Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 60 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I doubt there are too many members looking at their tally and thinking, "damn I only have a thousand and pigknuckle has one thousand and twenty-eight. I'd better start posting smileys everywhere". These are just talkative people trying to get a word in, IMO.

Elvis has left the soapbox.

Elvis......the places i've been...the stories I could tell.
Trust me...they're out there.....

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
[*]Be more consistent with combining threads.
Even we mods find ourselves posting what we may think is brand-new hot off the press info to find it is already here and discussed in detail. We have as much trouble as you determining what is inside a thread from the title. A quick PM to us (my box is empty, hint, hint) or use report a post and an email goes out to all mods at once. Sometimes if the new thread is short and has no new info we just let it fade away, rather than combine.

[/quote]
[*]Have a Calendar view that shows all posts, regardless of which calendar the item was posted to.[/quote] Are you referring to the calendat calendar or a different view for all posts? Here we will be limited by cpabilities of the software.

[*]Combine the Sol and Sky forums.
I think if you asked you might be surprised by the answer. We try to be non-exclusive and it appears all the regional clubs are doing the same. We might welcome a merging back into one, but at skyroadster they might reject the idea. If there were a way to post a news or performance item just once at it magically appeared on both site that would be fantastic.

[*]

Ditto for a "Track My Sol" and an "I Got Mine" section. Possibly reorganize the Forums into sections and sub-sections (i.e. click on "Regional Discussion" for a page that lists NE, SE, NC, SC, etc.)
We have been reluctant to organize too many sub and sub-sub forums because of the potential of getting completely lost and the site looking too busy. That's why there are not specific subs for audio mods and rear-end issues and tracking and got mine threads. The members that post that they got their car are looking for the largest audience to receive congrats and kudos, if they had to post that only in a regional area they might lose that big warm fuzzy. And tracking vehicles makes more sense on a collective basis, rather than creating a nightmare of posting tracking info in several areas at once. We do have the regional groups on board and that's the primary place for items that are of just a regional nature.

[*]I've seen another forum (hunted for it, so I could share the design here, but maybe someone else has seen it) that looks like vBulletin, but has a much cleaner look, instead of the boxy table that most forums use.
The "look" of the site can be modified ro an extent I would presume. But doubtful that Troy would switch one site and not all at once to different software. That decision is his alone.

search engine needs a lot of work.
No argument with you here. The default is time limited, many don;t realize that. To go back farther you need to use advanced search. Even then certain words are excluded,such as solstice, and some are too short, such as GXP.

Since it's common for new members to go straight to posting,
That's a habit that can't be broken. Re-directing them to the proper location for their answers, etc can be done by any member. Closing the thread does not mean it closes the discussion as now the poster will wonder why they cannot edit their previous post (which happens when a thread is closed)

I doubt there are too many members looking at their tally and thinking,......

Along these same lines, I am sometimes annoyed by threads that start with, "just got my Solstice", and there are a hundred replies of "congrats" or something similar. .......

Also, no offense to our Canadian members but ......

BTY I've been to a number of other forums and we have nothing to be ashamed of. ....
*D2 is right, some watch their count and yours:lol: like a hawk. Keeping it off the postings pages and only in the profile has helped and that is tyeh reason it is somewhat hidden. For purposes of new members and privileges it doe s have to be tracked somewhere. If it could be hidden from your view of D2's profile (or mine) would you still want to be able to see your own?
*They are looking, again, for that warm fizzy of being part of the group, being accepted.
*Troy got some flack from up north when the flag went up in 2005. I know there was some discussion at one time on possibiilities of offering choices of banners that you could select as your defaullt view. I know of some sites that offer choices in background color. Don't know how much bandwidth that would consume.
*I think it is one of the best around, as well. But improvement will keep us on top and that is what this thread is all about.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
jOHN...DON'T YOU HAVE GRAPES THAT NEED TO BE PICKED?

Wow...what a comprehensive answer

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
D2 - isn't that really the role you are playing? I get very little in the way of PM suggestions. I scan the site help/info forum every time, and this is the only active topic here.

I am all for it - maybe people think I am a close minded butthead, but it sure seems like you have a better "inside" line.

BTW - this roundtable was an excellent idea. :thumbs:
I just wanted to add that we also have a special forum that works sort of as a committee. Only the gold supporting members have access to that forum, and are invited to provide insight, suggestions, etc at any time in that section. Yet, even that section has seen limited use by the members who are contributing financially. So in a way, they are the committee for making suggestions, recommendations, etc. We just need them to make them! (as aluded to, anyone else can too. By PM, site help, etc).

This thread was an excellent idea! :thumbs:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Is there a Mod inbox? (instead of PM-ing a specific person we know is a mod.) It could possibly re-distribute your workload more evenly.

Calendar: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/calendar.php
- I gotta keep switching between National and Southeast depending on who posts where. An "all" calendar, that has a copy of posts from every other calendar would be great.

Just suggestions on the category/sub-category names. As far as "largest audience," I rarely go into a specific forum, but just scan the "New Posts" option. Of course, tech discussions are mixed with regional discussions that way, but it saves going out/in each one individually. My eye may also catch an interesting thread that I might have otherwise missed this way.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
ACTIVE TOPICS WORKS FINE TOO.

also if you check "Help" ...it sort of tells you which mods are responsible for what .

Other than that.....just see who is on-line at the time

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
The Solsticeforum Moderating Team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Troy Roberts
Site Administrator and Owner
(send Private Message to Troy Roberts)

Solsticeman
Assistant Adminstrator
(send Private Message to Solsticeman)

Brentil
Supermoderator - Supporting Dealer/Vendor Point of Contact
(send Private Message to Brentil)

Fformula88
Supermoderator
(send Private Message to Fformula88)

mceb
Supermoderator
(send Private Message to mceb)

RODEO
Super Moderator
(send Private Message to RODEO)

achieftain
(send Private Message to achieftain)

Aspenrose
(send Private Message to Aspenrose)

Crimson Avenger
(send Private Message to Crimson Avenger)

MomsSol
(send Private Message to MomsSol)

stang
(send Private Message to stang)

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Good stuff :thumbs: Rome wasn't built in a day so after we've collected up more ideas let's pick a few ones that are do-able and move forward :thumbs:

Wow I sound like some of the managers at work. All I need is a catchy slogan and I'll be the pointy-haired boss from Dilbert :willy: :lol:

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I have a question about PM's

why is the default set to save a copy?
I've checked my options and I can't disable it.

perhaps the reverse should be true...click here if you want to save a copy

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I have a question about PM's

why is the default set to save a copy?
I've checked my options and I can't disable it.

perhaps the reverse should be true...click here if you want to save a copy
Good question - I'll hand that one over to the tech people...

Never mind - when you send a PM, look at the "additional options" below the type-in text box.

One of the choices should be to save a copy - uncheck it. If this isn't the case, let me know and I'll find the settings to make it happen.

If you do that, i think it defaults to anything sent afterward.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
You can always empty your pm outbox but having a copy of what I sent woks for me in case I need to refer back to it, or send same thing to additional recips. I am not sure if acopy is saved when the recips box is full and they can't receive.

But if changes can be made...

Some forums assign mods to specific sub-forums, such as performance, news, gxp vs base, etc. The only divisions we really have are that Brentil is the point man for vendor contact and that Solsticeman is admin level. You have 4 super-mods and 5 regular mods. Without getting into detail the supermods have more powers and can see a few more things than regular mods. Other than that we try to share the workload. I do like the suggestion (if there was one) that maybe you could push a button and send a message to the entire staff at once. I know some members are more comfortable dealing with certain moderators and that is one reason we have more than one.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
...maybe a banner thread with a specific size for graphics and the best selected for the site. No compensation and all the artwork becomes property of the forum???

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
...maybe a banner thread with a specific size for graphics and the best selected for the site. No compensation and all the artwork becomes property of the forum???
Like a submission contest?

I think that's a good idea...

Current banner is 652 X 121 pixels at 72 dpi.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Like a submission contest?

I think that's a good idea...
There's some great GFX talent on this, and the sky, forum. I'll bet you'd have some good ones among the chaff.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
You can always empty your pm outbox but having a copy of what I sent woks for me in case I need to refer back to it, or send same thing to additional recips. I am not sure if acopy is saved when the recips box is full and they can't receive.

But if changes can be made...

Some forums assign mods to specific sub-forums, such as performance, news, gxp vs base, etc. The only divisions we really have are that Brentil is the point man for vendor contact and that Solsticeman is admin level. You have 4 super-mods and 5 regular mods. Without getting into detail the supermods have more powers and can see a few more things than regular mods. Other than that we try to share the workload. I do like the suggestion (if there was one) that maybe you could push a button and send a message to the entire staff at once. I know some members are more comfortable dealing with certain moderators and that is one reason we have more than one.
John..if you ask nicely, s-man may send you a PM we exchanged - on how this might work.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Old is new again--bring back the gauges banner.

I do not agree with this:

I think it should be Canada too, not just the states.

(voicing my opinion)
Dylan
Indeed, we've talked about this before, and I agree completely.

Everything old is new again, given enough time. How about bringing back the original banner with the gauges in the faded background behind the Solstice?

Really, this Banner went up more than a year ago about a week before Memorial Day (A US Holiday) in honor of that day (Kinda like Google does with their Google Holiday Logo Art, but theirs are usually up for one day only)

However, instead of just for the Holiday, the current banner stayed up after the holiday ended, and as it drew closer to the US Holiday of Independence day (July 4), it was decided to let the colors fly until after the 4th. That was 2005!

It's been up ever since, and I'm sure our Canadian, Mexican, and other colleagues might agree it's a bit battle worn...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
It seems to me that the programming could be altered to give us the choice to see or not to see emoticons. We already have the option to ignore some of the things that display.
For example: Click on [UserCP] at the top of the page on the tool bar. Then click [Edit Options] on the left. Scroll down to...

Thread Display Options:

Visible Post ElementsYou have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.

Show Signatures
Show Avatars
Show Images (including attached images and images in code)

Would it be possible to add emoticons to this list of things to ignore? I think they are fun sometimes, but often over used.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. There is a text view mode, but it's difficult to get to.

For this thread, here's the "Text" version accessed from the "Thread Tools" pull down menu: [URL="http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/printthread.php?t=22303"]Forum roundtable text version[/URL] Unfortunately, from that view all links take you back to a full graphics view mode...

Unfortunately, not displaying the emoticons wouldn't really help the problem of free posting, and post competitions.

I strongly suggest taking the top poster line off of the top right hand side of the site home page. It really shouldn't matter how many posts you have--it should be about quality, not quantity.

·
2,574 Posts
If i am nominated I will run

If elected I will serve
I think it's a good idea and D-2 would make a good Ombudsman. I hope he knows what he's asking for, however. I was an Ombudsman for The State of Rhode Island in a specific area that involved the cops, courts, prison, legislature, administration, etc. etc. and you won't be Mr. Nice Guy, believe me. And my constituancy was a rather unpopular one. It's a valuable function if allowed to be conducted properly. Good Luck D-2 You have my vote. -bird

41 - 60 of 139 Posts