Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed in the top and bottom 1/4 of a tank occasionally the needle will "fall" to the max or min position and just sit there for a while before returning to the correct reading. I'm guessing something along the lines of the motor in the cluster stops getting signal and gravity pulls the needle to either the max or the min position. When signal comes back the needle corrects itself. I dont think its the actual sending unit in the tank because when the needle falls to min the low fuel light does Not come on. I'm not sure how often or for how long the gauge does this, its just too darn small for me to see peripherally. Any help you guys can provide to help troubleshoot the problem would be greatly appreciated. Several people I've mentioned this to, including GM techs, just looked at me like I was crazy.

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Our tech told us that the GM sending unit is susceptible to problems as a result of the current fuel blends. As a result, he recommended we use a fuel treatment annually to prevent the problem. There is a thread on this issue from 07 or 08 discussing the problem. It applies to all GM cars. Have you ever used the additives?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Our tech told us that the GM sending unit is susceptible to problems as a result of the current fuel blends. As a result, he recommended we use a fuel treatment annually to prevent the problem. There is a thread on this issue from 07 or 08 discussing the problem. It applies to all GM cars. Have you ever used the additives?
Could you please elaborate on "the additives". What additives? For what purpose? Specifically to resolve fuel gauge sender problems?

Call me lazy, but I'm not sure if I did a search here on "additives" if I would find what you are specifically referring to.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recently purchased this car, I have no clue about history of fuel or additive use.

If I start using the treatment now will it cure the problem or does the sender need to be replaced?

I use non-ethanol gas in my other cars as much as possible, should I run that in the Sol too or are we talking about the other additives that most fuel companies neglect to mention?

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Here you go

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/fuel-gauge-glitchy-62640/

Post from Small Dealer from 2010

Subject: GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, Fuel Sending Unit Corrosion and Fuel System Deposits

Models: 2008 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)

Important : The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is not recommended for use with diesel fuel. The GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is specially formulated for use in gasoline and/or E85 fuels.

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS
GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS, P/N 88861011 (for U.S. ACDelco®, use 88861013) (in Canada, 88861012), is now available for use in gasoline engines.

Added Benefits and Uses
The PLUS portion of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS is the addition of a filmer additive that, when used regularly, can protect fuel system sending units from the corrosive effects of certain sulfur contaminants found in some of today's gasoline.
Sulfur contamination can disrupt electrical continuity of certain fuel sending units and lead to erratic or false fuel gauge readings. With scheduled usage, GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS protects against the effects of harmful sulfurs in gasoline.

The Four Benefits
Just pour in one bottle of the GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS into the fuel tank when refueling around each oil change interval:

• Cleans -- Sulfur corrosion from fuel gauge sending units.

• Prevents -- Harmful sulfur components from attacking sensitive fuel system electronics.

• Protects -- By coating metallic surfaces of the fuel system.

• Removes -- Engine deposits left from use of poor quality fuels.

http://www.acdelco.com/parts/vehicle-maintenance/additives/fuel-system-treatment-plus/

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you sir, I'll be using that religiously from now on.

The dealer I purchased it from will be replacing the sending unit under the purchase warranty, hopefully the combo will cure the issue.

·
Registered
702 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
:thumbs:Woo Hoo...:thumbs:
O'Reilly's has a BOGO on the Chevron additive, both sizes :thumbs:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gas Gauge

Hi, My gas gauge stopped working properly after hitting a pothole in the road.
When I fill the tank it only reaches 1/2 full. After driving about 100 miles the gauge drops to empty. Did something happen to my gauge? Everything else works good.
Thanks for any info you can give.

Jimmy

·
Registered
36 Posts
:thumbs:Woo Hoo...:thumbs:
O'Reilly's has a BOGO on the Chevron additive, both sizes :thumbs:
Will the Chevron Techtron stuff be an alternative? My "new" 06 acted weird after parking at my daughters house. The road had a slight downward slope so the nose of the car was lower than the tank. I got in after visiting and the gauge was empty then the light came on. I should of had about 1/4 tank. After about a couple of miles the gauge SLLOOWWLLYY went back to normal.

From this thread it could be a cleaning is all that's required??

Edit: Saw the link on Post #5 - yup that is what mine is doing. Now with Pontiac gone would a Chevy dealer know enough to get the right program to 'fix" it?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,471 Posts
A couple of years ago I tried the Chevron Techron routine on a couple of tanks of fresh fuel in my wife's Aztek when the fuel gage quit working reliably. There was no change in the way the gage worked or didn't work due to the Techron.

This car was 14 years old at the time, I had a couple of expensive estimates to "repair" the gage, and we just decided to live with it not working correctly and to refill the tank once a week.

So, Techron may work for you, it may not. Try it for a couple of tankfulls, and if it improves the way the gage works, it's an inexpensive fix. If it doesn't do anything, you are not out too many bucks.

:dunno:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks guys.
I used it in my other vehicles every once in a while as maintenance. Couple of ethanol free tanks and some cleaner and see what happens! ;-)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts