Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys when i got my sol some...previous owner had put the license plate and used the double sided foam that had epoxy on it and well it left the yellow on my beautiful sol! sooo after almost a year i have decided to repaint it... at home...using spray paint :willy::willy: i know what you guys are thinking already.. but if done right the bumper can come out nicely, ive done it before on my camry that was also white.. it just takes prep prep prep! well i preped and preped... and then preped and its done!! so here pictures also ignore my dirty sol i havent washed her in a while so i will soon that is also why it looks off on the finished pictures ill take one tomorrow once i wash it :thumbs: so yes here we go!

bumper off, it came off soooo easily!

then wash off dirt, dry it, de-grease, de-wax, dry and then sand wet sand and all that good stuff.

then here we go the epoxy that was on it.... also the emblem once removed has to be epoxied back on as the little screws holding it on broke off :leaving:

theeennn primer 2 coats!!

first coat drying

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
alll done!! okayokayokay i know it looks like its a different color but its not i swear to you i just havent taken my car to wash....for a month :willy::leaving: dont ban me PLEASE :lol: ive been very busy with work and family and yeah lots of stuff but im taking it tomorrow!! but yes here they are!

YAY no more ugly stain!

okay must address some last things here one! front license plate! i got pulled over last week so on it goes luckily i got a warning only! i know it looks so JDM with invisible zip ties on it haha itll be off once the cops cool down around my area! can you believe i got pulled over in front of my house!! any way number two DAT GAP i fixed it after i took the picture i noticed it after i took the picture so yes its fixed number three the "flat" white paint it will look semi gloss once it dries completely but i have never had any luck clear coating anything on plastic it just never comes out right so i left it itll look better tomorrow once its washed and in sun! i will follow up with more pictures tomorow!:thumbs: alos the tape is holding down the epoxy that is curing

But there you go a decent paint job is doable in a front yard with spray paint for about 40 bucks total took like 3 hours, what do you guys think good for a 19 year old? haha enjoy! :thumbs::cool:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Not bad! I have gotten a few no plate tickets when I head into L.A. I just zip tie the plate to the front end, have the cops sign off on it, pay the $25 fine, and take it off again. I refuse to put it on there full time. I might get one of those motorized hide a plate deals for it.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Nice job. Is there a spray can clear coat available?

My father worked in a body shop back in the early 50's. Said they got in a car that a 50 year old woman and her mother had repainted. They could tell it had been painted but something just wasn't right about it. Turns out they had painted it with brushes but it looked really good! Turns out they kept the paint can over a candle to keep it hot - hardly any noticeable brush lines!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know, I need one of the motorized license plate holders as well!

I will be wet sanding it very lightly on Wednesday and then clearing it, with spray clear coat which is available I think it'll look better and be better protected against rocks and stuff I'll update then and later after I wash it

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright guys good new bad news, good news, i washed the sol and am clear coating it as I type(yes at the same time) and bad news.. I brushed up against something that left black lines on the paint!!! But it's okay cuz I sanded a but and it came off, I tried to clean it but it didn't work, so yes pictures later tonight

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
You sanded a but? Okay, now sand the front bumper and finish the damn thing, okay?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update

okay! im done sanding down the butt :willy::lol:and got down to business! things i did, lightly sanded the white coat 320 grit, then coated in clear, then sanded down clear with 320 just a bit then re clear, then went over it with 500 grit just a bit, waxed it out and then popped in the lights and grilles then back on the car here are the pictures as promised in order, came out decent, clear coat didnt go on as thick as factory but its good enough for me, and im looking in to getting a new bumper (F430) some time next year so this should be okay for now, i might re clear at a later date :cool:

before everything

after sanding white coat

clear coats dry, sanded and waxed

here is it done on the car look better in person, the color difference is being caused by the clear on the hood reflecting more light than the bumper but in person it looks the same, ill take a picture in the day tomorrow morning without flash also some may notice bumper damage, that was cause by me pulling up too close to a parking brick thing then backing up...it near tore off the bumper :brentil::leaving:that was the only damage caused luckily (thats also the main reason im getting the 430 front end) but let me know what you guys think, i know to some it may be 'ghetto' but it worked so yes :thumbs:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here we goooo

:lurk:
thanks for watching guys....:thumbs::grouphug:

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I sprayed the outer ring on my aftershock grills with clear from a spray can a few years ago after doing the base coat and I know how hard it can be. I ended up taking it to a body shop to get it redone 'cause I wasn't happy with the job that I had done. Glad yours turned out better.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I might do that as well, it's a pain in the asss it just doesn't clear it for some reason, at least not well, I'm afraid to cake on too much clear then have to restart but I'll see if anything changes I'll up date here

1 - 13 of 13 Posts