Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my gas gauge gets to the last quarter it sometimes registers empty when I start up the GXP. It also throws up the warning signal even though there is still a quarter of a tank still available. I can usually turn the car off and then restart it to get it to reset properly. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they did about it? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If you start the car on a hill or incline it'll chime and throw the light.

Norm

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
A few years ago, our local fuel supply had an additive that corroded the contacts on the fuel sensors in GM vehicles.

Before replacing the sensors, dealers would add an exagerated proportion of fuel line cleaner. It worked well enough as long as you didn't go put the fuel from the same supply in again.

My gauge floats around a fair bit. I don't generally have less than a quarter tank, so it's not an issue for me.

Parking on an incline could surely be your issue.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I think this is a long standing GM problem. Every Firebird and Camaro I've had had similar problems. And the sensor was broken in my IROC- the gauge appeared to work fine, until I ran out of gas while the needle read 3/8 of a tank.

If you seem to be getting unreasonably good gas mileage- stop and fill up

·
Registered
30 Posts
just got my '07 Solstice last week, and took it for a nice long drive last saturday. Fuel was reading 1/4 full, and about 55 miles to empty. I parked it for a few minutes on a bit of an incline (facing downhill), and when I got back in and started it, low fuel warning came on and gauge read empty. After shutting it off and restarting it on level groud, it resolved itself. I had a feeling at the time it was due to the incline.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah I'm having the same problem. Even when full mine won't show over 2/3rd of a tank and will show low fuel on 1/3 of a tank. It's really annoying.

·
5,641 Posts
Craig Lewis said:
A few years ago, our local fuel supply had an additive that corroded the contacts on the fuel sensors in GM vehicles.

Before replacing the sensors, dealers would add an exagerated proportion of fuel line cleaner. It worked well enough as long as you didn't go put the fuel from the same supply in again.

Subject: GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, Fuel Sending Unit Corrosion and Fuel System Deposits

Models: 2008 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)

Important : The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is not recommended for use with diesel fuel. The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is specially formulated for use in gasoline and/or E85 fuels.

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS
GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, P/N 88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco®, use 88861013) (in Canada, 88861012), is now available for use in gasoline engines.

Added Benefits and Uses
The PLUS portion of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is the addition of a filmer additive that, when used regularly, can protect fuel system sending units from the corrosive effects of certain sulfur contaminants found in some of today's gasoline.

Sulfur contamination can disrupt electrical continuity of certain fuel sending units and lead to erratic or false fuel gauge readings. With scheduled usage, GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS protects against the effects of harmful sulfurs in gasoline.

The Four Benefits
Just pour in one bottle of the GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS into the fuel tank when refueling around each oil change interval:

• Cleans -- Sulfur corrosion from fuel gauge sending units.

• Prevents -- Harmful sulfur components from attacking sensitive fuel system electronics.

• Protects -- By coating metallic surfaces of the fuel system.

• Removes -- Engine deposits left from use of poor quality fuels.

·
5,641 Posts
For the 2006 and 2007 models some inprovments can be had with software updates. Will probably cost one near an hour of dealership's time, so each owner can make the choice of if it is worth it.

Subject: Fuel Gauge Fluctuates On Acceleration or Sharp Turns, Low Fuel Light Illuminated (Reprogram I/P and ECM)

Models: 2006-2007 Pontiac Solstice
2007 Saturn Sky
2007 Daewoo G2X

Condition
Some customers may comment on fuel gauge fluctuation on acceleration or sharp turns when their fuel gauge is at or below 1/4 tank level or above 3/4 level. The needle may fluctuate between 1/8 and empty and eventually turn the low fuel light on. The needle will return to proper level after a few seconds.

Correction
DO NOT replace the fuel tank module or the fuel level sensor.

Technicians are to reprogram the I/P and ECM simultaneously using Sequential Programming.

A revised calibration has been developed to address this issue. Reprogram the I/P and ECU with an updated software calibration using the Service Programming System (SPS). This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB. As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version.

These calibrations will be available as an ECM/IPC programming sequence event.

Important: Technicians have to select ECM/IPC Sequential Programming in the Supported Controllers Screen

·
5,641 Posts
Early 2008 GXPs also can take care of a fuel gauge issue with a program update.

Subject: Erratic Fuel Gauge, Rough Idle, Black Smoke from Exhaust, DTC P2610 or P0341 Set (Reprogram Engine Control Module [ECM])

Models: 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2008 Saturn SKY Redline
2008 Opel GT
2008 Daewoo G2X
with 2.0L Engine (VIN X -- RPO LNF)
Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint 8Y106569

Condition
Some customers may comment on one or more of the following conditions:

• Check engine light illuminated with DTC P2610 set. Diagnostics will lead to the replacement of the ECM. This code may set falsely. DO NOT replace the ECM for this condition. Perform diagnostics per SI and if no other concern for the condition can be located, reprogram the ECM. Do NOT replace the ECM.

• Check engine light illuminated with DTC P0341 set. Diagnostics will lead to the replacement of the camshaft position sensor. This code may set falsely. DO NOT replace the camshaft position sensor for this condition. Perform diagnostics per SI and if no other concern for the condition can be located, reprogram the ECM. Do NOT replace the camshaft position sensor.

• Rough idle with black smoke coming from the exhaust on a hot restart.

• Fuel gauge reading is different when vehicle is not moving (0 km/h [0 mph]) compared to when vehicle is moving (km/h [mph] greater than zero).

Correction
A revised engine calibration has been developed to address these issues. Reprogram the ECM with an updated software calibration. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB using the Service Programming System (SPS). As always, make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks SD!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
So there is no float on the Kappa? Is it all electrical?

Norm

·
5,641 Posts
NormSky said:
So there is no float on the Kappa? Is it all electrical?
Still a float providing information through an electical sensor in the fuel pump unit.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Though if you have a tune then the above could not be performed.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah I was thinking the same thing LV. Although I wonder if people like Chris at Vector take that into account when upgrading tunes.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
when was the 08 ECM correction available? i took mine in for this problem around feb 09 and they said they upgraded teh software but i never noticed a difference. it still fluctuates 1/8th of a tank either way throughout the tank.

·
5,641 Posts
jeffgtx said:
when was the 08 ECM correction available?
The information I posted has a June 19, 2009 date. Although it may have been released before that.

·
Registered
369 Posts
SD, did you see my post over here?
Heard of anything like that before?

Hmmm the link is acting weird so I'll just paste it.
[pre]http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/shifter-issue-park-62845/[/pre]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts