Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Autoline Detroit program today said Ford wants a sportscar that can compete in the Viper price range (85K?). The reaction to the Cobra concept at the auto shows wasn't well received but they will be building the Shelby GR-1 coupe...

This is an older article where they aren't sure they'll build it, but it has pictures of the car.

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0408/13/b01-241628.htm

So if you can't afford the 150K GT, maybe you'll go for the GR-1 at only 85K...

This peon is going to take great pleasure in his Solstice. <biggrin>

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I love it. It would be a great compliment to the GT. I'll probably never have that kind of money though, so I will happy with my Solstice! Good job Ford!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Green Sleeper

Our first new car was a 1969 Plymouth Road Runner. We wanted a Cobra then but could not afford one. So my wife of less than a year saw a commercial on TV that consisted of the beep-beep of the horn and the sound of the exhaust pipes. She looked at me and said that was for us.

We drove to the dealer and he had three on the lot. We chose the green one which she named the Green Sleeper.
The option list was not very long two items were options on that car.

AM radio
426 Hemi High output

The citizens of Richmond, Virginia in the day of the muscle car came to know her; the little blond with lead foot. (She could out shift most guys Solstice Girl).

She would have loved the Solstice for its simplicity and style.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
pajarito69 said:
Our first new car was a 1969 Plymouth Road Runner.
That's how it goes for us average people. There are cars you want, and cars you can have. Your story illustrates how a lot of fun can be had with the cars we can have. Thankfully Pontiac has recognised that there are a lot of people hungry for sports cars they can have. I would love a Ford GT or a BMW Z8, but I can have a Solstice and for that I'm thrilled. I think I'm really going to love my Solstice while I dream of a GT. Who knows, maybe one day I'll get rich and it will turn out that the Solstice was actually the most fun!

·
Registered
281 Posts
pajarito69 said:
Our first new car was a 1969 Plymouth Road Runner. We wanted a Cobra then but could not afford one. So my wife of less than a year saw a commercial on TV that consisted of the beep-beep of the horn and the sound of the exhaust pipes. She looked at me and said that was for us.

We drove to the dealer and he had three on the lot. We chose the green one which she named the Green Sleeper.
The option list was not very long two items were options on that car.

AM radio
426 Hemi High output

The citizens of Richmond, Virginia in the day of the muscle car came to know her; the little blond with lead foot. (She could out shift most guys Solstice Girl).

She would have loved the Solstice for its simplicity and style.
sounds like your wife and my mom would have liked each other. my dad told me a story once. he had his badass 56 chebby 2door wagon, and being the cool guy he is, bought a used 69 runner for mom. 440 6pack, 727, red. engine and tranny had been prepped by a speed shop he did work for. she would come up and eat lunch with him when he worked. and when she'd leave, she'd hold it in first, slowly pull away and chirp the tires goin into second. he told me all the guys would ooh and ahhh and compliment him on such a cool wife. then he told me that when she wasnt driving it, he'd take it out, but he could never get the car to snatch second like she could.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Is it true the Cobra wasn't well received? I loved that thing. If I had Viper money I'd rather have the Cobra hands down. Did anyone see the 'Rides' episode where they detailed the new Cobra development? Seeing Carroll Shelby at 80 cutting donuts in that thing was too cool.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
Is it true the Cobra wasn't well received? I loved that thing. If I had Viper money I'd rather have the Cobra hands down. Did anyone see the 'Rides' episode where they detailed the new Cobra development? Seeing Carroll Shelby at 80 cutting donuts in that thing was too cool.
I know it was well received by some people, but from certain angles the styling just didn't quite pull off what it was going for making it look a little odd. Some angles looked great too, but not all IMO. I saw that Rides episode. It was a lot of fun. Carroll approved of it! :thumbs I think Ford sent it back to design to make some styling changes and enhancements. I think their goal is to round it out a little more to bring it a little more in line with how the original looked. I haven't heard anything since. Maybe an updated Cobra will appear this year at Detroit.

Either way, I thought it was cool! :smile

1 - 8 of 8 Posts