Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, in NJ front license plate is needed. Does anyone have alternate ideas on mounting them? Mounting them in the middle kills the front grills.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,838 Posts
windshield.

If you dont like that, then I wouldent even put it on. I believe the fine for not having a front license plate is between five and twenty dollars. Dont quote me on it. In Ontario, you also need a front plate, but we all know that nobody is going to stick one on there :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
harry said:
Unfortunately, in NJ front license plate is needed. Does anyone have alternate ideas on mounting them? Mounting them in the middle kills the front grills.
Here is a copy of my post to "Anyone using front license plate yet" earlier this month. It got some positvie responses (although I would prefer to go plateless). Sorry I don't know how to refer to the post other than by copying the original.


Well, here it is. A front plate. (BTW, it will be "VIN 007" but a BMV error has me with the wrong plates for the next few days). I turned the plate holder upside down and inserted the bottom "pins" in the bottom 2 holes in the grill. I thought of sawing off the protruding top pins (that are now the bottom pins) but decided to create a faux connector by putting a black foam rubber tube over the pin and having it look like it connects to the bottom of the front facia - don't want scratching with harder material. (I may still decide to remove the two unused pins). I did not adhere the rubber strip to the car! Forgive me, but in my suburb, the police will not let this violation go without a fine, and another, and another... I'm not looking for approval, this is just the best I could come up with considering what I had to work with.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/28618594916.jpg&s=x1

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/28618524353.jpg&s=x1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
That's the best application I've seen so far. Very creative. :yesnod:
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,600 Posts
I have an impratical idea.

How long does it take to get a new plate in the mail from the DMV? I am hoping it takes 3 months or more. Here is the plan.

Throw away your front plate. Go to the DMV and file a report that your front plate is stolen and needs to be replaced. Get a receipt or acknowledgement. Any time a cop stops you, show them the receipt for the new license plate. After you get the new plate in the mail, milk it for another 3 months or so and just tell the officer, the plate hasn't come in yet.

Bottom line is: all you would have to do is visit the DMV every 6 months and you could LEGALLY get away with never installing a front plate. This plan assumes the State must supply the plate for free and there is no replacement cost.

If the DMV folks ask why this is happening, just tell them you don't know, it may be a prank or something but the bottom line is you NEED a front plate and the frequently missing front plate is not your fault.

Well, its an idea anyway... :devil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Sol Deep said:
Here is a copy of my post to "Anyone using front license plate yet" earlier this month. It got some positvie responses (although I would prefer to go plateless). Sorry I don't know how to refer to the post other than by copying the original.


Well, here it is. A front plate. (BTW, it will be "VIN 007" but a BMV error has me with the wrong plates for the next few days). I turned the plate holder upside down and inserted the bottom "pins" in the bottom 2 holes in the grill. I thought of sawing off the protruding top pins (that are now the bottom pins) but decided to create a faux connector by putting a black foam rubber tube over the pin and having it look like it connects to the bottom of the front facia - don't want scratching with harder material. (I may still decide to remove the two unused pins). I did not adhere the rubber strip to the car! Forgive me, but in my suburb, the police will not let this violation go without a fine, and another, and another... I'm not looking for approval, this is just the best I could come up with considering what I had to work with.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/28618594916.jpg&s=x1

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/28618524353.jpg&s=x1
Definitely not bad. I still refuse to put a front plate on my car, but if I absolutely have to, I will use this method.

Flagg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,592 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
harry said:
Unfortunately, in NJ front license plate is needed. Does anyone have alternate ideas on mounting them? Mounting them in the middle kills the front grills.
Do some research and you'll find many threads on this topic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
License plate woes

We all know that a front plate spoils the looks of any car. Unfortunately some insurance companies say we need one so what I do is keep my front plate with me and when I do get pulled over I produce it and say that I am waiting for a special mounting bracket before I put it on. It works and all the cop wants is an excuse to see the car anyway.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
I see 4 out of 5 vettes in NJ running without front plates...I'm joining them.

Be careful mounting lower, someone said engineers at Detriot party mentioned airflow issues if plate gets too low.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Bonzo said:
Nice idea and creativity, but I think this looks.....well......stupid is the only word I can think of. It looks worse than in the middle of the grill. Also, see previous threads about lowering the plate affecting proper engine cooling.
Well, it was a suggestion and only a suggestion. As for being too low, there is nothing behind the plate BUT THE FRONT FACIA. How is the plate being in front of the front facia, not lower, but in front of, and also allowing more air flow into the grill, obstructing any air flow to the engine? Take another look at the pictures. Also, I previously addressed the engine temperature issue, noting no change (and still no change weeks later), even in stop-and-go rush hour traffic lasting more than an hour (and that's tougher on the cooling than racing around a track). It may look "stupid" to some, and it may not even be legal, (I'll take my chances of explaining the positioning of my plate to the Ohio Highway Patrol over you having no plate any day, thank you), but others find it a viable alternative. You,ve never been confused with being an ambassador, have you? :brentil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
Sol Deep said:
Well, it was a suggestion and only a suggestion. As for being too low, there is nothing behind the plate BUT THE FRONT FACIA. How is the plate being in front of the front facia, not lower, but in front of, and also allowing more air flow into the grill, obstructing any air flow to the engine? Take another look at the pictures. Also, I previously addressed the engine temperature issue, noting no change (and still no change weeks later), even in stop-and-go rush hour traffic lasting more than an hour (and that's tougher on the cooling than racing around a track). It may look "stupid" to some, and it may not even be legal, (I'll take my chances of explaining the positioning of my plate to the Ohio Highway Patrol over you having no plate any day, thank you), but others find it a viable alternative. You,ve never been confused with being an ambassador, have you? :brentil:
I think it's a very viable idea, Sol Deep! Thanks for sharing; please continue to do so, no matter how rude some folks may be.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Sol_Deep, I thought it looked pretty good, better than across the grill.

Myself, I'd move to another state first before I put one on, but that's just me ;) :lol:

Editguy, I understand AZ has no front plate law, but there is an initiative to have one, is that correct???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
RODEO said:
Sol_Deep, I thought it looked pretty good, better than across the grill.

Myself, I'd move to another state first before I put one on, but that's just me ;) :lol:

Editguy, I understand AZ has no front plate law, but there is an initiative to have one, is that correct???
As far as I know there is no initiative. I have heard someone else mention this before, and I searched and couldn't find anything. I read the paper daily and
have seen nothing in the legislative news. As big a fight as it was a few years ago to get rid of the front plate (and the funny thing is that all the states that say you need them for photo radar and red light cams, and we have both without a front plate!) I would think it would be pretty high profile if they were trying to reinstate them. I say, over my dead body! :lol:
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
4,592 Posts
Editguy said:
As far as I know there is no initiative. I have heard someone else mention this before, and I searched and couldn't find anything. I read the paper daily and
have seen nothing in the legislative news. As big a fight as it was a few years ago to get rid of the front plate (and the funny thing is that all the states that say you need them for photo radar and red light cams, and we have both without a front plate!) I would think it would be pretty high profile if they were trying to reinstate them. I say, over my dead body! :lol:
Give me liberty - and no front license plate - or give me death, I like that state motto :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
LIKE IT....looks better than the original design in the center of the grills. I am going to go without the front plant initially, but if I find I need to put it on, I may copy your mod.....thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Sol Deep's idea is good. My Sol came with the frame already dealer-mounted on the grill. Looked awful! (Remember Minnie Pearl with that price tag dangling from her hat?) I did Sol Deep's modification and it now looks 100% better. I also added a thin chrome licence plate frame for strength and appearance. Dropped by the dealership and everyone commented on how much better the plate looked in it's new position. My main concern would be damaging the grill if I hit a high curb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
jimbo said:
I have an impratical idea.

How long does it take to get a new plate in the mail from the DMV? I am hoping it takes 3 months or more. Here is the plan.

Throw away your front plate. Go to the DMV and file a report that your front plate is stolen and needs to be replaced. Get a receipt or acknowledgement. Any time a cop stops you, show them the receipt for the new license plate. After you get the new plate in the mail, milk it for another 3 months or so and just tell the officer, the plate hasn't come in yet.

Bottom line is: all you would have to do is visit the DMV every 6 months and you could LEGALLY get away with never installing a front plate. This plan assumes the State must supply the plate for free and there is no replacement cost.

If the DMV folks ask why this is happening, just tell them you don't know, it may be a prank or something but the bottom line is you NEED a front plate and the frequently missing front plate is not your fault.

Well, its an idea anyway... :devil:
:lol: :lol: I think the DMV's will catch on with 10,000+ missing plates in the mail. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,512 Posts
jooker said:
Sol Deep's idea is good. My Sol came with the frame already dealer-mounted on the grill. Looked awful! (Remember Minnie Pearl with that price tag dangling from her hat?) I did Sol Deep's modification and it now looks 100% better. I also added a thin chrome licence plate frame for strength and appearance. Dropped by the dealership and everyone commented on how much better the plate looked in it's new position. My main concern would be damaging the grill if I hit a high curb.
I like the chrome license plate idea, it should help it coordinate with the front grill a little better. Thanks! Another item to add to my shopping list for my Sol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
Sol Deep said:
As for being too low, there is nothing behind the plate BUT THE FRONT FACIA. How is the plate being in front of the front facia, not lower, but in front of, and also allowing more air flow into the grill, obstructing any air flow to the engine? Also, I previously addressed the engine temperature issue, noting no change (and still no change weeks later), even in stop-and-go rush hour traffic lasting more than an hour (and that's tougher on the cooling than racing around a track).
Like I said, you need to see some previous threads. GM Engineers said this wasn't a good idea. And since to me it doesn't look 1 bit better, why bother?

It may look "stupid" to some, and it may not even be legal, (I'll take my chances of explaining the positioning of my plate to the Ohio Highway Patrol over you having no plate any day, thank you), but others find it a viable alternative.
Unless you had the lowering idea about 5 months ago, that part was not your idea (but maybe it was?). I stated in those threads then that I thought it looked worse lower than dead center. So I'm sorry if you took my "stupid" remark personally. It was not meant towards you or your beautiful car personally. I just think it looks like it is falling off. Like the trend kids have around here with hanging the plate with only 1 screw so it's slanted. Now that looks really stupid.

Flipping the bracket was your idea that I know of, and I think that's a good idea, even though I still don't like the result. I will never squash a good idea or suggestion, regardless of the result. But I like your thinking.

You,ve never been confused with being an ambassador, have you? :brentil:
:glol: Nope. Nor a lying cheating politician. I call 'em like I see 'em. All you'll ever get from me is the truth. Problem is some people don't like the truth. :)
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top