Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I'm a bit ambivalent over where to place the front plate. I don't want to obscure the grillwork, but I'm also not interested in the legal attention that windshield-mounted plates attract. Has anyone considered a custom mount like this?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Continental Op said:
I'm a bit ambivalent over where to place the front plate. I don't want to obscure the grillwork, but I'm also not interested in the legal attention that windshield-mounted plates attract. Has anyone considered a custom mount like this?
that looks better than over the grill IMHO, but you would still have to have holes drilled, and i would rather wing it and pay the fine if i ever come accross a cop that is in a bad enough mood to actually ticket me for it.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
solsticeman said:
Move it to the upper part of the grille.
I agree. Center it in the grille so you can see honeycomb above it and below it. That will help the plate to fit in, kind of like its floating in the grille.


I don't like the offcenter look at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,044 Posts
I'm thinking . . . behind the grill! :glol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
swatthefly said:
that looks better than over the grill IMHO, but you would still have to have holes drilled, and i would rather wing it and pay the fine if i ever come accross a cop that is in a bad enough mood to actually ticket me for it.
A bracket can be fabricated with a right angle, extending horizontally under the bottom of the body and attaching with fasteners vertically into body or frame. This is the option I plan on doing if I get a hard time from the cops
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Phooey!

Good Lord! I totally forgot about this. I'm canceling my order now! This is a deal breaker! LOL

Seriously, the plate destroys the front end of this vehicle. I'm going to be one of the thousands of CA drivers who risk it... and not put it on. Does anyone know what fines are involved if you get caught?

My understanding is that if a cop has a right to pull you over for something else (speeding) he can also cite you for the missing front plate--but even then it's only a fix-it-ticket. Maybe there are fines associated with multiple offenses?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
GNS said:
A bracket can be fabricated with a right angle, extending horizontally under the bottom of the body and attaching with fasteners vertically into body or frame. This is the option I plan on doing if I get a hard time from the cops

Oh, the horror, the horror! I dont see anywhere I could stand mounting it.
While the bracket idea is very good (best so far Ive seen), I have to say Im sticking to the carrying-the-bashed-up-plate-and-"bracket"-in-the-trunk ploy(if there's enouch room! :lol: ) in case Im stopped and saying I havent had a chance to fix it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
Looks like I will be running without the fron plate mounted (until I am told otherwise). Did this with my three years that I owned my Vette and didn't get pulled over. Whats nice around hear (NE Wis) is that Michigan doesn't require front plates so most of the time the cops just think your from "Up nord".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
The front mounting plate was an option that HAD to be added to my order since NJ requires one.

Does anyone know whether holes are drilled into the bumper assy or somewhere else to accomodate the mounting?

I'm hoping that is not the case so that I could remove the mounting plate. Being a Mayor sometimes can be beneficial...... :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
on my dada stealth there is bolts nice big ones that you atach a plate to the guy we bought it from had a red wings plate on it. actuley it dident look bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
The Mayor said:
The front mounting plate was an option that HAD to be added to my order since NJ requires one.

Does anyone know whether holes are drilled into the bumper assy or somewhere else to accomodate the mounting?

I'm hoping that is not the case so that I could remove the mounting plate. Being a Mayor sometimes can be beneficial...... :cool:
Worst case scenario, the front bumper cover will have 2 very small dimples (not thru and thru,) that help the prep guys locate where to drill for the initial 2 holes for the rivets. Check out an Envoy or a full size truck/SUV to get an idea. They are hardly noticeable unless you get down to ground level and stare at them from an angle... unless of course they're drilled out.

I would recommend telling your salesperson to mount the bracket, or add any dealer stickers. Most dealers will send it over the curb w/ a license frame as an alternative to the sticker. I don't think there are any laws that mandate you MUST have the bracket mounted. Just say you're moving out of state soon, or just moved there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
711 Posts
I spoke to my father about this and he says that he knows one guy at work who sticks his front plate on the windshield side of his sun visor. So far that's worked for him and he's not received a ticket. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,487 Posts
The Mayor said:
The front mounting plate was an option that HAD to be added to my order since NJ requires one.
I'm guessing the dealer is required to say that, but if you say you're going to be registering it out of state, they can probably opt to leave it off the order. If so, they may ask you to put it in writing in order to cover their legal responsibilities. I wouldn't guarantee it, but I'm guessing they could get around it if they made a note to that effect in your file. (Of course, you'd have to be willing to tell a "little white lie" to pull it off.) Anybody else have any luck keeping the front plate off your order in a state that requires it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
I think the dealer is only required to order the bracket with the car and give it to you. I already told my dealer I didn't want it mounted and he said he'd leave it in the car on the floor. I also requested no dealer sticker on the back too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,312 Posts
hyzer said:
I think the dealer is only required to order the bracket with the car and give it to you. I already told my dealer I didn't want it mounted and he said he'd leave it in the car on the floor. I also requested no dealer sticker on the back too.

Think I will do the same.
 
1 - 20 of 160 Posts
Top