Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nice looking front end. Now picture it with a license plate plastered across it. What's the fine for not putting one on? Which state(s) do not require a plate on the front of a car?

Attachments

·
4,592 Posts
calif does, so I'll have to move!

·
Registered
37 Posts
New Mexico

My Beloved New Mexico has no such requirement. Then we have no safety inspection or emission test either. Only a few % sales tax and darn good roads. Come visit and enjoy some Green Chile Stew and beautiful sunsets.

·
4,592 Posts
pajarito69 said:
My Beloved New Mexico has no such requirement. Then we have no safety inspection or emission test either. Only a few % sales tax and darn good raods. Come visit and enjoy some Greeen Chile Stew and beautiful sunsets
Will do! I'm hoping to be living in Flagstaff soon. DO you know if they have a front license plate law in AZ? Or maybe I'll consider NM...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
We have front plates here in NY, but I don’t expect it to look too bad on the Solstice. I surmise that the bracket will be mounted to the front of the car through the grille. The plate will be in front of the grille, which will keep it fairly low on the car.

I know the front plates really bother some people, but they don’t bug me too much. I know a lot of Fiero owners who try going around without them, but to me cars look normal with a metal rectangle bolted to the front of them. I can certainly live with it, wherever they stick the bracket!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
:agree Although it looks a lot better without the front plate, it's one of those necessary evils we're forced to live with. To me, it's easier to accept an ugly, tacked on front plate that you were forced to install than a silly, fake rear wings or fake "ground effect" add-on body pieces that you choose to install. The lack of these is one of the things that appeals to me. I know the rear deck aero nacalles are an affectation, but they're uniqueness make them acceptable to me.

·
Registered
254 Posts
DE doesn't require it either :D. But a lot of guys on clubgp don't put theirs on in states that require it. Some cops will be a dick and give you a ticket. But most of them don't care. Guess it depends on who you run into. Most courts will drop the ticket if you put the plate back on. Or at least that's what I've been told.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Audio Imagez said:
...a lot of guys on clubgp don't put theirs on in states that require it. Some cops will be a dick and give you a ticket. But most of them don't care.
That's what I might do. With a weekend car the odds of me getting tagged is slim.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I think its just easier to live with the plate on the front, than to have to deal with cops all the time and try to talk/lie/cheat/steal your way out of a ticket all the time. Maybe some people don't run into many cops, but I am sure I would be a cop magnet without a plate on the front. I might as well add a neon sign that says "ticket me, I am doing something illegal!" :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
Most of the time, when a cop sees no front plate, he is driving towards you. A cop would have to be a real a**hole or in a very bad mood to turn all the way around just to get you for no front plate. For the ones who are stopped, they're usually preoccupied with other matters. You should check to see if it's a primary or secondary offense in your state.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Audio Imagez said:
Most of the time, when a cop sees no front plate, he is driving towards you. A cop would have to be a real a**hole or in a very bad mood to turn all the way around just to get you for no front plate. For the ones who are stopped, they're usually preoccupied with other matters. You should check to see if it's a primary or secondary offense in your state.
Here in VA the police show no mercy and will turn around to chase you down. One of the options you have is to trim the plates size down. I know a few S2000 owners how have found a vendor to trim them down, but any shop with a metal shear could do that job.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Audio Imagez said:
Now who would imagine a cop being a real a**?

I know the City of Buffalo cops could care less. They hardly bother with traffic enforcement to begin with. One of the thruways that goes through the city to Downtown is lovingly referred to by our locals as the Buffalo Autobahn because there is NEVER a city cop on it, and people drive as fast as they like. Consequently there is a lot of deaths too.

However, our suburban cops are horrendous, and I live in the suburbs. Our state allows a township to plea any moving violation down to a parking violation and keep all of the fees. So they go out of their way to pull people over and write tickets, just to get those people into court to plea them down and collect the money. I am sure it is like this all over the country. Not having your front plate on is only inviting them to pull you over instead of someone else IMO, and there are too many of them to bother going without around here. :banghead

But, if you are in an area where you can forgo the plate, or don’t have to have one to begin with, that is great! Want company? :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Fformula88 said:
<snip>... But, if you are in an area where you can forgo the plate, or don’t have to have one to begin with, that is great! Want company? :D
Come to Pennsylvania. No front plates.
Could be a long commute though. :D
Luckily you'll have an enjoyable car to make the trip in!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sign, Sign

pajarito69 said:
My Beloved New Mexico has no such requirement. Then we have no safety inspection or emission test either. Only a few % sales tax and darn good roads. Come visit and enjoy some Green Chile Stew and beautiful sunsets.
Now if NM would just post a few road signs, it might be perfect.

It's been a while since I was there, but the last time I drove in NM, I came to a 3-way split in the highway, with no signs. I took a guess, and drove about 50 miles trying to figure out what highway I was on. When I got to the next town, they didn't even have a sign for the name of the town. I had to ask a gas station what town I was in.

·
Registered
254 Posts
41Streamliner said:
Now if NM would just post a few road signs, it might be perfect.

It's been a while since I was there, but the last time I drove in NM, I came to a 3-way split in the highway, with no signs. I took a guess, and drove about 50 miles trying to figure out what highway I was on. When I got to the next town, they didn't even have a sign for the name of the town. I had to ask a gas station what town I was in.
That's because you are the first person in history to willingly visit NM. ;)

·
4,592 Posts
Careful! NM has it's charms. and you know the saying, "people in glass houses" - I've been to Delaware........ 'nough said ;) . If you want a place to trash, hit my city - LA, now that's easy! :glol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts