Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the owners manual for the solstice states it prefers a premium grade of gas...but will run on regular octane gasoline.....if this is the case....what will you put in your new solstice.....premium, plus, regular?

·
Registered
263 Posts
If this is how the owners manual reads you should run Premium gas all the time. Running lower octane will reduce performance of the engine and change the timing via the computer. You should only run regular when you cannot get Premium at the time of full-up. You will not hurt the engine running regular, but performance will be effected. Again, this is only if the manual reads Premium fuel recommended.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Delnari said:
If this is how the owners manual reads you should run Premium gas all the time. Running lower octane will reduce performance of the engine and change the timing via the computer. You should only run regular when you cannot get Premium at the time of full-up. You will not hurt the engine running regular, but performance will be effected. Again, this is only if the manual reads Premium fuel recommended.
can someone confirm how the owners manual addresses recommended fuel grade?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Here is a scan of the owner's manual page that addresses the fuel requirements, which was originally posted by hyzer.

It recommends 91 octane or higher. I myself will probably search around for stations that have 91 octane as their midgrade gas. I don't feel a need to go to 93 if the manual says 91.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
swatthefly said:
looks like im going to be using 93
Actually using more than the recommeded 91 octane does nothing for performance and can actually lower fuel mileage. Better to run the recommended octane unless you change the ignition and valve timing through addons.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Delnari said:
Well, if I try to run this car year 'round in Chicagoland, I may very well welcome a reduction in the power output, especially with a stick. The cost reduction would be a bonus.

But watch out, come spring!

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Top Tier Gasoline

just an interesting side here:

"TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is a recently established new standard for gasoline performance. Four of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, and Toyota recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance. "

http://www.toptiergas.com/

so how many are using these retailers now?

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

QuikTrip
Chevron
Conoco
Phillips
Shell
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company

I notice Exxon/Mobil is NOT part of this list nor is Amoco/BP

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Premium

Used to paying for premium, can save the difference by walking to work and driving on the weekends. :cool:

·
Registered
254 Posts
PAO said:
I understand the owners manual for the solstice states it prefers a premium grade of gas...but will run on regular octane gasoline.....if this is the case....what will you put in your new solstice.....premium, plus, regular?
Here in Minnesota (and probably elsewhere) some stations sell "E85" which is 85% ethanol and sells for about $1.85 per gallon, which is at least 0.30 cents less per gallon than the 87 octane gasoline. :yesnod: Auto manufacturers are supposed to have started putting stickers on the driver's side door jam indicating whether or not E85 is OK to use. Does anyone know if the Solstice can use this?

Both my 1997 Z28 and 1979 Triumph Spitfire "need" 91 octane or better and that is now selling for about $2.30 per gallon (and rising) here. :(

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RWSimmons said:
Here in Minnesota (and probably elsewhere) some stations sell "E85" which is 85% ethanol and sells for about $1.85 per gallon, which is at least 0.30 cents less per gallon than the 87 octane gasoline. :yesnod: Auto manufacturers are supposed to have started putting stickers on the driver's side door jam indicating whether or not E85 is OK to use. Does anyone know if the Solstice can use this?

Both my 1997 Z28 and 1979 Triumph Spitfire "need" 91 octane or better and that is now selling for about $2.30 per gallon (and rising) here. :(
my quess is probably not......

wishing I had the gas price now....91 oct here in Northern Va is almost 2.60 a gallon now.....west coast is probably close to $3 Im guessing now as well

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Well, you could split the difference and get 89 octane. ;)

Of course with gas being so expensive, Premium fuel is actually cheaper than it used to be. It is normally 20 cents more than Regular. Soooo....

When gas was $0.90, that extra 20 cents was a big jump.
* 13 Gallons: R=$11.70 / P=$14.30. An increase of 22%.
When gas was $1.20, that extra 20 cents got you this.
* 13 Gallons: R=$15.60 / P=$18.20. An increase of 17%.
Now with gas at around $2.20 you get this.
* 13 Gallons: R=$28.60 / P=$31.20. An increase of 9%.

As you can see, it's not as big an increase in overall price as it used to be. In this example Premium fuel will always cost you an extra $2.30 per tank. Don't Supersize your fast food and you could save more than that amount in two weeks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
PAO said:
my quess is probably not......

wishing I had the gas price now....91 oct here in Northern Va is almost 2.60 a gallon now.....west coast is probably close to $3 Im guessing now as well
Premium in the Richmond, VA area is around $2.40 a gallon, no $2.41, no $2.45, no $2.50, oh my God it's going up as I type!!!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I've done the numbers several times here and at the Sky Forums. If you drive the average 12k miles a year with a $0.20 cent difference between 87 and 91+ it's only $100 a year extra if you average 24 MPG.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Delnari said:
Actually using more than the recommeded 91 octane does nothing for performance and can actually lower fuel mileage. Better to run the recommended octane unless you change the ignition and valve timing through addons.
I'm guessing the car is designed for 91 and 93 octane. The manual does say 91 or higher also. The main reason I say this is a lot of areas across the country only have 93 octane. Here in Central Florida it's near impossible to find a station that sells 91 octane. I know one 7-11 that offers 5 octane levels, and that's the only one within 150 miles I know of.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
brentil said:
I'm guessing the car is designed for 91 and 93 octane. The manual does say 91 or higher also. The main reason I say this is a lot of areas across the country only have 93 octane. Here in Central Florida it's near impossible to find a station that sells 91 octane. I know one 7-11 that offers 5 octane levels, and that's the only one within 150 miles I know of.
That's funny you say that because I was trying to think if I had ever remembered seeing a 91 octane station. It's always 87/89/93. Drink up Solstice, it's the good stuff for you!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Fortimir said:
My Solstice will also be getting the good stuff.

And BP or Shell gas only.
I prefer shell myself, but each car likes its own brand of gas, so ill just have to see which the kappa likes best.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts