Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front end looks vulnerable to rock/stone chips. I really don't like bras (on cars), but one might be in order for this car. It looks unprotected around the grill.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yeah, good call (about the stone chips, not the bra). :) What about those clear plastic bras that get "stuck" on?

Another member on this forum (tcl, I believe?) said he had a 350Z... tcl, did you find stone chips to be a problem with the Z?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Lotus actually offered the 3M clear bra kit as a dealer isntalled option for the Elise. You could get 3 sectional kits. The front facia, the side skirts, and then a couple other areas that weren't as likely to get hit but can occasionally get hit. It was a couple hundred dollars for them installed. From a distance you can't see them at all, and with the advances 3M has made over time they don't yellow anymore in the sun like older clear bra material used to.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I agree that the front end looks vulnerable. A traditional bra probably wouldn't look good. The clear ones are supposed to be nice; I'll probably pick one up, too.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
:agree Me too. Although a silver one's so close to primer's color that you could just pretend the stone chips are bugs! ;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
alot of people with CTS-V have gone the 3m clear bra and like them alot

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
You can also use the film material to add style to your car. The clear rear fender panels have been available from Porsche for a very long time. However on the 924/944 you could actually get a black film instead of clear and it looked really awesome on the rear fender. It really helped add to the cars style and looked really sporty.

·
Registered
533 Posts
ho2go said:
Another member on this forum (tcl, I believe?) said he had a 350Z... tcl, did you find stone chips to be a problem with the Z?
I didn't but a lot of people with 350Z's did. One reason I think I avoided them was by not following closely when traveling at highway speeds. When I looked at the cost of having 3M film applied, I figured it would be cheaper to get the bumper repainted after a couple of years. I did buy the headlight protection film though, since the Xenons on that car were about $1500 a piece to replace or so I was told.

·
Registered
496 Posts
front end

I am hoping Pontiac offers a regular custom made bra with a small Solstice insignia on it. I think it gives it a bit of an aggressive look. I am hearing too much chatter of the Solstice being a "chic" car like the VW bug convertible.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
GreatWhiteNorth said:
I am hoping Pontiac offers a regular custom made bra with a small Solstice insignia on it. I think it gives it a bit of an aggressive look.
Hum, that might be nice.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
A dealer installed option would be awesome. I'd be willing to fork over the money for that.

·
5,600 Posts
Nah. I'll just have the bumper painted during the frame-off restoration. :blush

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The 3m clear film seems to work well. I have heard a lot of recommendations for it. I'd consider one, but I certainly wouldn't want a traditional bra. Unless you constantly remove it to clean under it, you will just end up with paint damage anyway from the dirt and moisture it will trap under it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
front bra

Yes I have first hand experience on the damage a bra causes to your paint, but I am also dodging "bolders" on the expressway everyday so I would still get lots of paint damage to the Solstice low profile front end .

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, I have some paint damage on my hood from the hood bra I had on it for a limited time. This was an official Ford bra with the car model embroidered into it. The back of the embroidery pock-marked the paint on the hood. Looked like someone had taken a shotgun with buckshot and shot a 4"x4" area.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yeah, my girlfriend (now wife) had a 240z that had a bra on it when she got it. I always wanted to get her bra off, but she said it was ugly underneath. (turned out she was talking about the car, thank goodness!) The car was absoutely covered with fine dust when I took it off. I washed it and it looked like it was still there. It scratched all the way through the paint. I would have prefered some rock chips. I put the bra back on and kept it there.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I bought a bra for one of my past cars, a Ford Probe, basically to use on highway trips to save me from any stone damage from trucks. The first time I used it I left it on the whole time I was gone. When I got home and removed it, not only was it incredibly dusty underneath it, moisture from rain had created a haze over the finish. A wash and waxing it removed the haze, but I never did leave it on more than a day or two again. It was on just long enough for me to get to where I was going.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'll just be driving mine and letting the stones chip it, it's only a $20k car after all. I'll keep it clean and waxed, but I have my limits.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts