Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago I loaned my '06 Solstice to a friend and he adjusted the outside rearview mirrors. Ever since then I wasn't able to move them back and have been living with it. Yesterday I fixed the switch in the drivers door AT NO COST and it was easy.
Steps:
1. Pop out the switch from the door (no need to remove the door card like I did)
2. Remove the switch from the wiring harness (not really necessary but sounds good)
3. Pop open the switch. You'll see a red rubber piece with a lot of brass pins stuck through it.
4. Lightly sand those pins with emery or fine sand paper (caution: don't let them pop out of the red rubber holder.)
5. Put it all back together, start the car and it should work!
Easy Peesy and Free.
Apparently this switch wasn't protected against the eventual oxidation that a convertible sees on all it's interior electronics.
Now to try the same to the wonky switches in the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
FYI

I had to replace my power mirror switch as it was corroded within the switch itself and not on the pins.
When I took the switch part there was corrosion and rust within the switch and looked like it was due to water entering the switch due to open window or top down.

But your recommendation is noteworthy.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was sure I'd have to replace the switch as well but thought I'd give this a shot. I was actually surprised it worked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New Solstice owner here, recently ran into the same issue (locksmith had to fish a broken key out of the driver side door and after popping it off, lost side mirror control).

I had to pop the interior door panel to get to the pins OP mention to be able to line the cable up and feed it back through inside (the locksmith neglected to reattach the cable). Only issue now is that power was only working for the driver's side mirror--2nd time's the charm!

No need to order parts hopefully if you run into this and thanks to OP for posting as well as the tips on preventing corrosion down the line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts