Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm new to this forum stuff and I admit I'm lost on this forum. But I did follow the instructions from one of you that worked great! As recomended, I depressed the tabs in carfully with a small screw driver. Once they were...disengaged, the next instruction was to set on my rump in front of the grill (because you told me thats were I will end up) put your fingers into the grill as even as possible and give it a hard outward/downward yank! It worked! As said in the instructions, it will break the metal clips free. I had to do some work with my leatherman tool but got the metal clips off. Discard them. They no longer have a use. I put four coats of black acrilic paint on them at every angle to asure even coating. They Look great! I'm going to snap them back in place tomorrow. Thank you

·
Administrator
9,240 Posts
OK, I'm new to this forum stuff and I admit I'm lost on this forum. But I did follow the instructions from one of you that worked great! As recomended, I depressed the tabs in carfully with a small screw driver. Once they were...disengaged, the next instruction was to set on my rump in front of the grill (because you told me thats were I will end up) put your fingers into the grill as even as possible and give it a hard outward/downward yank! It worked! As said in the instructions, it will break the metal clips free. I had to do some work with my leatherman tool but got the metal clips off. Discard them. They no longer have a use. I put four coats of black acrilic paint on them at every angle to asure even coating. They Look great! I'm going to snap them back in place tomorrow. Thank you
Hey yy .. glad that worked for you! :yay:

Easiest way to find a thread you started or posted in is to go to the bar at the top of page with the following lisitings:

Home > Forums > Gallery > Active Topics

Click on the Active Topics and a dropdown box will appear offering you the choice of My Recent Topics.

Find the topic you are looking for, click on that link.

HTH! :)

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I would suggest from personal experience that if you already haven't removed the metal clips remove the whole bumper to first remove the clips. While pulling eventually works its quite easy to mess up the grills or the bumper that holds the tabs. It took me a lot longer to get my grills off the first time than if I would have pulled the front bumper.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
I pulled the whole front bumper when I painted the grills on my NA. It wasn't a hard job and didn't have to yank on anything. I believe being gentle will break a lot less!

·
Administrator
9,240 Posts
I would suggest from personal experience that if you already haven't removed the metal clips remove the whole bumper to first remove the clips. While pulling eventually works its quite easy to mess up the grills or the bumper that holds the tabs. It took me a lot longer to get my grills off the first time than if I would have pulled the front bumper.
Wow ... it took me all of 15 minutes to pop those clip off both grills then one good yank to pull them out. Taking off the entire front bumper seems like overkill to me... guess I just prefer the easiest route. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Wow ... it took me all of 15 minutes to pop those clip off both grills then one good yank to pull them out. Taking off the entire front bumper seems like overkill to me... guess I just prefer the easiest route. :dunno:
You must be talking about Tigger II and not Tigger I. I tend to remember someone else having to remove the grilles from Tigger I while sitting on the pavement in the parking lot of a shopping mall, but then I won't tell any tales :lol:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,427 Posts
You must be talking about Tigger II and not Tigger I. I tend to remember someone else having to remove the grilles from Tigger I while sitting on the pavement in the parking lot of a shopping mall, but then I won't tell any tales :lol:
How soon they forget . . . I mean that was 3 years ago, or thereabouts! :rofl:

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
How soon they forget . . . I mean that was 3 years ago, or thereabouts! :rofl:
And even more than that.....not even a single response from "What's her name".....I'm crushed :glol:

·
Administrator
9,240 Posts
Yes ... I'm talking about TII .. of course my WONDERFUL Sol buddy took care of that chore for me on TI ... :D :grouphug: ... for some reason though he was no where to be found when it came time to paint the grills on TII :dunno:

Oh .. as and far as a response - quickly that is - I have been out of town all day :D

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Yes ... I'm talking about TII .. of course my WONDERFUL Sol buddy took care of that chore for me on TI ... :D :grouphug: ... for some reason though he was no where to be found when it came time to paint the grills on TII :dunno:

Oh .. as and far as a response - quickly that is - I have been out of town all day :D
Sure, sure, sure....probably walking to the refrigerator to get some cheese :glol: (sorry I just couldn't resist)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you not need those clips when you reinstall the grills?

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Great thanks. Mine are factory silver....want to paint them.
FYI I used black paint in a rattle can from Lowes that is made especially for plastics. It gave me a great finish that has held up extremely well. Can't remember the name of the paint but it is printed clearly on the can FOR PLASTICS. Those grilles are HDPE (I think) or some sort of high density plastic and painting them can be tricky. The Lowes paint worked well.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,427 Posts
Do you not need those clips when you reinstall the grills?
I took those clips off when I painted my grills in early 2006, and haven't had the clips since then and haven't had any problems with the grills in all that time, almost 14 years.

:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
FYI I used black paint in a rattle can from Lowes that is made especially for plastics. It gave me a great finish that has held up extremely well. Can't remember the name of the paint but it is printed clearly on the can FOR PLASTICS. Those grilles are HDPE (I think) or some sort of high density plastic and painting them can be tricky. The Lowes paint worked well.
These are mine after modifying and painting

Attachments

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Those grilles are HDPE (I think) or some sort of high density plastic and painting them can be tricky. The Lowes paint worked well.
More likely polycarbonate (higher impact resistance especially in cold weather) and that will take paint well. HDPE doesn't like paint, though flame-licking it to reduce surface tension can help.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Well, I found the complete opposite. I got a pair of N/A grills to cut down and install in my Norm's inset grills. Obvioulsy they are finished in silver so I tried to Easy-off the sliver 'paint' (not sure what it is) but Easy-off didn't touch it. So then I tried Krylon paint for plastic and it just was not robust and flaked off with the slightest rubbing. At this point I still have not finished them... I intend to take them to a friends sandblast booth, but just haven't had time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts