Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to thank all those involved with the dealership customer service department. Special thanks go out to the Inventory Manager at Vista Ridge in Dallas for being so helpful regarding the incoming Solsti and the possible arrival of the Pure that we have been looking for. I especially like the part where you said that you would call us when it comes in and promptly hung up on me. Nice touch. Must be real close with our saleman to learn those habits. Any chance that our car really has come and gone and you are wasting my time playing me along???

Second kudos goes out this guy:

GM Certified Internet Manager:
Bill Haggerty

Bill is part of the Mike Haggerty dealership in Oak Lawn IL. Bill was nice enough to explain to my wife that while the Pure that we saw on the net is just now coming off the truck that is going to be sold for MSRP. He was nice up to the point that he learned that we were not in his 'local market' and therefore would not sell us the car at all. If we wanted it then we could pay 3K more.
He went on the chastise my wife about how he wouldn't have any repeat business from us nor would we use their service in the future. The car being under warranty really doesn't seem like it would provide him much in the way of money but hey, I am just a stupid customer. It's not like the oil changes are going to make or break his bottom line!
A sale is a sale but if you don't live locally enough to stay on the dealer in person, or to be within their zip code, you don't count.

·
5,641 Posts
tweety said:
A sale is a sale but if you don't live locally enough to stay on the dealer in person, or to be within their zip code, you don't count.
(Not speaking to your experiences in particular, just some general background info)

A sale is not a sale. Or perhaps, not all sales are created equal. But you are right on one count, a sale outside a dealerships area dosen't count.

Dealership sales and registration effectiveness is scored on sales within their area of primary responsibility. Both on total sales and registrations and individual model sales and registrations. Some dealerships may also want local sales and registrations to help their case when Solstice distribution changes to a turn & earn system. A sale outside their APR is a potential wasted opportunity. One that some dealeships may place a dollar figure on. Some times just to scare off the out of towners (which works based on the follow-up posts).

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SD-

While it is good to hear the flip side to this particular event, it does little to convince me of my opinion that all dealers just want to screw you.
It's not like in the old days prior to the internet where we as consumers didn't know a thing about the car and needed to be 'sold' on the product. Now it appears, again in my opinion, that sales staff are no more than paper pushers. This is not really meant to be a dig at anyone in sales but more of a point that most of us know what we want and don't require the basic banter and useless dialogue.
Still sounds negative as I read it over again-sorry.
Today the call list from Texas outward has grown to over 50 calls. Many of the internet sales staff has commented the very same comment, "...we don't know when they will come in, they are very late...". And some are not taking orders but selling them at a huge profit because, "...everyone else is doing it...". That was my favorite one.
But the best comment all day was from a dealer in North Dallas that commented something like this, "...it serves no purpose to mark up any vehicle and damage the image of this dealership...(going on to add)...I don't see what can be gained by pulling a stunt like this...".
This dealer also commented about how the system tracking these cars was a bit messed up.
Overall I got the feeling that some stores get a lot of cars to sell and some haven't gotten any. Size does matter eh?!
And the bonus round goes to a guy that didn't know what this car was. Being asked if he was kidding around, he got upset. So, no, he was being serious. Wow.

So while I wait on the car to come in sometime in the future, the calls keep going out to see if there isn't one that can be had NOW, and not later. Oh, and you can get them NOW but at a premium from 3-5K above MSRP. 5K from a dealer in Florida.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
tweety said:
SD-

While it is good to hear the flip side to this particular event, it does little to convince me of my opinion that all dealers just want to screw you.
It's not like in the old days prior to the internet where we as consumers didn't know a thing about the car and needed to be 'sold' on the product. Now it appears, again in my opinion, that sales staff are no more than paper pushers. This is not really meant to be a dig at anyone in sales but more of a point that most of us know what we want and don't require the basic banter and useless dialogue.
Still sounds negative as I read it over again-sorry.
Today the call list from Texas outward has grown to over 50 calls. Many of the internet sales staff has commented the very same comment, "...we don't know when they will come in, they are very late...". And some are not taking orders but selling them at a huge profit because, "...everyone else is doing it...". That was my favorite one.
But the best comment all day was from a dealer in North Dallas that commented something like this, "...it serves no purpose to mark up any vehicle and damage the image of this dealership...(going on to add)...I don't see what can be gained by pulling a stunt like this...".
This dealer also commented about how the system tracking these cars was a bit messed up.
Overall I got the feeling that some stores get a lot of cars to sell and some haven't gotten any. Size does matter eh?!
And the bonus round goes to a guy that didn't know what this car was. Being asked if he was kidding around, he got upset. So, no, he was being serious. Wow.

So while I wait on the car to come in sometime in the future, the calls keep going out to see if there isn't one that can be had NOW, and not later. Oh, and you can get them NOW but at a premium from 3-5K above MSRP. 5K from a dealer in Florida.
We all understand how you feel, Tweety. And we're all pulling for you. :grouphug:

How stuck are you on color and options? There have been a few posts talking about cars arriving without buyers and being sold for MSRP. I guess you've seen those and they weren't right for you? There just aren't that many Pures being ordered, so you have slim pickings there to change to another dealer. Good luck, my friend. Just make sure you have one in time for our spring run at Texas Motor Speedway!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I do have a question....

Many of the people on this forum, myself included, ordered our cars many moons ago and we have not recieved our car. I understand you are upset becasue of several paycheck to paycheck salesmen giving you "BS stories". However, I am missing on the fact that you are upset because you cannot find a PURE Solstice now.

Why would you consider your situation/scenario any different from the rest of us?

We ordered our cars and are waiting the time prescribed. Yes we have no idea of when our car will be ready. But the wait, unfortunately, is there for all of us. Last time I checked Toyota cannot track when your Prius will come in from Japan. The tracking systems for all manufacturers(to my experience with them) are antiquated and not customer/dealership friendly.

We ordered our cars and have nothing yet. To be honest if someone came into our dealership and got angry about not being to buy a Solstice today then I would not be overly polite to them as well.

That being said - The dealerships that mark their cars up are scum. WE ALL AGREE WITH THAT. But they probably will be able to sell the car for that premium unfortunately. So they will more than likely continue the behaviour. So on that note I wholeheartedly agree that they suck. But I say order the car and wait the good wait.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey, isn't this still America where the allmight buck is king! What makes us humble solstice buyers anymore important then anyother American taxpayer?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Trying to find a Solstice right now without an order is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why would you consider your situation/scenario any different from the rest of us?
Since I am in a particularly foul mood right now and being rather new here, I will let it slide without further comment.
On second thought, I will comment.
We didn't go into any showroom to get angry but instead get the cast off most likely because we are at a great distance by phone. Should I be within arms length I believe that the reception and delivery of the information would be vastly different.
Waiting is not an issue as long as I am treated as if I can grasp what is going on. Perhaps not being jerked around and toyed with would go a long way as well.

Maybe I misunderstood this site and its purpose. The all for one, one for all mentality must not be as I first thought. You know...the family and brotherhood of the few that long for and possess these machines?! With that spirit in mind I came forth to bitch and whine and vent over something that is our of my control.
Sorry for hitting a nerve.

Also, it isn't hard to find what one is looking for if one takes the time and energy to go out and look for it.
However, I am missing on the fact that you are upset because you cannot find a PURE Solstice now.
Waiting in lines is like being treated like cattle.

How stuck are you on color and options?
Pretty set in what I want. I would rather the interior to be all black but have bent for it. Would like to have chrome rims but have bent for that too. That's about it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It can be done

I ordered a Sol about 3 weeks ago. I have been reading this forum every day to learn what I can. I called all over the country looking for one now. About 2 weeks ago I got a call from a dealership 15 miles from my house. They told me they had one in for service and I can look at, but I can not drive it. As I was looking over a black one they told me one will be coming in about two weeks. They also said 16, yes 16 people wanted it. I ask if any one had put a downpayment on the car. He said no. I ask if I could buy the car that day. (Before it came in.) I have done this before. All they need to sell a car is the Vin#. I talk to the sales Manager and told him I would pay cash that day. He said OK. We did all the paper work and the car is sitting in my garage right now. So like I say it came be done. It's not up the the salemen, it's up to you. Good luck. And good hunting.

·
2,574 Posts
Small Dealer said:
(Not speaking to your experiences in particular, just some general background info)

A sale is not a sale. Or perhaps, not all sales are created equal. But you are right on one count, a sale outside a dealerships area dosen't count.

Dealership sales and registration effectiveness is scored on sales within their area of primary responsibility. Both on total sales and registrations and individual model sales and registrations. Some dealerships may also want local sales and registrations to help their case when Solstice distribution changes to a turn & earn system. A sale outside their APR is a potential wasted opportunity. One that some dealeships may place a dollar figure on.
My dealer who couldn't be nicer almost threw a seven when I mentioned that I might register my ordered Sol in Florida as my vacation car and garage it down there. Being small his allottment is miniscule and unless he could explain to GM through a letter from me that I was truly an R.I. local resident and was using the car at my winter home he was concerned about their reaction to the sale. I told him not to worry that I would register it locally so it wouldn't cause a problem but he was genuinely concerned about the sale not helping him. So it's a real issue.

·
2,574 Posts
Hey Tweeter, you have much support here, many of us do share your pain(can't believe I used that one). But it's true, very frustrating and I'm realizing the closer you get the worse it becomes. I'm generally a very patient guy but this experience has had me saying one minute "hell no worry it's winter anyway put the loot aside and grab it in the spring" and then "What if the dealer isn't being honest, (this is baseless) and what if they strike, raise the price, cost of financing goes up, start making Skys. I want it right now, period". The whole thing is making me crazy. So if it helps any I now want this thing yesterday and get out of my way everybody when I get the call! :lol: Bottom line we're with you.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Tweeter, I don't know if this helps any or not, but I wanted to share my research with you.

These are all Pure but I do not know if they are sold or available, I can give you phone numbers. They may not be at the dealership yet, but they are in transit. I also don't know if they are selling for MSRP.

CITY, STATE ........... VIN ........... MSRP

Austin, TX................103118........$22,895
Farmington, NM.........102823........$25,130
Elmhurst, IL..............104717........$25,440
Coral Springs, FL........102305.......$23,835
Winter Haven, FL.......104546........$23,785
Arcadia, FL...............104520........$22,240

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Cars are out there to be had, but you need to be somewhat flexible. You really narrow your chances when you expect to get it exactly the way you would if you ordered it. If you're not flexible, you need to just place an order and wait. I was flexible, and now I have a Sol in my driveway. And it was a very nice top-down ride this evening.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Small Dealer said:

Dealership sales and registration effectiveness is scored on sales within their area of primary responsibility. Both on total sales and registrations and individual model sales and registrations. Some dealerships may also want local sales and registrations to help their case when Solstice distribution changes to a turn & earn system. A sale outside their APR is a potential wasted opportunity. One that some dealeships may place a dollar figure on.
Small Dealer, I appreciate all that you bring to this forum. You have assisted me and many others on countless occasions. But I have to tell you that THIS IS A LOAD OF CRAP... If you have a product for sale at a designated price (MSRP) and I show up and am prepared to buy it at that price, I have a right to be able to purchase that product. Period

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
SteveB said:
Small Dealer, I appreciate all that you bring to this forum. You have assisted me and many others on countless occasions. But I have to tell you that THIS IS A LOAD OF CRAP... If you have a product for sale at a designated price (MSRP) and I show up and am prepared to buy it at that price, I have a right to be able to purchase that product. Period
And they have a right that supercedes your right, the right not to sell, or to sell at a higher price. It actually makes sense that they would want to protect their future allocations on a car that is greatly desired, and to have local customers that have the potential to come back for service.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I never had this problem with any other new car dealer and as long as Pontiac Dealers continue this practice, they will never get my money.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
SteveB said:
I never had this problem with any other new car dealer and as long as Pontiac Dealers continue this practice, they will never get my money.
Consider, though, how often do any car dealers have cars that are in this kinjd of demand. It doesn't happen often. And I do understand the frustration. I've been going through some stuff on the one I bought, and I'm not feeling good about it. It almost took the joy out of getting the Sol. I'm still not sure how it's going to turn out, but if it turns out unsatisfactorily, I will let everyone know about it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Editguy said:
Consider, though, how often do any car dealers have cars that are in this kinjd of demand. It doesn't happen often. And I do understand the frustration. I've been going through some stuff on the one I bought, and I'm not feeling good about it. It almost took the joy out of getting the Sol. I'm still not sure how it's going to turn out, but if it turns out unsatisfactorily, I will let everyone know about it.
I hope everything goes well for you

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
SteveB said:
I hope everything goes well for you
Thanks. I'll be okay regardless, but I am going to be hesitant to ever buy a new car again if it doesn't get straightened out. So, again, I know where you're coming from.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts