Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem. A friend of mine was riding with me this weekend and said it sounded like I had a leak from my window. I told her it was probably just nothing and I usually don't notice any sound because I have the radio up loud. However, my curiosity got the better of me today when I didn't have the radio on at all and I also heard a loud windy sound coming from the passenger side... different than the normal sound I hear from the drivers side.

So when I got out of my car I checked the passenger side and noticed that the frame to the convertible top where it meets the window isn't meeting up right. I can actually put my finger through the space and touch the inside of the window. How do I get this fixed? Where do I take my car to get it fixed? Estimated price would be helpful!!!

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Is the pin for the top into the hole on the header each side. Make sure when you latch down your top that the doors are open or at least the windows are down a little. Will make placing of the pins much easier. If it isn't that problem, maybe you bent the pin. Don't know if that is possible.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
Could use more info

There are a number of possibilities. If theroblem is in the hinge above the window, using dry lobe mau be called for. The windows are adjustable for height and lean angle. It is possible that the " foot" on the right side is not aligning up with the rubber seat immediately behind the door.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
If you push down and secure the buttresses (pyramid shaped parts on the back of the top) before you latch the top at the windshield; you can cause an air leak. Always latch the front first, then secure the rear. Also always leave windows down when putting the top up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rob-

I think what you are talking about is what I'm trying to explain. About the "foot" not meeting up with the rubber seat? I don't know... maybe I can take a picture to better explain what I am talking about. I'm a chick and not all that familiar with what things are called or whatever lol

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
First question...is the gap along the top of the window or along the back edge? If so, do you lower your window when you put the top up?

It may be a simple adjustment to buttress (flap) to pull the entire side of the top more snug.

Another issue I've seen happen is that the bottom edge of the buttress does not properly slide into the "mussel" gasket that is located at the back edge near the door. Making the adjustment to the buttress will also fix this issue. A good shop should be able to locate a TSB on either issue and fix it quickly with minimal cost.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Pics would definitely be helpful. My 07 top (as purchased) has a fabric issue right at the hinge areas. I noticed that the metal piece that overlaps the hinge when fully flat had caught and bent upward. I've since put it back, but the seam in the canvas (both sides) has to be tucked under when putting the top back up. Basically I life the top half way up to where it will stay on it's own, then I tuck both sides in before lowering the front to the windshield.

Have to be very careful getting those pins on the front into the holes. My weatherstripping was damaged by the previous owner not quite grasping that concept. So far I don't have a water leak up there but then again, we've never driven it in the rain!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I think my co-workers helped me find the problem. There was a connecter that is attached to a ball looking thing that is bolted to the frame. But the screw that conencts into the connecter that is attached to the ball came out. It is a plastic piece and it was just hanging there I guess. I am picking up the part from the GM dealer on Friday and hopefully that will fix the problem. Rob posted a diagram previously. The part that was not connected anymore is part 25 in the diagram that was posted previously. This connecter was not connected to part 24. Part 25 is plastic and it looks like the threading inside has worn down.

http://http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/help-convertible-top-leaking-69575/

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
So I think my co-workers helped me find the problem. There was a connecter that is attached to a ball looking thing that is bolted to the frame. But the screw that conencts into the connecter that is attached to the ball came out. It is a plastic piece and it was just hanging there I guess. I am picking up the part from the GM dealer on Friday and hopefully that will fix the problem. Rob posted a diagram previously. The part that was not connected anymore is part 25 in the diagram that was posted previously. This connecter was not connected to part 24. Part 25 is plastic and it looks like the threading inside has worn down.

http://http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/help-convertible-top-leaking-69575/
Looks like you found exactly what I was talking about :yay: hopefully your co-workers can fix it for you!

·
Premium Member
686 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Good to see the problem solved. But that part about fitting the foot is very important before latching the top. Check both sides first. If the ball of the weatherstrip on the convertable top isn't seated all the way forward into the socket of the weatherstrip on the body, pull and wiggle the top forward till both sides are seated :jm2c:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts