Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The safety information of my CTEK5.0 battery maintainer states: .... ... Never charge a frozen or damaged battery ... :..

Never even realized a battery car freeze.

At what temperature does a battery freeze ?

·
Super Moderator
6,482 Posts
It depends on its state of charge, and is one compelling reason to use a battery maintainer in the winter.

A fully charged battery is good to -76F / -60C, but a fully discharged battery will freeze at 32F / 0C, just like water.
I haven't seen data, but freeze temperature for a partially charged battery is probably roughly linear between those two points.

When a battery freezes it usually ends up with a cracked case, leaving a pool of acid underneath it.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
At -60C I don't think you have to worry about a battery freezing. THat's actually the reason I don't take my battery out of the car during winter storage. In Canada it gets damn cold at times but never even close to -60.

·
Super Moderator
6,482 Posts
This from Optima:
OPTIMA YELLOWTOP® batteries are protected from freezing down to -30°F when fully-charged to about 13.0-13.2 volts and our REDTOP® batteries are protected from freezing down to -50°F when fully-charged to about 12.6-12.8 volts. However, if those batteries are not fully-charged, they can freeze at warmer temperatures.
While a fully charged wet cell battery is good to -76F, if it is powering the car's electronics it is continually discharging and according to GM will be substantially discharged (ie: May not be able to start the engine) after 3 months . At that point it will have much less protection from low temperature.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It depends on its state of charge, and is one compelling reason to use a battery maintainer in the winter

When a battery freezes it usually ends up with a cracked case, leaving a pool of acid underneath it.
Yep that what happens. My Dad had a VW in the 60's probly was a 6 volt was having battery problems. Got a new battery guess it wasnt any good though. Was around 20 that night in the morning cranked it one time that was it. Liquid underneath the battery but white ice underneath the caps. Not the best thing to have under the rear seat.

They have battery blankets and heaters nowadays for more options. Have a heater on my truck checked it at -18 was 60 f on the top of the battery. I only plug it in at night when I know I'm going in the morning or cold snap

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Good point John that's why I can't emphasize enough to those who store your cars to keep some type of a battery maintainer on them .
Or just disconnect it for the 6 months the car is put away.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Or just disconnect it for the 6 months the car is put away.
No, no and NO. Disconnecting the battery will accomplish very little. Disconnected or not, a battery has INTERNAL LEAKAGE which will cause the battery to discharge - and thus be prone to freezing in cold weather. Either a battery maintainer or removing and storing the battery in a warm place are the only correct answers.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
I have disconnected the battery for 6 months at a time since I got the car 10 years ago. I hook the battery up 6 months later and the car fires right up, always has.
You take your battery out or use a tender but I haven't drank the Koolaid, simply disconnecting it works just fine.
Look, I store my car with about 30 others in a facility here in Canada and they haven't drank the Koolaid either. The morning in May when the cars come out of storage has everyone hook up their batteries and drive away.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have disconnected the battery for 6 months at a time since I got the car 10 years ago. I hook the battery up 6 months later and the car fires right up, always has.
You take your battery out or use a tender but I haven't drank the Koolaid, simply disconnecting it works just fine.
Look, I store my car with about 30 others in a facility here in Canada and they haven't drank the Koolaid either. The morning in May when the cars come out of storage has everyone hook up their batteries and drive away.
Even though your mileage may vary, "Koolaid" has nothing to do with the laws of physics. A lead-acid battery, disconnected or not, DOES have internal leakage which, sooner or later, WILL discharge the battery.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I have always disconnected the battery for winter storage as well. Six months later it has always fired right up. A friend who parks his car in the same building always keeps his connected with a trickle charger (not a battery tender) hooked up. Several times he has had starting issues. This is for my Firebird, I keep a battery tender on my Solstice because of the issues that can occur with the electronics if that battery is disconnected.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts