Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fformula88 said:
Thanks for your time!

As the Solstice has now hit production, the excitement level on the forum has certainly increased.

With this increased excitement, the moderator team has noticed that many of us are a little on edge. Everyone here is very passionate about the car, and that passion combined with the excitement of the release of the car, and the long wait before deliveries start can wear on us sometimes. It can make us become short, rude, or impolite in our replies.

So please, remember to stay patient. Treat other member's questions with the same polite curtosey you would expect your comments to be treated with. Take that extra minute to read over what you are posting, and be certain you are not being unduly harsh or critical, and that what you are trying to express is actually what you said.

Thanks for your attention! :cheers:
Who asked you, anyway? :)

Funny that you made this post. I was just scrolling through the "New Posts" list looking for new posts on my favorite threads (as I seem to do 100 times a day now) thinking how I would rather go watch TV than catch up. This isn't normal and I couldn't figure out why until I read your post and I realized you guys were right and there has been a lot of bad mojo floating the last few days. So yeah, let's do what the man said. Hugs for everyone. :grouphug:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I confess to being an offender :blush:

But if I said anything as stupid as:
'the fog lights are too big'
'the trunk is too small'
'I want a top without wrinkles'
'the rims are too big'
'the engine sounds like a lawn mower'

I think I should be tarred and feathered :willy: .

... no wait, I do want a top without wrinkles ;)

Honestly, the wait has been long, tedious and frustrating. It is awfully easy to react harshly. I hope everyone keeps that in mind - both when reading and writting :grouphug:

(... except that one guy, I really meant what I said about his dog :devil: ).

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I agree things have been a LITTLE tense around here. But some of that is just reflex defenses, when the first words out of a newbies keyboard (both here and on our sister Sky site) "I don't like this, I hate that, if that's how they build cars I'll ride a dead horse, etc, etc, etc." We have been waiting, some of us, for over 50 years for the excitement to be all about Pontiac and not a vehicle shared with Chevy (not withstanding that sister Sky is on the way) Other than original F.I. Bonnie, GTO, Fiero, Pontiac's performance cars have been lost in the General's shuffle. Which came first, Camaro or Firebird? See, I am so indoctrinated that I can't even write Firebird before Camaro. ;)

The OHC Tempest with torque tube and rear mounted transaxle got lost behind the Skylark, F85 and Corvair. The GTO did spark a true muscle car era, but after the insurance wars (who could raise rates the fastest) and the days of gas rationing and oil embargos.

So you see, even if Pontiac gets some things wrong in the overall scheme of things we'll take it. Why? Because what other American built AND engineered 2 seat roadster can you buy for this price? Like L.I used to say and now it's being said for him: "If you can find a better-built American car (in this segment, ny add), BUY IT."

·
Registered
40 Posts
First Post

Thanks for this post. I have been lurking just outside this forum and had about decided not to participate because it was getting a little too edgy. I have been through this wait before with RX-7, New Beetle and PT Cruiser. I never had any contact with Mazda, Volkswagen or Chrysler. This has been a pleasant experience as far as Pontiac's interaction with me. My dealer, Ferguson Pontiac in Norman, Oklahoma does not have much info, but they are extremely nice and don't mind me bugging them. So this forum is my main source of information and I thank you! Some people don't like the Solstice and that is fine. That's why there are so many different makes and models out there. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Again thanks for all the good info.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I stand by awaiting further information the the future of driving excitement!!! :willy:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Time was...

wally said:
Thanks for this post. I have been lurking just outside this forum and had about decided not to participate because it was getting a little too edgy. I have been through this wait before with RX-7, New Beetle and PT Cruiser. I never had any contact with Mazda, Volkswagen or Chrysler. This has been a pleasant experience as far as Pontiac's interaction with me. My dealer, Ferguson Pontiac in Norman, Oklahoma does not have much info, but they are extremely nice and don't mind me bugging them. So this forum is my main source of information and I thank you! Some people don't like the Solstice and that is fine. That's why there are so many different makes and models out there. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Again thanks for all the good info.
Welcome Wally!

A few months back, it was an understanding place with the ocassional flare-up. Recently, it did become tedious, but I suspect the tide will turn. The recent poll on the fog/reverse lights was well conducted, and quite civil.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Welcome Wally and Fformula88, thanks for the advice. Now if we can just take it and roll on. As mother use to say, "It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye!" :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

·
Registered
137 Posts
As much as I share your thoughts and opinions about the forum getting edgy and that we need to step back and take a deep breath, I'd like to point out that our recent experiences in this sequence of posts further supports the premise that Pontiac (and the General) have finally hit a Grand Slam with the Sol!

This vehicle's primary purpose was to create brand excitement and redirect the public's interest in a failing brand and a struggling parent organization.

How many vehicles can you think of that have stirred this much public excitement? Now, how many DOMESTIC vehicles can you remember in recent years that have caused this much public excitement?? Finally, how many PONTIACS can you remember in the course of this brand's existence have caused this much public excitement???

Our excitement AND anxiety which is being expressed in our posts reflects the success of Pontiac's newest halo vehicle. Whenever you have this much interest in a vehicle, there is sure to be varying opinions leading to vigorous exchanges.

In the end we must all remember that we share a common passion for a great automobile, and despite our infrequent disagreements, we all agree that Pontiac has done it right with the Solstice and we are about to share in an incredible journey of a renewed brand, exciting ride and the start of model run that will make automotive history!

I am thrilled to be a member of this awesome group and to be lucky enough to be a future owner of what I'm sure will be a legendary vehicle for the Pontiac division. :yesnod:
:cool:

·
Registered
245 Posts
good things come to those who wait.

as long as we have all been waiting for this car, it will be that much better when we actually get them. I HOPE!!! but long as the wait is i will still be waiting for mine. would hate to give it up after this long.

try to stay positive and remember why we all come to this site. the solstice of course :) :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree with the Mayor. I think this could possibly be the car that could save Pontiac. I haven't bought an American brand since 1986 and this is the first American car that I have had an interest in since then. I do believe this car will bring a lot of traffic into Pontiac showrooms and some people will walk out with something else. I know that after I get the Solstice I may go back to trade in my Murano for a new Grand Prix. Someone posted a while back they just bought a Bonneville and may go back to buy a Vibe for their daughter.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
:thumbs: Thanks for everyone's feedback and comments!

achieftan has mentioned one of the areas that has caused some threads to turn a little ugly. People getting defensive when someone crticizes the Solstice. It's definately natural, since most everyone here really loves the car. We just need to remember, we can discuss and disagree with someone's opinion in a polite manner. No need to act defensively about it.

Maksys also hit a good sticking point. New members who ask questions that have been asked and answered a million times, and topics we have beaten into the ground in the past. In fact, we have an emoticon for this which has been named after Brentil... :brentil: It can get frustrating seeing the same topics get posted about again and again, but we have to remember the new members asking those questions have not been on the forum to see the past discussion, and they may also not have used an internet forum enough to be familiar with how to search for answers, or even where to search for answers. So we should do our best to stay patient with them. Many of their topics can be answered by our FAQ section, and it may be a good idea to refer them to that section for some preliminary reading before they go on asking tons of questions. No need to be short with them either.

Thanks again for the thoughts and examples! I am sure things will get better soon, as people's frustrations are eased with the arrival of their new cars!

:grouphug:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Don't get me wrong here. I can't wait to get my solstice. But so far, I can't see how it will be helping Pontiac in the near future. Just about everyone I show the solstice brochure to has never seen or heard of it. There is no advertising. And why should they. They've already sold more cars than they can deliver in a reasonable amount of time. So when we finally do get our cars we will be the start of their advertising campagne. Once there are a few (and I mean very few) solstices on the road people will then sit up and take notice. I'll be really proud of mine. I just hope I'll be able to fit my big head in the car.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't know that the Solstice will 'save' Pontiac, but I am certain it go a long way towards making the division credible in that the car will be well-built, handsome, lean, and generally just one of the most roadworthy cars that Pontiac has produced in a long time.
Would that any of us that on the manufacturing end had the misfortune of having more sales than we can possibly deliver in the shortest amount of time! It's my belief that the initial cars sold will indeed be rolling advertisements. I cannot imagine any Solstice owner not extolling it's virtures, and too, it's drawbacks, but it's all a trade-off and bottom line, it will be a wonderful car, art in sheet metal, beautiful whether at curbside or in motion. A car that will make some smile and remember another time, and others, lust with wanting.
It is that handsome isn't it?
Those at Pontiac and GM responsible for it's fruition will be proud as well they should be.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
cuzsolstice said:
Don't get me wrong here. I can't wait to get my solstice. But so far, I can't see how it will be helping Pontiac in the near future. Just about everyone I show the solstice brochure to has never seen or heard of it. There is no advertising. And why should they. They've already sold more cars than they can deliver in a reasonable amount of time. So when we finally do get our cars we will be the start of their advertising campagne. Once there are a few (and I mean very few) solstices on the road people will then sit up and take notice. I'll be really proud of mine. I just hope I'll be able to fit my big head in the car.
I agree that alot on here and the Sky forum have been overly criticle of a car they have never even seen in person much less driven. but it seems that those that have seen and driven one have very little criticism of the car..
And for how it will help Pontiac or even Saturn with the Sky will more be what happens after they hit the streets, the quality, and beautiful design when people see them and say That's a Pontiac(Saturn)???? and we say yes, are you surprised? all their cars are of this quality now, you should check them out... that Will help Pontiac and Saturn...but only if their quality is up to the competition....

1 - 20 of 55 Posts