Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just drove #830 from Detroit to Tampa and noticed that the fuel economy seemed to vary with each tank of gas. When I started out it had 750mi on it and I changed the oil at about 550mi. I usually maintained between 75-85MPH. All fill-ups were 93 octane, the first tank I averaged 23.5 MPG, the second about 24.5 MPG but the third tank yielded 28.5 MPG, and the final tank was about 26 MPG. The terrain was different so there should be some difference but the 3rd and 4th tanks were through Georgia and Florida on basically flat terrain. Has anyone else noticed this. Also I noticed that the a/c remains on even if the a/c light is not on but the recirculate light is on. Is this correct or is it malfunctioning?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
As engines break in over time they usually start getting better fuel economy values. They also seem to become a bit more peppy too from what everyone is saying. Once you get over 1000 miles the engine seems to get more lively.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I'll bet the first two tanks were while you were on the up-hill side of Knoxville (storing kinetic energy) and the last two were coming back down (spending it).

I'm sure there is a physics guy out there that could convert the (extra) effort required to move you and your car (~3000-lbs) up several thousand feet into MPGs -I'll bet it would work out pretty close to the numbers you've seen. :yesnod:

The real test would be to make the return trip :lol:

Many moons ago, traveling from Michigan to eastern Pennsylvania, I remember getting 10-mpg better mileage coming home than on the way(AMC Alliance with 225,000+ miles on the odometer).

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just drove (Friday/Saturday of last week) from Detroit to Jacksonville (60-75) and I averaged 29.3 mpg. AC on only 1/3 of the way down, top down between Detroit to Dayton, OH and from Macon, GA to Jacksonville, FL -- Top up in between.

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
brentil said:
As engines break in over time they usually start getting better fuel economy values. They also seem to become a bit more peppy too from what everyone is saying. Once you get over 1000 miles the engine seems to get more lively.
:agree: The car I use for long trips is a 1997 Nissan Altima and it would get about 30 mpg back in 1998. However, I avg 34 mpg now and on my last trip I actually got 40 mpg (the best ever)... not bad for a 8+ YO car with over 160,000 miles :thumbs: The Nissan engine runs even better now than at 20,000 miles. ;)

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
solucky said:
Just drove #830 from Detroit to Tampa and noticed that the fuel economy seemed to vary with each tank of gas. When I started out it had 750mi on it and I changed the oil at about 550mi. I usually maintained between 75-85MPH. All fill-ups were 93 octane, the first tank I averaged 23.5 MPG, the second about 24.5 MPG but the third tank yielded 28.5 MPG, and the final tank was about 26 MPG. The terrain was different so there should be some difference but the 3rd and 4th tanks were through Georgia and Florida on basically flat terrain. Has anyone else noticed this. Also I noticed that the a/c remains on even if the a/c light is not on but the recirculate light is on. Is this correct or is it malfunctioning?
the recirculate button will always activate the AC I do beleive..just like the defrost button will in order to dry out the air you bringing into the vehicle..at least that it is how it works on my Malibu Maxx.....

·
Registered
753 Posts
easy. look at a globe of the earth. you were traveling south which is Down the globe so you were going downhill. on the return trip you were traveling north which is Up the globe, and your motor had to work harder to get uphill.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My first tank was arounf 24.5, now after 800 miles I am approaching 28 and still improving. This is a mix of about 2/3rds hwy 1/3 city. Seems GM may have been a little conservative with their MPG estimates. Fine with me!

·
Registered
135 Posts
cdb said:
easy. look at a globe of the earth. you were traveling south which is Down the globe so you were going downhill. on the return trip you were traveling north which is Up the globe, and your motor had to work harder to get uphill.
:glol: You get an "A+" in physics or something.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
solucky said:
I traveled to the east coast and back from Iowa. 3200 mi. Average mpg was 25. Got 26.4 highest. Speed avg. 70 mph.

·
Registered
120 Posts
gas mileage

how about traveling from north to south you are going from a fall/winter blend of gas to a summer blend. You always get better mileage during warm weather. makes sense.

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
MSG_McKee said:
:agree: The car I use for long trips is a 1997 Nissan Altima and it would get about 30 mpg back in 1998. However, I avg 34 mpg now and on my last trip I actually got 40 mpg (the best ever)... not bad for a 8+ YO car with over 160,000 miles :thumbs: The Nissan engine runs even better now than at 20,000 miles. ;)
My wife's Hyundai Santa Fe (another reason for me to get the Solstice :lol: ) has gotten progressively better mileage as well as it is driven. Her in town mileage is now consistently above 21 mpg which is just above what Hyundai says to expect. I've got 1400 miles from Texas to Arizona and back on my plate over the next four days, so I'll have a really good idea as to what highway mileage will be. ANYWAY, ..., I echo the Master Sargeant's assertion that modern engines can improve with mileage, which I intend to test when I get my Solstice! :)

--Chemist

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Use Brand Name Gas.......

What brand of gas were you using? Forum members, stay away from cheap, no name brands! Cheap mixtures can give you a rough ride over time. :yesnod:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts