Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Thought I share this "revoicing" of my 07 GXP experience. When I first acquired this car an aftermarket exhaust package was not in the roadmap. The most I will go is a high flow cat. Then I connected with @wspohn and he informed me he has this Street Race pipe that was not in use due to drone in his coupe. Unlike the regular Solo S/R, this one has two QR resonators welded to it. It is a nice looking unit and it's also quite light (vs stock). Long story short, I thought why not. Worse comes to worse I'd revert back.
At this time, I decided to have it mated to the stock front pipe section as it is in great condition. In the end I had a local exhaust shop perform the installation which was a good idea as there was a bit of an alignment issue with the stock front pipe. I also wanted it to be welded on vs. band clamped.

Drew a bit of interests at the shop. Got all kinds of questions on the Solstice.

Y-design Street Race is one sexy motha.... sorry Mach owners. :p

So how does it sound?
In a word - Fantastic. Recognizing this is not the normal Solo S/R it was difficult to determine the sound from the various YT examples. I think without the QR resonators, it might be a tad loud. I can understand other S/R owners' complaints. Unlike the coupe owners that experienced annoying cabin boom, I did not encounter this with the open top. I feel it was even quieter with the top up. <shrug> Cruising is quiet enough (you still know it's there). As I roll on the throttle, the pipes begin its deep baritone climb towards a growling crescendo. This thing has a deep voice giving the impression it's coming from an engine with more cylinder counts. Reminds me alot of the Akrapovic Boxsters or Remus inline 6 BMWs. I like the off throttle burbles too. Not loud obnoxious ones you hear from the turbo Minis, Golfs or BMWs. Phew! I feel the sonic signature was designed for the sole experience of the driver/passenger only. I doubt others can even hear its burbles.

The very important WAF approval?
Yes... so far. She didn't comment about the change in sonic signature when we went to check out some local wineries. She recognizes that sporty cars should sound the part. I think she is used to the other 'non-stock' sounding cars especially the catless Racing Beat RX8.

All in all I am happy with this mod. I was hesitant at first, but am glad I went for it. Special thanks to @wspohn who patiently answered all my questions!

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I'm glad that you're happy with the new mufflers, they look fantastic. Especially since it's on a silver Solstice!

·
Registered
66 Posts
So how does it sound?
In a word - Fantastic. Recognizing this is not the normal Solo S/R it was difficult to determine the sound from the various YT examples. I think without the QR resonators, it might be a tad loud. I can understand other S/R owners' complaints. Unlike the coupe owners that experienced annoying cabin boom, I did not encounter this with the open top. I feel it was even quieter with the top up. <shrug> Cruising is quiet enough (you still know it's there). As I roll on the throttle, the pipes begin its deep baritone climb towards a growling crescendo. This thing has a deep voice giving the impression it's coming from an engine with more cylinder counts. Reminds me alot of the Akrapovic Boxsters or Remus inline 6 BMWs. I like the off throttle burbles too. Not loud obnoxious ones you hear from the turbo Minis, Golfs or BMWs. Phew! I feel the sonic signature was designed for the sole experience of the driver/passenger only. I doubt others can even hear its burbles.
Excellent! Now... where's the video clip? 😁

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Glad it worked out for you - I knew it would find a new home some day!

As for the wife, maybe hold off on any full throttle acceleration runs until she gets used to it!

Next, the HF Cat and tune, right?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad it worked out for you - I knew it would find a new home some day!

As for the wife, maybe hold off on any full throttle acceleration runs until she gets used to it!

Next, the HF Cat and tune, right?
Already got the Trifecta tune! HFC probably in the late summer or fall. Need to contemplate how much db it'll add. And I am considering a ddm probeam to tighten up the rear end.

No she doesn't like my WOT antics at all. I might as well turn off the tune with her onboard. :cautious:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts