Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in california, where front placement for the plate is required...ouch

REFUSE to cover that beautiful grill. I will pay the tickets...

maybe a magnetic below one of the fog lights? Not really sure what is possible, though...

ANy ideas out there?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Magnetic mount might work, the body's supposedly made of steel, not polymer, fiberglass, or aluminum... But, the nose might be made of a different material...:skep:

Another poster in a similar thread said he kept the plate in the right side of the front window...

Unfortunately, with a fix-it ticket, the magnetic mount might not pass muster... If the guy who's inspecting it goes over and fingers it to see if it's firmly attached, he might just pry it off.:blush:

I do agree: it sure is a shame to spoil the nose. :brentil:

I got stopped the other day by a CHP during rush hour because he thought I wasn't wearing my seat belt. As he walked up to the car, and leaned in to look, he saw my 4 point harnesses with the retractor reels. I told him that they were in point of fact DOT legal :blueangel and he nodded. He then asked, "Where do you use those fancy seat belts?" I told him that I took part in road racing events up at Willow Springs and Button Willow. He smiled and said, "Have a safe drive.":seeya:

Just don't drive like a nut, and you'll probably not be stopped. Now mind you, I'm not advocating breaking any laws, just pointing out that most traffic stops are for good reasons based on bad driver behavior, not for inspection/mechanical issues. :leaving:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
Magnetic mount might work, the body's supposedly made of steel, not polymer, fiberglass, or aluminum... But, the nose might be made of a different material...:skep:
nose is plastic

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
They have magnetic desings for plastic cars too. There's an extra magnet that goes on the other side of the plastic and the two pull eachother together through the plastic.

·
Registered
275 Posts
brentil said:
They have magnetic desings for plastic cars too. There's an extra magnet that goes on the other side of the plastic and the two pull eachother together through the plastic.
you are way ahead of me, man! i didnt even think of that. if the magnets are strong enough, i may go for it. you could take it off for shows, but still have it on for normal driving.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
I got stopped the other day by a CHP during rush hour because he thought I wasn't wearing my seat belt....Just don't drive like a nut, and you'll probably not be stopped. Now mind you, I'm not advocating breaking any laws, just pointing out that most traffic stops are for good reasons based on bad driver behavior, not for inspection/mechanical issues. :leaving:
So I take it you were driving like a nut? :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
brentil said:
Thanks for the tip...
Do you know where one might get one? :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
brentil said:
Would this not scrape the crap out of the paint?

·
Registered
138 Posts
License Plate Mounting?

Viva ARIZONA - No need for a front plate at all. We really appreciate the beauty of the front one's car and do not mess it up with our plates. Great weather to drive with the top down all year round, no snow in the desert, and no front license plate requirements. Remind me again why all of the rest of you live somewhere else?

·
Registered
275 Posts
SlipSlider said:
Would this not scrape the crap out of the paint?
no this wouldnt... dealers use magnets on their plates all the time. usually the magnets have a plastic layer over them to protect the paint.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
swatthefly said:
no this wouldnt... dealers use magnets on their plates all the time. usually the magnets have a plastic layer over them to protect the paint.

I looked into this a bit more, and I thought I had seen a "front license plate option"....which I chose on my Mysterious...

The doc said that this was "forced in states" where this is the law... :leaving:

I haven't seen what they are forcing, but I hope its not in that Grill... :willy:

Anyone know if this is true/what is will look like? Mods? SolsticeMan? Bueller? Bueller???:nopity:

·
Registered
337 Posts
sight unseen said:
I looked into this a bit more, and I thought I had seen a "front license plate option"....which I chose on my Mysterious...

The doc said that this was "forced in states" where this is the law... :leaving:

I haven't seen what they are forcing, but I hope its not in that Grill... :willy:

Anyone know if this is true/what is will look like? Mods? SolsticeMan? Bueller? Bueller???:nopity:
From what I understand is if you are in a "forced in state" they put it in the car and the Dealer installs it. So just tell your dealer not to install it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:mad:

AAAAAAAAa

Okay, thanks for the input...so that means it will be covering the grille?

I hope that shiznits removable w/o damage...b/c that sucks...I will put it in the passenger side window b/f covering the grill...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SolTex said:
From what I understand is if you are in a "forced in state" they put it in the car and the Dealer installs it. So just tell your dealer not to install it.

Good Call !!! :agree:

·
Registered
54 Posts
AZJuez said:
Viva ARIZONA - No need for a front plate at all. We really appreciate the beauty of the front one's car and do not mess it up with our plates. Great weather to drive with the top down all year round, no snow in the desert, and no front license plate requirements. Remind me again why all of the rest of you live somewhere else?
It pays better,
I researched Arizona to get away from Ohio but I would take a big pay cut.
Guess I'll wait till retirement to move there.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts