Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh.. I have the car for a little over a week and today I hit a piece of debris on the road I hadnt noticed. Now I have a bit of a crack on the bottom of my front bumper at the center. How can I fix this? If I dont take care of it, will it get worst?

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Any decent body shop should be able to fix it or there are shops that specialize in urethane bumper repair in your area just have to google it tough to tell the extent of the damage without a picture also where are you located?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
*sigh* So I just got home and inspected the damage caused. The right and left wheel wells are cracked, the bottom of the bumper is cracked in several spots and the paint at the bottom right of the front bumper has spidered near the foglight. I have no idea wtf it was I ran over but this has seriously made my day kinda crappy. Oh well, could have been worse. I'm in Miami, FL btw.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If anything perhaps down the line I may just get an aftermarket bumper and fix the wheel wells. I don't know any good or trustworthy body shops in my area, I would much rather have someone do the install than attempt it myself, unless it really is pretty simple. Knowing myself I might end up crushing the fenders raising it -_-

·
Super Moderator
15,963 Posts
The inner fenders are actually not terribly difficult to change, but unless it's really bad, consider replacing the plastic press in fasteners and call it good for now.

The front bumper cover comes off very easily as well.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any how to's I can maybe look at? Btw I noticed something today after this incident.. Not sure why but the front bumper is held back by zip ties on the bottom, not sure why the previous owner may have done this.

Would a better $$ option be getting an aftermarket bumper, or having this one fixed up? Has scratches, the damage and the spidered paint I had mentioned.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
That tire looks pretty worn also. Tire time soon... Duct tape that loose piece of splash shield so the tire or steering doesn't catch hold of it, until you get a replacement.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aside from getting new tires, I definitely need to get the fender liners replaced. I noticed mine use the 7mm screws attaching the fender liner onto the fender and bumper as opposed to the clips. What steps are necessary to remove/install the fender liners? Will I need to remove the tire/jack this baby up? Or can I slip it down from above within the hood? *confused*

·
Registered
693 Posts
Any how to's I can maybe look at? Btw I noticed something today after this incident.. Not sure why but the front bumper is held back by zip ties on the bottom, not sure why the previous owner may have done this.

Would a better $$ option be getting an aftermarket bumper, or having this one fixed up? Has scratches, the damage and the spidered paint I had mentioned.
is it the bumper or the spoiler?mine was hanging low so i zip tied it up...much better now.a lot of these cars have scratched bumper bottoms and worse from previous owners and you might have already had some minor damage before and never noticed it unless you make a habit of crawling under your car.i have a few scratches under mine but since the car still has factory paint im not messing with them.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
GeneralDodo, those wheel house liners that you referenced are aftermarket ones. The finish is significantly different than stock and they are a little thinner. OEM liners have been scarce in the past and has driven the aftermarket parts. It's been said that the aftermarket liners do fit well.

I would try to get OEM parts if it were me but they can be a little more expensive not to mention hard to find.

Our cars have had a LOT of troubles with the liners cracking and breaking around the hex head screws that hold them in place. For 2009 GM used Christmas tree clips to hold the liner in place towards the rear of the car. This procedure however did not help where the liner was still screwed in place and it continued to crack in those places.

The body shop at my dealer came up with a novel approach to the problem. He used christmas tree clips all the way around. That was in 2011 and still no issues at all. You can pictures and further discussions about this issue here.

Push pins on leading edge of front wheelhouse liner?

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
You can get OEM fender liners from a number of merchants on EBAY or they still maybe available from your local GM dealership the one thing that you need to know is they make two different versions one for the GXP and one for the base (NA) also each liner has a specific part number which translates into left side or right side the going price is in the 75 to 100 dollar range per liner.As others have stated you may want to replace the plastic push pins which are not that expensive I have seen some comments here by other forum members that they can be purchased at your local auto parts store.Part #s for fender liner Base(NA) 25914763 right/25914764 left - GXP 25914762 left/25914761 right

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Yeah usually when I go to the dealer for a half dozen push pins he just gives them to me and doesn't charge for them. They're cheap.

It's good to know that the liners are easy to get now. Here's the part numbers for the Solstice. Prices shown are from a few years ago.

Solstice Rear
25975691 LINER. Rear Wheelhouse
LINER,RR W/H PNL - LH. Required: 01LHD. For: M67 (2006-2010) (2007 - 2007). $38.45
25975692 LINER. Rear Wheelhouse
LINER,RR W/H PNL - RH. Required: 01RHD. For: M67 (2006-2010) (2007 - 2007). $42.95

Solstice GXP Front
25914761 LINER. Front Fender Inner Wheel House
LINER,FRT W/H - RH. Required: 01RHD. For: M TURBO GT(GTA) (2007-2010) (2007 - 2010). $74.80
25914762 LINER. Front Fender Inner Wheel House
LINER,FRT W/H - LH. Required: 01LHD. For: M TURBO GT(GTA) (2007-2010) (2007 - 2010). $74.80

Solstice NA Front
25914763 LINER. Front Fender Inner Wheel House
LINER,FRT W/H(USE T/W 15840526 EXTENSION) - RH. Required: 01RHD. For: M (2006-2006) (2006 - 2006). RHD. For: M (EXC TURBO GT(GTA) (2007-2010) (2007 - ... Show More $75.80
25914764 LINER. Front Fender Inner Wheel House
LINER,FRT W/H(USE T/W 15840527 EXTENSION) - LH. Required: 01LHD. For: M (2006-2006) (2006 - 2006). LHD. For: M (EXC TURBO GT(GTA) (2007-2010) (2007 - ... Show More $68.60

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
No-one else has said this, so I will... the picture you took of the crack is hard to make out, but that looks like a fiberglass break. Do you have an aftermarket front bumper, or maybe just the front spoiler? The OEM bumpers are flexible urethane, not fiberglass.

Maybe take a photo of the whole of the front, so we can see the entire bumper?

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
And below the break it looks dull. Is that the bumper or the piece under and behind the bumper. Are what looks like bare fiberglass strands maybe curb rash?

Like TS said, it's hard to tell and the fact that the pic isn't in focus makes it tough to make out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wheel well liners were, and probably still are available from Rock Auto. Not OEM, but look ok. Invest in new stickers (which are available) if you want to retain factory look.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I've seen the RockAuto ones and no one is going to mistake them for a factory part I can assure you. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
I've seen the RockAuto ones and no one is going to mistake them for a factory part I can assure you. ;)
I bought one from them and sent it back I was afraid it was going to crack when I was installing it the material was so thin , made in China I bet ! Bottom line you get what you pay for . As I said earlier in my post an OEM one runs from around 75 to 100 dollars and these cheap knock offs are in the 30 dollar range do the math.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do I have to remove the tire and/or other components to install it? Or can I remove/drop it in from inside the hood?

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Wheelhouse liners? Take the wheel off or you're going to scratch the bejesus out of them. Don't ask how I know.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts