Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Fuel economy ?

6K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  The_Ghost 
#1 ·
What are you folks seeing for fuel economy? Right now I'm seeing 21 -22 mpg (calculated) in my NA 06. Was expecting maybe a BIT better than that. I'm not one to drive with a lead foot. And the Del Sol I had was still getting 27 -28 and it had over 300k on the clock. Still less than 8k miles on this one.

#2 ·
I get 25.5mpg in my GXP, but I'm heavy footed at times....

#3 ·
I got around 21 in "mixed" driving - some that would be considered "city" and some that is "country". (07 N/A). Highway I got 27 last summer on the only real road trip we took. It would run as high as 30 if I stuck around 60-65 mph.

I put the high-flow cat back on it this spring. Last year I got 2 to 3 mpg more in "mixed" driving. Never tested on the highway.

#5 · (Edited)
I get 32 mpg highway, mixed driving I get 23/25, hard driving I get 18/23, 91gas, N/A 06' 121,616miles.

#7 ·
I'd say this really only relates to the NA but before adding the turbo and tune I averaged around 19mpg due to mostly city driving and get 25mpg now on the same route. I attribute part of it to the tune as well as not needing to rev the motor as high to get the power I need for daily activities. With both I still get 31-34ish on road trips.

I'd say the Del-Sol wins due to power to weight. 3-500lbs with possibly a more efficient motor as well. This is a fairly heavy vehicle. The dSol probably has the aerodynamic edge as well (would be hard not to) but that shouldn't affect it too-too much.

#10 ·
Gas mileage

I have always got good gas mileage on my "Solstice's". I used to get 28 to 32 on my 2.4 2006. Now I get 32 to 38 on my 2.0 2008 GXP. These are 55 to 60 mph speeds on Ohio roads. Admittedly when I drive freeway speeds and "don't behave myself", the mpg drops 2 to 3mpg less. We have a Kappa club here and we travel a lot together and no one else has ever gotten as good mileage as I have on both of my Solstice's. Most of my friends get 26 to 28 most of the time. I have played with the mileage doing all of the correct things to do, including going down hills with the clutch depressed and have got up to 40 momentarily.

#11 ·
So it sounds like mine is unusually low. Anything simple I should check?

#12 ·
Keep in mind the GXPs are smaller displacement motors that may also be more efficient (I haven't done any in-depth research into them specifically but they'll usually average 25mpg in similar threads) - that's why I mentioned that this threads really only relates to the NA motor.

19mpg is what I averaged on the LE5 before a tune. A clean air filter and properly-inflated tires are your best bets to check.

#13 ·
Hey guys its Jackie! Keep in mind that there are several factors that can make gas MPG vary slightly such as cold weather, towing, excessive weight in your trunk, unpaved or bumpy roads, hilly or mountainous terrain, stop and go traffic and driving at higher speeds (increased aerodynamic drag) aka wind resistance. I'm sure many of you may already know these factors but I'm just reminding you! Happy driving!

Jackie, GM Customer Care

#16 ·
Since acquiring the GXP Coupe coming up on 4 years ago, I've averaged 28mpg.
Lowest ever was 21.7 and the highest was 35.8.
Pretty pleased that with all the hills, twisties and both in town and road trips, that the average is 28.05 over 16,000 miles!!!

#29 ·
Really? I know its on the internet so it must be true, but really? Do you always drive downhill? Always on open road at 50mph? Never stop n go?Worst tank was 29mpg in 58K miles? How do you calculate this or do you have a restrictor plate on it?

Dont get me wrong, I can get 29-30 but not every tank.

#21 ·
Seems like I'm having some poor mpg on my 06 NA. Between 21 and 25. Tires are all aired up and it has a fresh air filter. But looking on line, the EPA rated the NA at a combined 21 mpg. So do I have an issue, or is this about normal for an NA? Given the fact I don't exactly have a lead foot, is there anything I need to look at?

#24 ·
Is your driving primarily highway or around town? If it's highway then i'd say that's really low but if it's mixed or around town i'd say that's spot-on... given every other NA report in this thread.

I get around 22 mixed in my 06, if I'm real easy I'll see 26, I'm curious to see what it gets with the turbo...

I got around 21 in "mixed" driving - some that would be considered "city" and some that is "country". (07 N/A). Highway I got 27 last summer on the only real road trip we took.
I averaged around 19mpg due to mostly city driving
If I reset the DIC on the highway I'd see high 20s| 30mpg

Every other post in this thread is from a GXP owner with a smaller displacement.

#23 ·
My Sky Redline with GMPP tune:

I primarily city drive and I do so like an a-hole with my foot in the turbo constantly. My average MPG runs about 25.

Best average gas mileage I turned on a long out of state drive was 34 MPG, but usually runs about 32 MPG.

Interesting factoids:

In perfect conditions, no wind and level terrain:

1. At 100 MPH with the cruise control set, the car gets 27 MPG on the instantaneous MPG.

2. At 90 MPH with the cruise control set, the car gets 29 MPG on the instantaneous MPG.

3. At 60 MPH with the cruise control set, the car gets 45-50 MPG on the instantaneous MPG.

4. During a Full Turbo Burn at WOT from a stoplight in 1st gear, the car gets 3 MPG on the instantaneous MPG. :willy:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

#26 ·
More around 25 since the second speeding ticket.
LMAO!

Our 2007 GXP auto averaged 27 MPG, wifee drove most of those miles, she has a very heavy size 6 foot.
Our 2009 GXP auto averaged 28 MPG on the trip from SC to WI last year, average speed for the 1,200 mile trip was 63 MPH.
I think it will do better when it hits the 10,000 mile mark.

#27 ·
We only have 6k miles on our '08 N/A, we get usually around 21 mixed.

#30 ·
pimp - you always drive from the top of the map to the bottom, hence you're always going down hill. With GPS and smartphones you can change your beacon so you're going downhill no matter what direction you're headed.

Yeesh - don't you keep up on technology?

:lol:

#31 ·
I average in the 19-21mpg range around town. Mixed driving gets me all the way up to 23mpg. The best I've gotten on a long trip was around 34mpg; at 55mph.

Also hurts that lately the 'spread' between regular and premium gas is now up to sixty cents. I filled up on Monday and total was $49.50. I could have squeezed another fifty cents in but hitting the big 5-0 would have been even more depressing. :cryin:

BTW: 07' gxp

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.