Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

If you live in a state requiring the use of a front license plate, where will you put

• Where the DMV intended, in that bracket Pontiac mounted to the front fascia of your Solstice

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • I am removing the bracket, and will toss the plate on the dash so its at least visible.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • The plate will ride in the trunk. I want it in the car, but it doesn't need to be seen.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • What plate? I don't remember getting two of those things officer!

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I saw a good issue touched on in another thread. Where will they be putting the front license plate bracket on this car, and how bad will it mess up the beautiful lines of the front end of the car? Anyone good with photoshop want to try their hand at showing us a Solstice with a front plate.

Also in regards to that mention I saw, I will start a poll. If you live where you have a front plate, what will you do?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I already did a photoshop months ago and put it up on another thread, but I'll put it here too. Note: I also closed in the headlights for a more traditional look and less cheasy bling-bling, as well as added small stripes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Can't be sure, but I think one of those prototypes was sighted with a front license plate bracket. I missed it, but the person who saw it described it as a "glossy black" solstice (near the Milford Proving Ground in Michigan) earlier this summer.

Her description of the plate bracket: center of the car, between the grilles. I asked if she was sure, and she said it looked strange, the grille material was white on a black car, with stripes on the car.

Kept my eyes peeled, don't know why there would be a front license plate bracket on a car in Michigan, but she was pretty sure there was a square plate on the front.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the pic Aerodave! I must have missed it on your earlier thread. It looks a little low to me. I doubt it will be that low on the production car. I kind of expect it to be in front of/between the grille on the leading edge of the front although it doesn't have to be there.

Solsticeman, maybe they had it on the car for testing the cooling capacity of the radiator, or underhood airflow testing with a plate blocking part of the grill.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Thanks for the pic Aerodave! I must have missed it on your earlier thread. It looks a little low to me. I doubt it will be that low on the production car. I kind of expect it to be in front of/between the grille on the leading edge of the front although it doesn't have to be there.
Yeah I know, I just put it where I would put it if I was in charge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
well, since we'd be running over anyone who might need to see a front plate, why not mount it a few more inches below the grill. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
AeroDave said:
I already did a photoshop months ago and put it up on another thread, but I'll put it here too. Note: I also closed in the headlights for a more traditional look and less cheasy bling-bling, as well as added small stripes.
Those simple changes make it alot better. Good job :)

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Sighting Rumor

I haven't talked at length with the source, but a FOAF of mine says he saw a black solstice a week or two ago, with a license plate bracket on the front (just an aluminum plate). Top was up but he did not notice anything that caught his attention, so he couldn't describe the top appearance.

Sighted in SE Michigan, on one of the local highways. Interesting thing is, he swears it was towing a box or had a "box" on a trailer hitch. And some striped "caution" tape on the side.

Anyways, placement of the plate was pretty much the same as the other sighting - dead center between the grilles, both vertically and horizontally. Just for inquiring minds...

Haven't seen one myself, but I'm still looking.

·
4,592 Posts
Front Plate Enforcement

One thing to keep in mind for those of you considering not displaying the front plate:

Here in california, many cities are installing the cameras to catch red light runners. This has the unfortunate side effect of INCREASED license plate enforcement, everything from forcing people who reside here but have out of state plates to correct that, to displaying both plates.

I'd sure love a workaround if anybody has ideas, but it doesn't seem worth getting pulled over every other day by CHP for a fix-it-ticket :rolleyes .

at the least, this can serve as a heads up to those of us in areas that these ticket cameras are being used :thumbs .

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Solution: move to Florida :D

We don't have front plate requirments here. So I don't have to worry about covering up whatever lovely Kappa grill I have.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
solsticeman said:
Sighted in SE Michigan, on one of the local highways. Interesting thing is, he swears it was towing a box or had a "box" on a trailer hitch. And some striped "caution" tape on the side.

Anyways, placement of the plate was pretty much the same as the other sighting - dead center between the grilles, both vertically and horizontally. Just for inquiring minds...
Sounds like they might be working on the storage problem. Might mean the trunk space is pretty damb small, but we pretty much figured that right? Good to know that they could be well, aware and working on an optional sollution.

Sounds like they might be mounting the plate too high for my tastes. I don't think that's reason to get worried though. Chances are they will put the bracket for the front plate either under the plate, coming up from below, or if they are smart, through the grill holes. Either way, it should be reasonably easy to lower the plate down closer to the ground, and if it's too high, I will do this.

I will probably also angle it to match the contour of the car, much like my photochop (see above posts). If I have to do this, I will definately share with others here the details, or maybe I can make you the mod kit or something. I have very strong background in fabrication, modification and engineering. So people in states where you need a front plate, don't worry, I'm pretty damb sure I can make it better if Pontiac won't. :cheers

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Bizz said:
brentil said:
Solution: move to Florida :D
i didnt know the solstice could float! :jester
I don't live near the St. Johns River, or any other major waterway so my part of FL is still above water right now. As long as we don't get toooooo many more hurricanes. I mean cause we've only had 3 so far right here in Central Florida.

·
4,592 Posts
Florida/Arizona?

If I lived in florida, I'd be looking to buy a boat more than a solstice, seems more practical these days :crazy ! Or, maybe looking for another place to move - although I couldn't recommend california for several reasons, front license plate requirements being one of them.

Does anyone know if Arizona requires front plates. i researched, and think they don't, but are considering implimenting a requirement. would love feedback if anyone knows! I'm thinking about Flagstaff for relocation, with dreams of driving the solstice on old Route66 :leaving

·
Registered
275 Posts
Can't ski behind one. Have seen in action and has very little freeboard - calm lakes and rivers only. Besides metal body in salt water is a no-no.

Now a DUKW...

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
padgett said:
Can't ski behind one. Have seen in action and has very little freeboard - calm lakes and rivers only. Besides metal body in salt water is a no-no.

Now a DUKW...
You can ski behind an Aquada and Richard Branson just crossed the English Channle in one! Perfect for getting around Florida!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts