Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
No drilling holes. So does it just "stick" on with that black foamtape? That stuff can be pretty darned sticky. Once you put it on it might not like to come off.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Bonzo said:
No drilling holes. So does it just "stick" on with that black foamtape? That stuff can be pretty darned sticky. Once you put it on it might not like to come off.
Didn't see the tape strip. Seems like you could McGuyver some way to hold it up without using the tape.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3M tape down the center of the back. The 4 posts lock into the grill openings and the tape helps secure it. It will be a little tough to pull back off though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Kudos to Pontiac for designing such a sophisticated (front) license plate bracket. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: but I still hate putting it on :banghead:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
stang said:
Didn't see the tape strip. Seems like you could McGuyver some way to hold it up without using the tape.
Yeah, like maybe drill some holes in the bracket itself, at the very end tips of the 4 "fingers." Then use a bolt and a really large washer on the inside of the grill. Or if the fingers stick past the inside of the grill a ways, you could drill the holes sideways through the "fingers" and use cotter pins or something.

That black foamtape can be a bear to get off. It's the same stuff they use on those side window shields, the ones so you can role your window down a crack and not get rain in the car.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Nice guy. :devil:

They had to have it made somewhere, so we got stuck with the job. :brentil:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
Nice guy. :devil:

They had to have it made somewhere, so we got stuck with the job. :brentil:
It's tough being a Canadian. ;)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Editguy said:
It's tough being a Canadian. ;)
Except for the beer :cheers:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Darned Canucks always ruining things..... JK!!!!! :lol:

It's a necessary evil I'm affraid, but I think they did a better job than we all feared in the begining. I was affraid of hole drilling or a side mount. We should be thanking the radiator engineers for thinking of this in advance, because at least it's in the middle. Normally that would be out of the question. A side mount (seen weeks ago in a Photoshop mock up) looks dreadful. It's not GM's fault this thing is required, but they did the best they could. But it still leaves room for both us Jerry Riggers and outlaws to ..........

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
Except for the beer :cheers:
:agree: :cheers: But they lost the best one years ago. GRIZZLY was the best beer, ever, and they went out of business. A real shame, cause man was it good stuff!

Again, :cheers:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Bonzo said:
:agree: :cheers: But they lost the best one years ago. GRIZZLY was the best beer, ever, and they went out of business. A real shame, cause man was it good stuff!

Again, :cheers:
Yeah I can't bear to think about it. :lol:

At least we still have Moosehead. Hell this time of year just about anything is dinkable, even Coors Light.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sorry..there is no way mine will have the plate stuck onto the paint. If I'm forced to use it, it will go completely below the grill.

·
Registered
180 Posts
GNS said:
Sorry..there is no way mine will have the plate stuck onto the paint. If I'm forced to use it, it will go completely below the grill.
You wouldn't want to do that. on the bottom of the car, the plastic thing you see is a scoop to scoop cool air from low and work it up to the radiator. Thats why the engineers say a low mounted License Plate is not a good idea. Thats why I think that whenever I actually get mine, I'm sticking it on the passenger side of the windshield.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
Yeah I can't bear to think about it. :lol:

At least we still have Moosehead. Hell this time of year just about anything is dinkable, even Coors Light.
We've got a bar/restaruant here in mid Ohio that serves Moosehead on tap. Yummy. And I've still got an old Moosehead keg from college that I use as a patio table outside.

So am I right about Grizzly??? My parents used to do blind comparisons every few months with about 6-10 beers, with different friends every time. Only the winner and the worst judged beers got to come back for the next round. I am not over exagerating when I say Grizzly won every single competition.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Jus2shy said:
You wouldn't want to do that. on the bottom of the car, the plastic thing you see is a scoop to scoop cool air from low and work it up to the radiator. Thats why the engineers say a low mounted License Plate is not a good idea. Thats why I think that whenever I actually get mine, I'm sticking it on the passenger side of the windshield.
I plan on check'g that out closely.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
In February, 1991, Amstel stopped making Grizzly beer, and in September closed the Hamilton plant. Molson of Toronto, Ontario, purchased the right to brew Amstel and Grizzly beers in its Etobicoke, Ontario, plant, Ontario.

Not sure if Molsons is still making it, may have to go on a field trip the "The Beer Store" http://www.thebeerstore.ca/storesandproducts/brands-top10.html

Found a patch for saile on ebay though:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Grizzly-Beer-Pat...ryZ50735QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
In February, 1991, Amstel stopped making Grizzly beer, and in September closed the Hamilton plant. Molson of Toronto, Ontario, purchased the right to brew Amstel and Grizzly beers in its Etobicoke, Ontario, plant, Ontario.

Not sure if Molsons is still making it, may have to go on a field trip the "The Beer Store" http://www.thebeerstore.ca/storesandproducts/brands-top10.html

Found a patch for saile on ebay though:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Grizzly-Beer-Pat...ryZ50735QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
The patch says it all. Wow! Haven't seen that wickedly simple logo in ages. Long story but to keep things quick, I actually painted it on the back of my Senior Year High School T shirt. Our Senior logo was an edit of Corona, so I put Grizzly on the back. So I had beer coming and going. The principal was not too fond of the senior class original, or my alteration.

1991 would be about the right time for it going away. I could be wrong, but I don't think Molsen ever took up making it. BIG MISTAKE!!!!! They probably figured it competed with Golden, but they were wrong. I've talked with many a distributor with no luck. But hey, thanks for the beer store link.

Now if we could ever get Molsen and GM to link up with the Solstice!?!?! A re-birth of sorts. I can see it now, a Grizzly Bear driving a Solstice........

1 - 20 of 38 Posts