Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas what some people do for a quick or simple front license plate attachment?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,516 Posts
Any ideas what some people do for a quick or simple front license plate attachment?
Most use the front license plate holder included with the car in all states that require a front plate. It clips into the grilles with 4 posts and has a provision for being screwed down in the center. It was usually found in the trunk and was mounted to the car by the dealer's setup person.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I live in British Columbia, which requires a front plate. Shortly after buying the car in 2012 I removed the front plate and its holder. I keep the front plate in the trunk incase I get stopped. So far, touch wood, I haven't been questioned. Last summer I went on a run with 12 other cars, all from BC, only one of them displayed a front plate. I don't know if we have just been lucky or the police don't really care. I don't know how the police in your area would react to no front plate. I just think the car looks so much better without the front plate, so I was prepared to take the risk.

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Don't require the front plate here in NC but you could buy or make some spacers and use toggle bolts. This would allow you to attach the plate without drilling any holes. Just run the bolts through the existing holes in the license plate, put spacers on the bolts to act as standoffs on the backside of the plate, and run the toggle through the grille and tighten. Just an idea.

·
Premium Member
3,977 Posts
ebay...

PONTIAC SOLSTICE FRONT BUMPER LICENSE PLATE HOLDER NEW GM# 10387725

·
Premium Member
3,977 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,446 Posts
I have hide away mounts on both our cars. Designed for a corvette. The plate mounts to a holder with two rods projecting out the back at the bottom. They lock into a corresponding set of tubes that mount to the bottom of the front bumper. Easily removed. I have the plate in the trunk and have done so since 2007

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
I have the OEM GM one. Snaps into front kidney honeycomb grill. Came off my coupe. $50.00 US including shipping if you want it. PM if interested.
F/S OEM Front License Plate Holder

·
Registered
7,020 Posts
You can keep a plate on but make it look better by mounting it lower down.

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
I 3D printed a new bracket to lower the plate. Smoked covers make the plates a little less visible.
Covering the plate is illegal in many states.

·
Super Moderator
7,754 Posts
I personally don't get the covering of the plate but as I live on the US Canadian border I have found it to be very popular with Canadians.
I have understood a couple of reasons for covering the license plate, from using a smoked material for cosmetic effect to using a diffusing material to eliminate the plate as a good target for speed detection by laser.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have posted this many times. Cut two pieces of 1/4 rubber fuel line, one and a half inches long. Attache the pieces to the top mounting holes of the plate using two inch long 1/4 inch screws. Just slip the the lines through any of the honeycomb holes in the grill. If they are a loose fit, just tighten the screws to expand the rubber. You may want washers to make expansion easier. I used these mounts for years in Colorado. I never had any problems.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had my front plate holder removed when I had the waterpump replaced (I'm still triggered by the word waterpump.)

It looks SO MCUH BETTER without the plate holder. I live in CT where it is required but....

Anyways. They used two crews to attach the plate to the car. It only left two small holes and my car is dark blue so it blends in fine. If you want my plate holder I can sell it to you, just message me!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts