Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody figured out what the Solstice front end looks like with a license plate on it? I live in Virginia and will have to put one on.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I plan to make a flip down set up for the plate where I can have it tucked out of sight and if the cops stop me I will pull a lever to flip it down and then I will act as if the cop is nuts and walk around front and show him the plate and tell him he has been working too much and must take some time off. Then I will drive off leaving him felling like a fool. LOL

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
ateam_77 said:
I plan to make a flip down set up for the plate where I can have it tucked out of sight and if the cops stop me I will pull a lever to flip it down and then I will act as if the cop is nuts and walk around front and show him the plate and tell him he has been working too much and must take some time off. Then I will drive off leaving him felling like a fool. LOL
:agree: lol

·
Registered
62 Posts
ateam_77 said:
OOO!!! I like that idea. :)
I just wanted one that was removable and I could leave it in the trunk, but a motorized one, that would be a classic to have them walk around and actually see it. :lol:

Maybe KappaSphere can develop this. It would only need a couple of tracks and a motor. That'd be awesome.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Abolish Front Plates Forever!

The one fly in the ointment! Pontiac didn't have license plates on their mind when designing this front end. Oh well, so the car's "almost" perfect. I live in California, and this state also requires front plates. However, I have many friends who operate their cars without the plates, and very rarely does one get a ticket. A cop can not pull you over for that infraction alone, there must be some kind of moving violation to go along with it. That said, my Solstice will not be deformed by have a plate on its nose. Back at you!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Actually, the best image we have of where the front plate will go was a picture taken by Bonzo at one of the Ride and Drives. The car doesn't actually have the plate mounted in the photo, but it's got the bra on, with the cut-out section for the plate. The photo is in the gallery, but here is a thumbnail for those too lazy to go look.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...wanta bet?

CalBear said:
A cop can not pull you over for that infraction alone, there must be some kind of moving violation to go along with it. That said, my Solstice will not be deformed by have a plate on its nose. Back at you!
If you couldn't be pulled over for an infraction, most of the CVC sections would be almost mute. There was a 2003 case that was thrown out by the 1st District in Calif, for a front plate stop by CHP (Peo v. White, I think), but ONLY BECAUSE the car in question was from Arizona, and Arizona did not issue a front plate. The front plate is only required IF it is issued (regardless of the state the car is from). CVC5200 covers this and provides some of the best PC for vehicle stops.

And btw. Certain SoCal communities regularly ticket for no front plate. All those traffic cameras depend on being able to record the plate number, so until they disappear, front plates in Calif are here to stay, and will prob be more and more enforced.
:cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I live in Ohio and they require front license plates, but I haven't had one on my Grand Prix GTP since I purchased it in 2002. I haven't received a ticket yet and I think it might be because Cincinnati borders Kentucky and they don't require a front license plate.

I don't plan on putting a front license plate on my solstice either. :cool:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
All those traffic cameras depend on being able to record the plate number, so until they disappear, front plates in Calif are here to stay, and will prob be more and more inforced.
Ya know what's funny about that is that Arizona has photo radar and redlight cams, but we don't have front plates. But, the cams take front and rear pics.

·
Registered
134 Posts
ateam_77 said:
I live in New York (where you have to display front plate) and I use to drive without one. Never was stopped by a cop but got a few tickets from the meter maids when I parked on the street. It got so bad that I gave in and put the front plate on! :cuss:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Editguy said:
Ya know what's funny about that is that Arizona has photo radar and redlight cams, but we don't have front plates. But, the cams take front and rear pics.

We had those traffic light cameras in Beaverton, Oregon when I lived there. The front shot of the auto is mostly for photographing the driver (so be sure to :) when you see one), and the rear shot gets the tag. (Running red lights seems to be a very popular "sport" on the west coast.) The city actually lost about $10 - $15 on each violation due to the processing of the information and notifying the vehicle owner.

I am planning on putting a strong magnet on the inner part of the front facia (and a soft material on the back of the plate) to hold the plate on when I "feel like" displaying it. If a cop stops (i.e. harasses) me for no front plate, I can always look surprised and say something like "damn, did it fall off again?" :lol:

My viewpoint is that not having a front plate posses no danger to anyone unless a lazy cop suffers a heart attack as a result of the physical exersion of walking around to the rear of the car. :yesnod:

Now if the cops would instead focus on REAL crimes this country would be an even greater place to live than it already is. :patriot:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Is it possible that isn't the real plate location in the photo but rather where you have to move the plate to if you put a bra on? It doesn't look like a cutout to me, but an actual plate holder attached to the bra.

Then again, maybe I'm just wishing too hard. :(

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I agree...my problem here in VA..is our annual state inspection...must have both plates on to get it passed.....and you have to get it to renew the plates.....anyway...hope it can be removed and replaced easily if it is just "bolted" to the grill and not holes in the facia...

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
AztekzRpurty said:
Is it possible that isn't the real plate location in the photo but rather where you have to move the plate to if you put a bra on? It doesn't look like a cutout to me, but an actual plate holder attached to the bra.

Then again, maybe I'm just wishing too hard. :(
It is not a cutout, its actually more cover that goes in back of the plate. I took a close look at this thing when I took the picture. At first I thought it might be the plate holder itself, built into the bra. I thought the edge might elastically wrap the license plate, or the edge might be velcro like. But this was not the case that I could see. If you go to the GM Accessories Thread and look at Drex's post, you will see 2 bra options, "Front End Cover WITH License Plate Provision" and "Front End Cover WITHOUT License Plate Provision." So the question is, why would you make a bra with a License Plate Provision? Is it important to have bra protection behind the License Plate? I guess until we see the License Plate holder we'll just have to keep guessing.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
hughfwolfe said:
It's just wonderfull to be here in Arizona... Not only do we not have that ugly piece of tin on the front end... We also don't have to worry about weather the top is up or down on account of rain or snow... :party:
:agree:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.