Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Well, well, look what I found. It's looking a little ruff around the edges but it sure looks like Rudy's old Solstice that he used to develop custom parts for his Aftershock Products Company. I'm seeing his two-piece side skirts, ducktail spoiler, shifter ring & HVAC rings, & rear center exhaust valance. The only thing I don't recognize is the two piece custom front spoiler, though it looks like it could have been one piece at some time? It's for sale and looks to be located in Houston TX and has over 91,000 miles on it now. It was a way sharp car back in the day.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood
Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light Car
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Hood
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Vehicle registration plate Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light Car
Speedometer Car Gear shift Vehicle Trip computer

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,345 Posts

Well, well, look what I found, It's looking a little ruff around the edges but it sure looks like Rudy's old Solstice that he developed custom parts on for his Aftershock Products Company. I'm seeing his two-piece side skirts, ducktail spoiler, shifter ring & HVAC rings, & rear center exhaust valance. The only thing I don't recognize is the two piece custom front spoiler, though it looks like it could have been one piece at some time? It's for sale and looks to be located in Houston TX and has over 91,000 miles on it now. It was a way sharp car back in the day.
View attachment 124607 View attachment 124608 View attachment 124609 View attachment 124610 View attachment 124611 View attachment 124612 View attachment 124613 View attachment 124614 View attachment 124615
My favorite spoiler for the car. Strange it doesn't have his recessed grills…
The rings around the hvac sure look a lot like the ones on my 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler…

·
Premium Member
18,741 Posts
He made some very nice designs but it was a hobby and never sufficiently funded to get his business up and running.

Aftershock Products... | Pontiac Solstice Forum

Lot of names in these old threads that just disappeared . . .
Been a while since I saw MadMods. Too bad about him.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My favorite spoiler for the car. Strange it doesn't have his recessed grills…
The rings around the hvac sure look a lot like the ones on my 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler…
Gosh I forgot about the recessed grills he developed. I have two sets of them. One set is on my 06, and the other set in sitting on a shelf in the garage. I've thought about having them scanned & 3D printed but I figured it would cost more than I was willing to pay.
Glasses Vision care Eyewear Mesh Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,345 Posts
Gosh I forgot about the recessed grills he developed. I have two sets of them. One set is on my 06, and the other set in sitting on a shelf in the garage. I've thought about having them scanned & 3D printed but I figured it would cost more than I was willing to pay. View attachment 124617
I wonder if 3D printing resolution has improved enough to eliminate the need for sanding of the internal honeycomb? (That was the conversation back then right?)
Regardless Norm eventually came through with his own version that recycles the stock grills so maybe not a big market to re-do them?
Plus i believe these are Rudy's intellectual property and no one seems to know what happened to him so I am not sure how you would get permission?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I wonder if 3D printing resolution has improved enough to eliminate the need for sanding of the internal honeycomb? (That was the conversation back then right?)
Regardless Norm eventually came through with his own version that recycles the stock grills so maybe not a big market to re-do them?
Plus i believe these are Rudy's intellectual property and no one seems to know what happened to him so I am not sure how you would get permission?
i really really wanted a set of those grilles but was too late.. i didn't want to use Norm's because i don't want to sacrifice a set of OEM grilles to cut out the honeycomb section. if they could be printed, maybe in one piece, it would be GREAT..

Bill

·
Administrator
11,666 Posts
Along the same lines, has anyone ever looked into 3D printing the OEM Grills?
I gotta imagine with time there will be “some” market for that as well…
Wouldn't that be infringing on GM's intellectual property and difficult to get permission for?

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm not sure how Rudy managed to make molds for them, but there was casting flash on the polygons of the inner grills. But it was only paper thin and after you broke it off you just had to sand the hexagon cell smooth for paint. The other issue was the casting material used, it's very brittle. I once asked Rudy what the composite was but he never answered. Also, the backside of the recessed grills has the same type of mounting taps that the OEM grills do. But the OEM grills tabs are flexible, and the Aftershock grills aren't. I think I broke three or four of them off trying to get them mounted to the fascia, and I was going slow and being careful. Like I said, brittle composite material. But I knew these recessed grills were considered prototypes, and I'm still glad I bought them.

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Wouldn't that be infringing on GM's intellectual property and difficult to get permission for?
Like the tulip flaps?
Obviously I think everyone would prefer GM to continue to make them available but.... They dont seem to care about Pontiholics.
Body Plastics and rubber are the obvious low hanging fruit.
Just pondering, I wonder where the whole "right to repair" thing falls in reproducing obsolete and/or discontinued parts versus manufacturers "planned obsolesence".
Some interesting legal ground here as 3D printing matures and reproducing things like parts to keep machines running will become more common.

If you had asked me ten years ago about the future of 3D printing, i would have guessed that we would have some nationwide 3D printing chain version of Kinko's where you could get that (random example) impossible to find plastic part for your 2001 Kenmore Washing machine printed on demand. Naturally a licensing fee to the patent holder would be a part of the price. Or alternatively manufacturers could set up subscription fees to their "cad library" to my imaginary company. Seems like a way to capitalize on pre-existing work, sort of like a music catalog that keeps paying dividends.
Alas, that doesnt seem likely.

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
I was actually thinking more like Rudy's grills that you were concerned about a few posts previously.
Yes I picked up on that inference John.
Well, in response (completely personal opinion and distinction here but) i will always root for "the little guy" or the underdog (Rudy) and their passion projects over the giant corporation (GM).
Also, really curious what happened to him.
I already know what happened to GM :)

·
Administrator
11,666 Posts
Yes I picked up on that inference John.
Well, in response (completely personal opinion and distinction here but) i will always root for "the little guy" or the underdog (Rudy) and their passion projects over the giant corporation (GM).
Also, really curious what happened to him.
I already know what happened to GM :)
I don't completely disagree with you, and for the record I personally don't see any problem with copying parts from any source as long as you don't represent them as anything other than a copy.

I just found it amusing that you drew the distinction between the two sources.

·
Registered
620 Posts

·
Registered
2006 red 2.4 5sp, very low km
93 Posts
I read a while back about Ford (new maverick) offering the file for self 3d printing of various components. I thought at the time that was a great idea and as a previous forum member posted, about a company doing the printing. He was wondering why no one has started up as a service company similar to a kinko's or staples. I think that is a great idea......hopefully more car companies and other manufacturers expand the idea, to offer the files for any number of parts, that would be conducive to the technology.

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
He was wondering why no one has started up as a service company similar to a kinko's or staples.
There are plenty of companies online that will print whatever you want. Just send them a file and they'll print it in your choice of materials, even metal. Cost is by size and material choice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts