Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I found this GM part #15267811 laying loose in my trunk. Here is the diagram. I cannot make sense where it goes. I also question how to mount it, wondering if there is an adhesive backing that is no longer on the part. I want the car to be proper, not just forget this little thing assuming there is a good reason to have it. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Goes on the trunk lid, pushes the 'vert roof down when it closes. You should have two (one each side). Mounts with double-sided sticky.

You can see one here on the far left edge of the photo, just above center:

·
Administrator
9,780 Posts
Make sure, if you re-install it, that the rubber pad is still on it, and check the other one, too.
Without the rubber pads they will wear holes in the fabric of the top.

My personal opinion is that they are unnecessary, a risk to the top, and should be removed.
The '08 that I just adopted has a pair of little holes in the top because the rubber pads were missing.
I removed them from my '07 when the rubber pads came loose shortly after I got the car and have never missed them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
BUMP...My 08 GXP is missing the rubber on one of the bumpers, and has started to wear the cloth (no holes yet). Has anyone seen any impact from removing their bumpers? Other wear spots showing? Anything?

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
And not one comment about the cadaver in a Solstice trunk? lol

(That was actually an owner's girlfriend, wasn't it? And I mean it was a "live" girlfriend - just to clarify!)

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
Several members have removed them with no reported issues

I maintain ours and keep them. They are part of the design to reduce unconstrained motion by the top and rear glass.

·
Administrator
9,780 Posts
I actually think they are there more to help squeeze the top into the trunk while the lid is being closed. The one thing I have noticed is that, without the bumpers, the top has to be seated very well by hand or the lid won't latch. That tells me, even if I haven't done any sort of actual measurement, that the top fits really close to the inside of the lid, close enough, at least to preclude any real motion.

I also think that, if the top was shifting up and down, I would be able to hear the scraping of the pins in their guides. I have never heard anything, and I haven't seen any evidence of rubbing.

Keeping them or not is truly a personal preference. I just don't want to have to maintain them, and don't want to worry about them.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
The one thing I have noticed is that, without the bumpers, the top has to be seated very well by hand or the lid won't latch. That tells me, even if I haven't done any sort of actual measurement, that the top fits really close to the inside of the lid, close enough, at least to preclude any real motion.
If that's what you find with yours, then you may want to do this: Mod: Simple 'No-roof-wear-from-trunk-liner' fix

Since I did it with mine, the top just falls into place. Even if you see no visible rubbing, the side carpeting may be impeding the top sitting into place.

·
Administrator
9,780 Posts
Thanks TS, but I have checked and that isn't happening with the '07. It is with the '08 and I have that mod in my plans for sorting out the car. I think it is just the friction and tension of the top folding, sometimes it doesn't quite go flat. After the first time, and until I raise the top again, the lid closes without issue. That's why I think the bumpers are there to provide leverage during closing.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My personal experience was, "I wish I'd thrown mine as far as possible, while also hurling obscenities". My '07's rubber parts fell off and left the adhesive residue pressed against the canvas top, eventually being infused into the top as two permanent square gray marks. (Thanks GM for another engineering marvel.) I keep a bath towel in my trunk now-when the top is down it (the towel) gets folded in half the long way and laid across the top where the deck lid would hit it. It's easy to know where it has to go, since I have those two marks as a visual centerline...

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Actually I believe the bumpers are there to exert pressure on the trunk lid in the right places. I've noticed several Sols with creases in the trunk lid, where it has actually deformed, due to too much volume in the trunk, or too much pressure against the lid in the wrong places.

Wasn't that a trunk monkey in the pic ? X

·
Registered
14 Posts
Goes on the trunk lid, pushes the 'vert roof down when it closes. You should have two (one each side). Mounts with double-sided sticky.

You can see one here on the far left edge of the photo, just above center:

Is this how the wife's supposed to travel when we go on weekend roadtrips and need some luggage space? :grin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts