Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an odd one for you guys. Ever since I got my car back after the accident I've had a CEL for bank 1 lean, Evap flow when not commanded, and excessive evap flow. Also I would get the "check fuel cap" message periodically. It also showed an increase of over 2mpg. Yesterday when I topped up my fuel tank the fuel splashed back all over me and the car which forced me to look closely at the filler tube and I noticed the little flapper at the top of the tube is completely missing. I can only assume this was dislodged during the accident. So now the big question, How in the heck do I fix it? I'm sure that I can figure out how to replace the filler neck and have a flapper again but where oh where did the original part go? Should I pull the fuel pump and go fishing? Is the tank baffled so that I'll never retrieve the pieces? Is there any kind of trap in the filler that could have caught the parts? Should I not even worry about it? Totally wandering around in the dark on this, I've never even heard of this before. Any help is most appreciated! Thank you.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Mine is missing as well with no issues. I never actually gave it a thought.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife's 2011 Malibu doesnt have a flapper either! I thought that I had caught the smoking gun for my CEL issue but apparently not. I thought the flapper was a manditory device but apparently not. Oh well, the hunt continues!

·
Registered
2008 basic soft top
5 Posts
Here's an odd one for you guys. Ever since I got my car back after the accident I've had a CEL for bank 1 lean, Evap flow when not commanded, and excessive evap flow. Also I would get the "check fuel cap" message periodically. It also showed an increase of over 2mpg. Yesterday when I topped up my fuel tank the fuel splashed back all over me and the car which forced me to look closely at the filler tube and I noticed the little flapper at the top of the tube is completely missing. I can only assume this was dislodged during the accident. So now the big question, How in the heck do I fix it? I'm sure that I can figure out how to replace the filler neck and have a flapper again but where oh where did the original part go? Should I pull the fuel pump and go fishing? Is the tank baffled so that I'll never retrieve the pieces? Is there any kind of trap in the filler that could have caught the parts? Should I not even worry about it? Totally wandering around in the dark on this, I've never even heard of this before. Any help is most appreciated! Thank you.
hi
i'm new here but have a similar problem. the filler flap, spring and pin that hold them in place have disappeared. down inside the filler tube. i have no problem with the car running and mileage has not changed. it takes a very long time to put gas in the tank. the automatic gas pump keeps shutting off after 25 to 50 cents of gas goes in. i think the flap is stuck in the filler tube and causing the back pressure that shuts off the pump. how do i get at the filler tube? i thought about a magnet on a rod of some kind , but the flap , i think, is bigger than the hole here you stick the pump nozzel. can the filler tube be accessed through the trunk. any help would be great. i have a 2008 basic convertable.
thanks
ron

·
Registered
2008 basic soft top
5 Posts
hi
i'm new here but have a similar problem. the filler flap, spring and pin that hold them in place have disappeared. down inside the filler tube. i have no problem with the car running and mileage has not changed. it takes a very long time to put gas in the tank. the automatic gas pump keeps shutting off after 25 to 50 cents of gas goes in. i think the flap is stuck in the filler tube and causing the back pressure that shuts off the pump. how do i get at the filler tube? i thought about a magnet on a rod of some kind , but the flap , i think, is bigger than the hole here you stick the pump nozzel. can the filler tube be accessed through the trunk. any help would be great. i have a 2008 basic convertable.
thanks
ron
i was not involved in an accident. it just disappeared. my mechanic thinks that you have to drop the entire rear end out of the car. !!!!! maybe he just didn't want to bother... thanks ron

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
chances are it will simply sit on the tank bottom and will not block the fuel pickup, so don't worry about it until there is a problem (which i doubt there will be...)

Bill

·
Super Moderator
7,524 Posts
hi
thanks
ron
Welcome to the forum.

Removing the fuel tank does require that either the rear axle be removed or the top of the "Mayan Temple" in the trunk be cut off, but you may not have to go that far.

There is a "flapper door" at the bottom of the fuel filler hose, so if the flap at the filler opening has broken off it is probably blocking that, and you will just have to remove the filler hose.

The procedure for removing the filler hose assembly includes removing the rear wheelhouse liner, the trunk liner, and the fuel pump access cover. It does not include removing the tank. I have not done this myself, but the procedure looks fairly simple.

·
Registered
2008 basic soft top
5 Posts
thanks for the reply.i'll print it out and see if my mechanic will give it another look
ron lamb

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Interesting that this came up and reading John's input that there is a secondary flapper. There are a smattering of reports for slow fuel filling and many times it's related to the evap canister not working correctly. I wonder how many times it may have been the "loss of a flapper"?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
i don't dispute John but i don't understand the purpose of a secondary flapper, not even sure i understand the primary one except to somehow mitigate splashback, which the pump nozzle filling the hole should do. the over filling and flooding the evap canister i can kinda sorta understand causing 'other' problems, although that should be secondary to the filling process.

i had a in-tank fuel pump fail in my 2.4 coupe and it was a simple matter to access the top of the tank. once the pump is removed you can see right down into the tank, but i don't think the flapper being in the tank will interfere with anything

Bill

·
Registered
2008 basic soft top
5 Posts
i don't dispute John but i don't understand the purpose of a secondary flapper, not even sure i understand the primary one except to somehow mitigate splashback, which the pump nozzle filling the hole should do. the over filling and flooding the evap canister i can kinda sorta understand causing 'other' problems, although that should be secondary to the filling process.

i had a in-tank fuel pump fail in my 2.4 coupe and it was a simple matter to access the top of the tank. once the pump is removed you can see right down into the tank, but i don't think the flapper being in the tank will interfere with anything

Bill
hi again
i'm no mechanic but i think that the flap at the fill opening was an add on to make the fill tube smaller when this country switched to unleaded gas. it was to prevent putting the larger diameter REGULAR pump nozel in the tank. I THINK
ron lamb

·
Registered
2008 basic soft top
5 Posts
hi again
i'm no mechanic but i think that the flap at the fill opening was an add on to make the fill tube smaller when this country switched to unleaded gas. it was to prevent putting the larger diameter REGULAR pump nozel in the tank. I THINK
ron lamb
not needed for that now but it will keep you from using the diesel pump by mistake
ron lamb

·
Super Moderator
7,524 Posts

Bill
As I said, I have not taken one apart, but this is the illustration in the service manual. This is from the 2.4 section, but the 2.0 is the same. You can tell me if I am reading this wrong.
08-09-497 Remove Fuel Tank.jpg
The purpose of the flappers is to keep fuel from surging up the filler hose during cornering and interfering with the tank vent.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
As I said, I have not taken one apart, but this is the illustration in the service manual. This is from the 2.4 section, but the 2.0 is the same. You can tell me if I am reading this wrong.
View attachment 108315
The purpose of the flappers is to keep fuel from surging up the filler hose during cornering and interfering with the tank vent.
John
it's hard to tell from that diagram whether there are actually 2 flappers (and the picture doesn't look so much as like a flapper but a 'check valve' of sorts) as it doesn't show the visible one we can see at the top ; but it is possible your are correct. if that is a 'valve' of sorts, the upper flapper could get stuck there; depending how large the opening is that bypasses the valve.
Bill

·
Super Moderator
7,524 Posts
hi again
ron lamb
The filler neck restrictor, which is the plate that has the hole in it and that the flapper is attached to, was indeed added to prevent the larger leaded-fuel pump nozzle from fitting into a car that required unleaded fuel. The flapper valve itself has a separate function however.

John
it's hard to tell from that diagram whether there are actually 2 flappers (and the picture doesn't look so much as like a flapper but a 'check valve' of sorts) as it doesn't show the visible one we can see at the top ; but it is possible your are correct. if that is a 'valve' of sorts, the upper flapper could get stuck there; depending how large the opening is that bypasses the valve.
Bill
I wasn't so much concerned about wheter there were two as I was that there is one at the bottom of the tube, as that diagram clearly shows.

I did some more research (thank you Google) and found a couple of references to a check valve at the bottom of the filler tube that is supposed to be a universally required component that is installed to keep the fuel in the tank in the event of a rollover or impact that damages or removes the filler tube.

I hadn't paid attention until last night when I put fuel in it, but the flapper is missing from my '08, while my '07 still has one. I need to get a borescope to see what is down there.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The filler neck restrictor, which is the plate that has the hole in it and that the flapper is attached to, was indeed added to prevent the larger leaded-fuel pump nozzle from fitting into a car that required unleaded fuel. The flapper valve itself has a separate function however.

I wasn't so much concerned about wheter there were two as I was that there is one at the bottom of the tube, as that diagram clearly shows.

I did some more research (thank you Google) and found a couple of references to a check valve at the bottom of the filler tube that is supposed to be a universally required component that is installed to keep the fuel in the tank in the event of a rollover or impact that damages or removes the filler tube.

I hadn't paid attention until last night when I put fuel in it, but the flapper is missing from my '08, while my '07 still has one. I need to get a borescope to see what is down there.
(y)
Bill

·
Super Moderator
7,524 Posts
I scoped my '07 today. I had hoped to be able to post a picture, but the camera wasn't cooperating, so i will try again tonight when I scope the '08.

There is a valve at the bottom of the filler tube that would catch the flapper from the filler neck, and if that flapper lands flat across the opening it would definitely block fuel from flowing into the tank.

·
Super Moderator
7,524 Posts
The scope is still not willing to save a picture, so i took a picture of the screen. Not real clear, but clear enough, maybe.
IMG_20200612_185804476_MP.jpg
To me it looks the way i would expect the top of a check valve to look.

One oddity is that my '08 does not have a flapper at the neck, but it also isn't in the bottom. It either never had one, or the previous owner had it removed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts