Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 139 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Fred, I assure you and everyone that the way non-supporting vendors is handled is not because of what the supporting vendors tell us is allowed or not. Our guidelines come from the site's owner and all of his site's try to operate the same. Coming to the forum to find information is paramount in many minds. And there are certainly products that would be such a short production run that it may not make economic sense for that vendor to pony up to full scale supporting vendor. Maybe we can achieve a happy medium, offering a more open market while still giving the paid supporters a return on their investment.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
For example: Lawrence that sells the brake light pulsar. As far as I know this is a non-competitive item. Why can't we list his email address or phone number, or show a link to his site within the forum without having to revert to emails and PMs???

fred
It doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not they would be in competition with a supporting vendor.

If people were allowed to post this sort of contact information on the forum for free, no vendor would be motivated to pay the fee to become a supporting member.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It doesn't really have anything to do with whether or not they would be in competition with a supporting vendor.

If people were allowed to post this sort of contact information on the forum for free, no vendor would be motivated to pay the fee to become a supporting member.
she's perfectly right....go to forums(plural) and you will see spam and stuff all over the place- totally unregulated

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
We will take the non-supporting vendor questions under advisement and try to discuss with forum ownership and vendors to get their take to see if any changes can be formulated. As achief mentioned our policies were molded on several other much larger forums owned by the same group. The fact is when vendors are paying good money to support this forum's operating costs this gets into a touchy area.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have another one....
and after carefully selecting the synonym.......

one of the most annoying things to me...that maybe could be handled via a programming change or via moderation is

I'm tired of seeing "POST PIGS" {plural} (use your own word) who feel the need to post to every thread all the time...even if it is just an emoticon.

how can that be controlled?
It seems to me that the programming could be altered to give us the choice to see or not to see emoticons. We already have the option to ignore some of the things that display.
For example: Click on [UserCP] at the top of the page on the tool bar. Then click [Edit Options] on the left. Scroll down to...

Thread Display Options:

Visible Post ElementsYou have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.

Show Signatures
Show Avatars
Show Images (including attached images and images in code)

Would it be possible to add emoticons to this list of things to ignore? I think they are fun sometimes, but often over used.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Get rid of tallies on posts. That will stop some of the aforementioned Post Pigs. Who cares who has the most posts?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Get rid of tallies on posts. That will stop some of the aforementioned Post Pigs. Who cares who has the most posts?
:agree:

Oooops....:devil:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
:agree:

Oooops....:devil:
That's why we don't display it on every page and every post. There may be valid uses of the numbers in the member list and if any privileges are tied to post count then it needs to show to at least the admins so they can verify proper application of the software.

·
Registered
138 Posts
how about a "solstice spotting" section so people stop cluttering the general solstice discussion with "ohhh i spotted a (insert color of sol) sol on (insert interstate) in (insert town).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Helping find cars.

Ever since I have been a member on the forum, the single most repeated issue seemed to be waiting on a dealer's wait list (ie; Number 1, 3rd, or even 8th) for a Solstice order. GXP's now seem to be the model everyone is having the most difficult time getting. How do you allow members who have access to information about available cars, to post that info without having to become a supporting dealer? The site only has two dealer members at this point and to have to sign up as a supporting dealer to get this needed information out ot the membership seems counter productive when the dealer will sell it, probably very easily, to a non forum member who has yet to see this site.

Of course, I realize someone (the posting member) may get chastized for possibly having too much markup for what they are asking on a particlar car, but is not having the info available depriving a much needed benefit to others?

·
Member FDIC
1,025 Posts
I would add new sections for various modifications. An engine/performance section (cat-backs, chips, turbos, etc.), an ICE section (or whatever you want to name the In Car Entertainment), wheels & tires, interior modifications (door unlock buttons, new seats, painted dashboards, etc.), and exterior modifications (vertical lift doors, body kits, paint, vinyl, etc.).

And I would love to see articles/threads in those sections. That's why I'm a member on this site is so that I can learn (and hopefully share) a few things.
I've been getting depressed about learning very little and seeing no news on the GXPs (not like anyone can help that). It feels like this site is filled with middle-aged folks who love to drive the car. I want more folks to share the uniqueness of their car; I want ideas, pictures, how-tos...I can put my foot on the gas pedal the same as everyone else on this forum, but I don't want to just drive the car.

I do like that there's sections for general tech, autocross, supporting vendors, for sale, and regional posts. It's a great start, now let's add to it so more of us can learn from it. Otherwise we're just going to repeat threads for years: "I love how this car feels/handles/accelerates/looks ... I know ... me too ... hooray ... party ... still waiting ... $30,000?! ... "
I mentioned this on another thread as well:

I was just thinking that maybe the forum could organize a mods section broken down into categories of systems or parts such as brakes, wheels, stereo, exhaust, exterior panels, etc. That way anyone who has modified their car will have it listed as to what they modified and give subjective and/or objective information about how it improved or worsened the car. For instance if I was thinking about upgrading my brake system, I could go to "modifications/brakes" and read about 5 members who have already done brake modifications. I know there is a performance section and also a "how to" section already, but this would be something a little different.

Keep in mind that this is probably one of, if not thee, finest car forums on the web. I have looked at forums for other cars and none seem to compare to this one, it's very familiar and just feels right. Although improvements can always be made, the forum can never seem perfect to every single member at any given time because we are all different, so some will have more gripes with the forum than others. Also, as the moderators have mentioned, there is a site owner, and the moderators may not be able to just do whatever they want so easily. Keep that in mind when thinking of improvements. Perhaps the best system would be to decide by majority vote. Of course some improvements might be obviously needed (like the red x image when clicking on "more" smilies), but others are more subjective. I'm not saying this is a bad thread, many good ideas have been posted here, I just want to express my opinion. This is a high quality forum.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I would like to see a "commission" formed.....

Purpose would be to sit around ........or conference call with the super mod's to air their bitches and gripes.

We have them at work.....they are called "360's" and it means 360 degrees of feedback from the grunts to the management.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
OH yeah...how about an ombudsman.Someone that ANYONE can go to with a gripe...and he will have the ability to get it not only heard.......but considered by upper levels.

In a sense he - or she- filters the wheat from the chaff- and moves it on down the line.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
OH yeah...how about an ombudsman.Someone that ANYONE can go to with a gripe...and he will have the ability to get it not only heard.......but considered by upper levels.

In a sense he - or she- filters the wheat from the chaff- and moves it on down the line.
D2 - isn't that really the role you are playing? I get very little in the way of PM suggestions. I scan the site help/info forum every time, and this is the only active topic here.

I am all for it - maybe people think I am a close minded butthead, but it sure seems like you have a better "inside" line.

BTW - this roundtable was an excellent idea. :thumbs:

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
If i am nominated I will run

If elected I will serve

·
Registered
685 Posts
Since it's common for new members to go straight to posting, rather than pore over all existing threads to see if their question has already been answered, how about (...and this sounds like probably more than a full-time job...) inserting a link to the original thread, or PM'ing it to the poster and closing the new post? We get way too many occurrences of:

New Guy: Hey! Is it just me, or is there this clunking sound when I shift gears?

Old Dog: This was posted long ago, dude.

Older Dog: Use the search function before posting something like this, man!

New Guy: I tried the search and nothing came up. Can you provide a link?

Old Dog: I don't remember where it is, but we've discussed it many times before.

Older Dog: Look harder. It's out there.

Brentil: :brentil:

·
Registered
685 Posts
  1. Be more consistent with combining threads. Not sure how the mod's break down which threads they review, but often (especially when the latest TV show, movie trailer, comic book or commercial featuring the Sol is broadcast) we get multiple threads about the exact same thing in different categories, each one taking on a life of its own.

Not really a feature...more of a management thing. Not that I don't appreciate all the hard work the mods do to keep us in line, already. :)

2. Have a Calendar view that shows all posts, regardless of which calendar the item was posted to.

3. Combine the Sol and Sky forums. I know we had a major discussion about the course of action to take way back when (whether to have one big forum, or a separate one for each Kappa), but looking at both, there's really very little "Make"-specific posts out there, and many of our members are posting the same thread (or a link to the other forum) on both. Keep both URLs, with the respective photo in the header, but put all threads into one forum. Possibly make a "Sol Specific" and "Sky Specific" category.

4. how about a "solstice spotting" section so people stop cluttering the general solstice discussion with "ohhh i spotted a (insert color of sol) sol on (insert interstate) in (insert town).
    Ditto for a "Track My Sol" and an "I Got Mine" section. Possibly reorganize the Forums into sections and sub-sections (i.e. click on "Regional Discussion" for a page that lists NE, SE, NC, SC, etc.)

5. I've seen another forum (hunted for it, so I could share the design here, but maybe someone else has seen it) that looks like vBulletin, but has a much cleaner look, instead of the boxy table that most forums use.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
search engine needs a lot of work.

I was lucky i remembered it was Crimson when I needed to look up double-clutching back in July...otherwise my search would not have worked.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I doubt there are too many members looking at their tally and thinking, "damn I only have a thousand and pigknuckle has one thousand and twenty-eight. I'd better start posting smileys everywhere". These are just talkative people trying to get a word in, IMO. If some people choose to communicate in that fashion so what. I find some are way too freakin cheery for me but this is a community at it take all kinds to make it interesting.

Along these same lines, I am sometimes annoyed by threads that start with, "just got my Solstice", and there are a hundred replies of "congrats" or something similar. You can skip through page after page to see if anything of substance has been added like, "how to stop the clunk with a penny", or you can just ignore the rest of the thread and move on. I can live with that, I'd rather not be too critical of how all of us different people choose to express ourselves here.

Also, no offense to our Canadian members but the Solstice is an American car (and one of the few to get this kind of attention) and I don't see why the stars and stripes should be deemed inappropriate or objectionable in the logo. I can see why you wouldn't want it stuck on the backside of your car in Ontario but certainly it can be tolerated on the forum.

That being said, I wouldn't object if the logo was changed at some point to make it cooler or something but not because some people don't want to see the American flag.

BTY I've been to a number of other forums and we have nothing to be ashamed of. Some of the changes mentioned would be nice but overall this is one of the best I've been to.

Elvis has left the soapbox.

21 - 40 of 139 Posts