Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone one have information on front mount intercoolers for the gxp ill have intake exhaust and a tune didnt know if i need one but i will have the front bumper off soon and would like to put it on then.
Thanks for any info

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,536 Posts
Does anyone one have information on front mount intercoolers for the gxp ill have intake exhaust and a tune didnt know if i need one but i will have the front bumper off soon and would like to put it on then.
Thanks for any info
Err, umm,

You already have an intercooler mounted on the front of your GXP. It was put there at the factory . . .

:dunno:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I had a Dejon brand and it got cracked in an accident it was great, now I have a Performance Autowerks (WERKS) just put it in Saturday it is a just a bit thicker than the Dejon but I can't tell much difference both are excellent quality, the factory one is a piece of crap and less than half the size of the others. You won't see a direct HP gain what you get is a cooler running motor and it is less likely to heat soak when driving hard. They also can withstand a helluva lot more boost, my car hits and hold 26 psi the factory intercooler would go poof.

By the way the bumper is really easy to take on and off, I did the whole intercooler swap in just over an hour.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have the Hahn racecraft IC and its awesome. its huge compared to stock, much better built and i see 1-3 PSI higher boost levels from it on the intake manifold side. seems to cool and flow better. well worth the money spent. Plus its so big that its VERY easily seen hiding behind the front grills. adds to the aggressive look a bit.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Not sure Hahn still sells them, only other one is DDM they are all forum sponsers

·
Premium Member
10,474 Posts
Yes, Hahn still sells them and it has some newer instructions for the installation.

·
Super Moderator
16,608 Posts

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Performance Autowerks Intercooler
This is the one I installed last weekend. It increased my low end torque over my cracked Dejon (accident not Dejons fault) It was easy to install.

·
Registered
859 Posts
i assumed that was a given that people know that :thumbs:
im wanting after market
While I havn't put our Hahn unit in yet, I've checked the dimensions, and Hahn was kind enough to send me the instructions even though I bought their unit used. With the Hahn, I've concluded that you really must take the front nose off, but really beyond that, all these units, no matter manufacturer, require little or no mods. The hahn is thick, and so requires a little trimming to the plastic pickup piece for the radiator. Performance wise, you should see several benefits. Those that have installed IC's say the overall power band feels stronger (there is likely small power gains), but moreso, the motor will have a cooler charge, and produce more power under repeated load (which is debated as happening just under normal driving load). If you plan ANY serious future mods, the IC upgrade is there, and is needed if sticking with the 2.0.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ok got a question about after cooler possible issue.Sounds stupid but I need to ask because I really don't know much about theses cars.Ran into one of those cement curb stops and caught the underside of my front bumper,it ripped the air dam and the lower cover ,as I look at the inter cooler ,it appears that the lower bracket screw damaged the bottom of the inter cooler .It has a small dent where the screw rammed into the bottom ,so how will I know if that is causing me an issue with the inter cooler. Obliviously there is no liquid to leak so how exactly will I know if it is not operating right? It is a small spot ,if it actually is leaking there ,cant it be repaired like with JD weld ?I know it sounds crazy but once again ,I don't know much about these cars,unfortunately I am learning when things go wrong or I just screw up.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Rochester New York ,town of Clarkson .Don't have photo privileges here.

·
Registered
346 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Certainly won't be helping your airflow through the cooling tube(s) at the bottom. Have you driven it, when the turbo kicks in do you hear anything different (like air escaping through a small area)? Your bring up a good question though, where is the sensor located for our boost readout? If it's at the intake (after the IC), then I'd think having a small leak is going to show up on your readout (you won't be able to reach boost you used to).

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yes drove it straight home,never kicked in the boost ,my hearing not that good,I never ever hear the air escaping from the turbo that people talk about,so not sure if I would notice any air escape.I was not going to hit the boost yet ,not sure if I can cause any other problems.I was hitting at WOT around 25 psi to 26 psi ,also heard about heat and engine cooling issues,not sure what that is all about so I was playing it safe by not engaging boost.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yes drove it straight home,never kicked in the boost ,my hearing not that good,I never ever hear the air escaping from the turbo that people talk about,so not sure if I would notice any air escape.I was not going to hit the boost yet ,not sure if I can cause any other problems.I was hitting at WOT around 25 psi to 26 psi ,also heard about heat and engine cooling issues,not sure what that is all about so I was playing it safe by not engaging boost.
So you have a serious aftermarket tune, that's a lot of boost, not stock. I'd like to see what people more experienced with this car say about where the boost sensor is located because I'd think it would be ok to make a run or two to let the boost kick in once the car is warmed up and see where you are at. With that boost though, like I said I don't think you're stock tune, so maybe you'd be better off upgrading to an aftermarket IC which you could use anyway?

You do have to be careful with the frontend though, that's one of the first things I noticed how the IC is sitting right down on that lower plastic panel. Won't take much to damage it, and I never get near those parking stops.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts