Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Premium Member
As I have mentioned in previous threads, I had a detailer do my headlights.

before:

after:

The guy spent an hour on each light. Amazing... 馃憖

:) :cool:

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
sirwm: If th.. was a detailer near me I would have it done too...amazing is right. Looks brand new....and if this damned rain ever stops I can do something to my car's exterior..Mike

Premium Member
Depending on how bad your headlights are you might want to try a plastic polish and a wool buffer .Mothers and Meguiars make this product ,I have used both with great results ,and I'm pretty sure WalMart sells them along with your major auto parts stores . Another thing I do is regularly wax my covers with Mothers Cleaner Wax or any good carnauba wax I polished mine out years ago and have never had to redo them . As for removing your headlights go to the search feature and type in "Street Edition Headlights " there is a step by step guide to removing them and what tools you will need . Hope this helps !

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Depending on how bad your headlights are you might want to try a plastic polish and a wool buffer .Mothers and Meguiars make this product ,I have used both with great results ,and I'm pretty sure WalMart sells them along with your major auto parts stores . Another thing I do is regularly wax my covers with Mothers Cleaner Wax or any good carnauba wax I polished mine out years ago and have never had to redo them . As for removing your headlights go to the search feature and type in "Street Edition Headlights " there is a step by step guide to removing them and what tools you will need . Hope this helps !
Not gonna remove...gonna tape around to protect the paint...can't do anything until the constant rain stops here. I use Mother's products to wax the car and to do the interior and the local Wal Mart carries the entire line. Thanks for the come back Sting Ya

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
StingYa...and everyone else who participated in this discussion on cleaning the headlamp covers. Cannot name all of you asI do not wish to offend anyone by omitting your name....but, since it has been non stop rain here since Isiaias with no letup in sight, I asked a close neighbor if I could use her carport for a couple of hours to clean my covers. Here in the country help each other 24/7, so I drove over and...lo and behold...3 hours later my headlamp covers were clean!! I used Colgate's toothpaste and a buffer attachment on my variable speed drill making sure the cloths ere wet. After I did an initial rinse I repeated to make sure I got it all. All this cost me was about $20 for everything and a promise to do the headlamp covers on her Ford Explorer...lol. I had some Simoniz paste and waxed the covers with that. Case closed. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR THIS INVALUABLE HELP.馃憤:cool:

Registered
Anyone have any ideas how to get the foggy look out of these covers? Tail light covers are fine but for some reason the front ones look they are a product of avid rain.
The two products below really work great. Best of all you can do it by hand in a few minutes. The UV coating is the real secret. You might need to do it once a year or so, but it really works.

3M Advanced Rubbing Compound

Meguiar's Headlight Coating

Registered
if yer gonna try it yourself, start by removing the headlight assy. and wet sanding with 1500, then 2000,then 3000. then move up to liquid polishes, medium then fine. they should look like glass when yer done. take them to a quality body shop and have them clear coated. lamin-x makes a clear or tinted film to apply over them that should last 5+years. I did mine a couple of times since '08, but didn't know about the film (I learned about it here on the forum). This time I bought new headlight assy.'s and am using the film. What a difference. Looks brand new again. the foggy ones not only looked bad, but also cuts down the light. not good at night out here in the country with the deer and other critters.

Premium Member

Registered
I've had success with the rustoleum brand kit, about $8 at Walmart. Comes with ultra fine abrasive and a finish wipe that smells like lacquer thinner...with good instructions. Have used it on several cars that might not have passed inspection otherwise

Registered
I watched several DIY videos about using WD40 (tried that, it made the headlights crystal clear... for 24 hrs until the oil dried) toothpaste, etc... abrasive toothpaste will work with a TON of elbow grease. But ultimately, the damage needs to be sanded off.

This didn't happen back in the day when we had glass headlights. UV light breaks down the surface of the plastic. Most cars are treated in the beginning, but over time that coating fails.

I bought my Sky 2 months ago, and had a little yellow hazing on the top of the headlights.

I did a lot or research, and settled on the 3m Ultra Headlight Restoration Kit, purchased at my local O'Reilly's. It comes with:
  • a disc pad holder that attaches to a standard drill
  • 500 and 800 grit discs,
  • 3000 grit wet polishing disc,
  • masking tape to protect the adjacent paint
  • chemical wipes
  • disposable gloves
I rough sanded the surface of the yellowing with the 500 then 800 grit.
Wet polished the surface with the 3000 to remove the scratches from the rough grit.
The post chemical wipe, melts the surface of the plastic to fill in microscopic scratches left by the 3000.

I did my 2005 civic for sale when I bought the new Sky (which were totally milked over) with excellent results and came out crystal clear. Did my mom's car, dad's truck, and my neighbor wanted theirs done.

Takes about half an hour per car.

You want to apply a new UV protective coating afterward, and should expect the condition to return after a year or two, depending on exposure to the elements.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts