Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I picked up a used K04r from a member on CSS. He was pushing 39lbs/min at +3,400ft elevation. Im hoping to hit at least 40lbs at +500ft on 93 octane. I'm currently pushing 36lbs/min on the stock turbo.

If anyone has followed my previous threads, the tuning will be done by Term2 and we will be using 93 octane. I doubt we will have enough fuel to run e47 this time. But I do plan on picking up a ZZP fuel lobe cam and the Opel injectors to try. Goal here is to exceed 400bhp using a turbo upgrade that cost $495.

I won't be installing it until I get the high pressure wastegate I ordered. I am also going to have the turbine housing ceramic coated

Pics:

K04r vs ZFR 6758

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Looks like an excellent project! Love to see the out come.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Keep us updated!!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I shouldn't say this, but MAF flow is so easily contorted that it is not an accurate determinate of horsepower, nor can it be figured accurately into crank hp.

But, that is a good deal on that turbo.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I shouldn't say this, but MAF flow is so easily contorted that it is not an accurate determinate of horsepower, nor can it be figured accurately into crank hp.

But, that is a good deal on that turbo.
Ya i remember when i was pushing 41lbs/min on my stock turbo, i believed it for a sec, moving the maf to the cold side pipe and making maf adjustments must of skewed the numbers a bit.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just received shipping notification for the high pressure wastage canister. As soon as it arrive I'm going to install the turbo and start tuning.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New wastegate came in. It looks very similar to the wastegate that comes with the EFR turbos. From what I have seen the factory one has a 4psi spring in it, this one is 12psi. IT should hold full boost all the way to redline. We prob won't push more than 25psi on 93 octane.

Compared to stock wastegate

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP
258 Posts
I am confused with the 6758 comparison. What is your redline? How much power is a K04r good for compared to stock?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am confused with the 6758 comparison. What is your redline? How much power is a K04r good for compared to stock?
Thats is just to compare the K04r to the 6758 from ZZP. There is a mega long thread on CSS between the 2 of them and I think I'm the first to post a pic of both side by side.

The K04r is a compressor wheel upgrade, from what other have posted they are seeing 39-41lbs/min, so maybe 20-30hp more depending on your tuner. More if you have access to E85. I should be able to give you a better idea on gains one I actually install it. Im seeing 36lbs/min right now on stock K04.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Is this K04r different from the Werks or DDM upgraded k04's?.
There is only so much room on a K04 turbo to add a larger wheel.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is this K04r different from the Werks or DDM upgraded k04's?.
There is only so much room on a K04 turbo to add a larger wheel.
Yes its a factory turbo with clipped turbine wheel and billet compressor wheel. The K04r is only $495+250 core and the wheel is slightly bigger than DDM and Pwerks. The main benefit over DDM and PWERKS is the price really. I do not believe this turbo will make THAT much more HP than Pwerks. It may make a hair more but over all the cost makes it just right.

Best way to think of it is that this turbo cost just about as much as an intercooler and delivers more bang for your buck.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
I have the original upgraded wheel turbo and DDM tuned it, but not at their shop.
The best Dave can do without putting it on a Dyno is 350 at the crank.
I do not have any add on's.
I have to agree for $495.00 is a great price.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
You mean "350" at the crank.

as in you really have no idea

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
Actually a friend that has a shop here in town that does Ferraris and other exotics put it on his Dyno at it showed at 292 WHP.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
DO you have HFC?.
Also DynoJet Dyno is not a true Eddy current Dyno and you are probably more into the 280 range.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't have a cat and also have all the bolt ons.
It was tuned to 23psi.

I will be installing the FTW as well and meth.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Do you feel comfortable running this w/the OEM pistons & rods?

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I would feel comfortable running a K04R with stock pistons and rods...

mostly because it doesn't make that much more than stock.

IMHO it hasn't shown to be a worthy upgrade in my book..

and as far as the OP expecting 400hp...

I think not

1 - 20 of 88 Posts