Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Mike,
My opinion is simple. I don't think we need anyone between the members and the Mods. It's just my opinion, but I would guess lots of other members would agree. We all have to decied what we do each day and where we go from here. This Forum has a fantastic group of people who love a beautiful car. I don't see hugh problems, I see diffenrence in opinions which is normal. In the end it will be what Troy decides is right, not what we decide, and it will be our decision as to where we go from there.
EXACTLY...not our call.

we also serve who sit and wait

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Mike,
My opinion is simple. I don't think we need anyone between the members and the Mods. It's just my opinion, but I would guess lots of other members would agree. We all have to decied what we do each day and where we go from here. This Forum has a fantastic group of people who love a beautiful car. I don't see hugh problems, I see diffenrence in opinions which is normal. In the end it will be what Troy decides is right, not what we decide, and it will be our decision as to where we go from there.
:agree: I heartily concur with XMM. I was very sad when recent events fell out the way they did, but in as much as I was not directly involved, I assumed I did not need to know details, so did not seek them. (I found some things out anyway, but not through forum channels.)

My bottom line on this issue/thread: I also have no problems PM-ing a mod if I feel the need.

I really appreciate your attitude and efforts here, Druid-2. I am fully convinced that you (as I assume most, if not all of us do) simply want a civil, fun place for people of lkike interests to communicate and celebrate our Sol's.

Just my 2¢,

--Chemist

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
A lot of the old timers have no issues with the mods and are comfortable one on one...myself included.

I never presumed to speak for anyone but myself.

Let the ownership decide what- if anything- is to be done

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Mike,
XMM, I agree with you in that I myself do not personally have a problem contacting one of the mods directly. But I am one of the "longer-time" members of the forum and remember when most of the current mods were just forum members like me, and they seem more like friends than "rulers".

But that does not mean that I can't see the opposing viewpoint of those who would rather not communicate with the mods directly. I would feel very bad denying a voice to those who are just not comfortable with direct contact with the mods. There are many types of personalities out there. If there are even a few folks out there who would prefer to communicate through an ombudsman or other third party, and volunteers willing to accept that role, why deny them the right? It does not interfer with the ability of others like you and I to directly contact the mods if we choose to. It is just one more way to increase communication amongst the forum members.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I find it funny that someone would not want to speak up for themselves and take issues to the mods. Maybe these individuals are just taking things way too seriously. The mods here seem very open to accepting suggestions and ideas from the forum. This thread is just one example. If someone is fearful of retribution from the mods for what they have to say, maybe they should think about how they are saying it, and not what they are saying.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
then i don't have to bump this...it is still getting attention?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
then i don't have to bump this...it is still getting attention?
I still see the views increment, but not a lot of new posts so far. The views are prolly incrementing as people who haven't been on in a while see this in their pile of 'unread' posts...

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
anything ever come of restoring the ability to PM several people at once instead of one at a time

or is this a "buy in" thing?

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Mike,
Unless I misunderstand the system (which is quite possible), I have "bought-in" and I can't PM more than one person at a time.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
anything ever come of restoring the ability to PM several people at once instead of one at a time

This is a right reserved for Supporting members of the forum.

Mike,
Unless I misunderstand the system (which is quite possible), I have "bought-in" and I can't PM more than one person at a time.
As a Lifetime Supporting member you should have the ability to PM up to 100 people at once according to the system. Have you tried doing it? You do it by separating the names with semi-colons. The system might say you can only do one but you should be able to do multiple. Give it a test, send one to yourself and me at the same time.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts

Even the basic entry level "support" will get you going.

XMM, yours would not be the first glitch in the system and could be related to permissions carryover from First 1000 (now Founding Member)

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
As a Lifetime Supporting member you should have the ability to PM up to 100 people at once according to the system. Have you tried doing it? You do it by separating the names with semi-colons. The system might say you can only do one but you should be able to do multiple. Give it a test, send one to yourself and me at the same time.
brentil,
Thanks for the input. I'll give it a try. When I tried before I didn't have the names separated by semi-colins. Thanks again.
xmm

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
did we just solve a "problem" ?

·
Retired Free Range Sols
9,964 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I have a bone to pick with one of the moderators...

who shall remain nameless unless he chooses to identify himself here.

First he warned me against "trying to pit one vendor against another" in a discussion.

I don't see where this is prohibited in the rules. If it isn't allowed, please add it so this "enforcement" doesn't look so arbitrary. I was not trying to incite a flame war; I was just trying to get them to discuss the relative merits of their products so that I and other members can make a more informed buying decision. I didn't start the thread; someone else did, and the title of the thread was, essentially, "which of these two products is better," so it seemed totally appropriate to me to encourage the two vendors to address that question.

Second, he pulled several of my posts that I posted in response to three people who posted whiny messages about how tired they are of threads that discuss the issue at hand. The first one might have arguably been inappropriate, but in the second one I just pointed out that I and other users might be getting tired of them complaining about how tired they are.

Personally, I think it's out of line for someone to say someone else should not be having a discussion simply because it doesn't interest them anymore. I got tired of the "band names" game a long time ago, so guess what? I stopped reading it. What kind of a self-absorbed jerk would I be if I posted a message saying, "okay, this thread should stop now because I'm tired of it"? These three individuals are not moderators, so if they try to throw water on a thread, I feel I have a right to respond. If the moderator felt my post should have been pulled, he should have also pulled the three posts that prompted it.

If I am incorrect in my interpretation of the rules and/or purpose of this forum, could someone please explain to me where I went wrong?

I've taken several days to try to cool down about this, but I'm still angry. If a moderator can keep getting away with this kind of arbitrary enforcement and blatant favoritism, then I see no reason why I should continue to participate in these forums. A few months ago I quit for about a month because of a similar problem with the same individuals. If I quit again, I won't come back.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
who shall remain nameless unless he chooses to identify himself here.

First he warned me against "trying to pit one vendor against another" in a discussion.

I don't see where this is prohibited in the rules. If it isn't allowed, please add it so this "enforcement" doesn't look so arbitrary. I was not trying to incite a flame war; I was just trying to get them to discuss the relative merits of their products so that I and other members can make a more informed buying decision. I didn't start the thread; someone else did, and the title of the thread was, essentially, "which of these two products is better," so it seemed totally appropriate to me to encourage the two vendors to address that question.

Second, he pulled several of my posts that I posted in response to three people who posted whiny messages about how tired they are of threads that discuss the issue at hand. The first one might have arguably been inappropriate, but in the second one I just pointed out that I and other users might be getting tired of them complaining about how tired they are.

Personally, I think it's out of line for someone to say someone else should not be having a discussion simply because it doesn't interest them anymore. I got tired of the "band names" game a long time ago, so guess what? I stopped reading it. What kind of a self-absorbed jerk would I be if I posted a message saying, "okay, this thread should stop now because I'm tired of it"? These three individuals are not moderators, so if they try to throw water on a thread, I feel I have a right to respond. If the moderator felt my post should have been pulled, he should have also pulled the three posts that prompted it.

If I am incorrect in my interpretation of the rules and/or purpose of this forum, could someone please explain to me where I went wrong?

I've taken several days to try to cool down about this, but I'm still angry. If a moderator can keep getting away with this kind of arbitrary enforcement and blatant favoritism, then I see no reason why I should continue to participate in these forums. A few months ago I quit for about a month because of a similar problem with the same individuals. If I quit again, I won't come back.
Austin, first of all, don't quit here because of any one individual or moderator. We will always have to deal with personalities on here and to let a single one drive you off is silly.

Rules interpretations sometimes leave me baffled too. We have several overlapping vendors on here with similar products. Wanting to know others opinions of these products before we drop hard earned cash on them is only natural. I thought the purpose of this forum was to share information with fellow Solstice owners.

Sometimes I have felt like the supporting vendors probably care a whole lot less about these incidents than the Mods that jump in to protect them. Supporting the forum for them is just another form of advertising in the attempt to make their products visable.

If I have purchased a product from a supporting vendor and I find out that it is of poor quality or they have poor customer service. I will post it here. I don't feel that their supporting status is a form of protection from critizism. This is a public forum.

If I am wrong about this, I'm sorry, it is just my opinioun

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
brentil,
Thanks for the input. I'll give it a try. When I tried before I didn't have the names separated by semi-colins. Thanks again.
xmm
Just a tip on the multiple PM thing.

When you want to list all the people to send to just start typing their name in box and when it pops up the little menu with similar choices, click on the one you want and it is added to the list. This method automatically puts in the semi-colons and you don't have to worry about capital letters and things in usernames.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts