Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Solstice manual states that the fuel tank capacity is 13.8 gallons. I decided to conduct a test to determine the number of gallons actually available for use by the vehicle to maintain forward progress (or advancing to the rear for those so inclined).

I therefore drove the car until it died from starvation.

Now, before you report me to the SPCA or whatever group protects those of the Solstice species, let me say that MARiSOL was able to be resuscitated, and although it took over an hour, I do not believe she suffered any brain damage. However, I can not say the same for her companion! Actually, the incident proves he was ALREADY brain-dead.

So, anyway, yes, I ran out of gas on the way back to Houston from the High Noon In Texas Solstice Meet, which was GREAT, by the way. The details of the out-of-gas story is at this thread on Post 24 for those who have no life and like to read about idiots running out of gas:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=123725

And no, deluke, there is no video tonight on Channel 2 News concerning this incident! :)

So, back to the reason any of you might have stumbled on this moronic thread:

The available capacity of the fuel tank is 13.562, determined by putting .545 gallons in the tank, starting the engine, and driving a block to the gas station and filling up with 13.017 more gallons. Perhaps not accurate to the third decimal, but does anyone really care? :)

PS: Editguy, don't bother checking the spelling of "resuscitated," I already verified it! :) Did I screw up someplace else in this post?

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
gizmo2004 said:
The Solstice manual states that the fuel tank capacity is 13.8 gallons. I decided to conduct a test to determine the number of gallons actually available for use by the vehicle to maintain forward progress (or advancing to the rear for those so inclined).

Now, before you report me to the SPCA or whatever group protects those of the Solstice species, let me say that MARiSOL was able to be resuscitated, and although it took over an hour, I do not believe she suffered any brain damage. However, I can not say the same for her companion! Actually, the incident proves he was ALREADY brain-dead.

So, anyway, yes, I ran out of gas on the way back to Houston from the High Noon In Texas Solstice Meet, which was GREAT, by the way. The details of the out-of-gas story is at this thread on Post 24 for those who have no life and like to read about idiots running out of gas:

And no, deluke, there is no video tonight on Channel 2 News concerning this incident! :)

The usuable capacity of the fuel tank is 13.562, determined by putting .545 gallons in the tank, starting the engine, and driving a block to the gas station and filling up with 13.017 more gallons. Perhaps not accurate to the third decimal, but does anyone really care? :)

PS: Editguy, don't bother checking the spelling of "resuscitated," I already verified it! :) Did I screw up someplace else in this post?

There's an Accountant joke in this somewhere, I can smell it. ;)

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
stang said:
There's an Accountant joke in this somewhere, I can smell it. ;)
Is the stink really that bad? You can smell it all the way to Atlanta?

Well, when you find it, please let me know. I think the joke was on me!

Speaking of stink, going to and coming back from the High Noon In Texas meet today, I passed Madisonville on I-45, and whewwwww, what a stink both times. I don't know what they have there, smelled like ....

Any Texans know what goes on there?

EDIT NOTE: Someone else mentioned how you are going to hear things and SMELL things you never heard or smelled before, now that you're riding in a convertible with the top down.

By the way, 29 days now with MARiSOL, had the top up once, and then just for an hour!

POST EDIT NOTE: I thought the humor, although non-accounting humor, was quite good in my original post. Well, just MHO. What, me humble? I think not!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
gizmo2004 said:

The usuable capacity of the fuel tank is 13.562, determined by putting .545 gallons in the tank, starting the engine, and driving a block to the gas station and filling up with 13.017 more gallons. Perhaps not accurate to the third decimal, but does anyone really care? :)

Must be an accounting thing, checking to see if the number of gallons was accurate. :)

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
I cannot stop thinking of the Seinfield episode where Kramer drives Jerry's car, until it runs out of gas ... ;) :lol:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
MSG_McKee said:
I cannot stop thinking of the Seinfield episode where Kramer drives Jerry's car, until it runs out of gas ... ;) :lol:
You just made me think about that, your right. :lol:

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
MSG_McKee said:
I was sort of thinking the same thing I was thinking when I read this.

However, Kramer didn't accidentally run out of gas. He wanted to see how far he could go with the low fuel light on, trying to see how far he could go before he ran out, trying to get "just one more exit!"

It's funny that you mentioned that though, because that's exactly what I was thinking of on my 4th day with the car. If you didn't read about it already, here's my PSE entry for that day:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/d0ri_san/1255.html

·
5,600 Posts
Thanks for the experiment. OTOH, I thought is was undesireable to run a fuel-injected car completely empty. Not that it is catastrophic, but it is unhealthy for the injectors. Urban myth?

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jimbo said:
Thanks for the experiment. OTOH, I thought is was undesireable to run a fuel-injected car completely empty. Not that it is catastrophic, but it is unhealthy for the injectors. Urban myth?
ummm, jimbo, it was NOT an experiment. I was being sarcastic with myself and I hoped you would see the humor! :) I just screwed up and ran out of gas, that's all.

And dori-san, thanks for sharing that, it was interesting. And a very generous tip, I might add.

Back in 1973 or 1974 I had purchased a new Matador coupe in Miami. Gas crisis was critical at the time and there was no full tank provided. I left the dealership and drove 3 blocks to the nearest gas station, coasted to the pump out of gas!

·
Registered
928 Posts
its bad for the fuel pump. it needs the gasoline to keep it running cool so it doesn't burn out.

plus it will pick up all the crap at the bottom of the tank and can clog the pump. Since there is no crap in a brand new tank( i hope, maybe there is .3 of a gallon of junk in there!) Then it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

I know there is so much debate over regular and premium. I am glad we found someone who has decided to forgo the gas altogether!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
silversolstice said:
its bad for the fuel pump. it needs the gasoline to keep it running cool so it doesn't burn out.

plus it will pick up all the crap at the bottom of the tank and can clog the pump. Since there is no crap in a brand new tank( i hope, maybe there is .3 of a gallon of junk in there!) Then it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

I know there is so much debate over regular and premium. I am glad we found someone who has decided to forgo the gas altogether!
Yes the fuel pump could burn out if left on with no fuel for long enough, but the trash getting in is not that much of a problem because it has a sock like apendage on the fuel pick up to stop large particles, and then the fuel filter will catch the smaller stuff...
Now on the fuel injectors, Early (mid 80's and early 90's)Fords had that problem of when you ran out of gas it would ruin the injectors, GM as far as I know has never had that problem.( I did run out one time and had no problems)

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So what is the proper technique for starting the engine after you've run out of gas?

I put about half a gallon in, tried to start, just wouldn't kick in. I tried without pumping, then tried pumping with ignition on, then tried pumping with ignition off.

I tried again half an hour later, and it started up on the third try.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
gizmo2004 said:
So what is the proper technique for starting the engine after you've run out of gas?

I put about half a gallon in, tried to start, just wouldn't kick in. I tried without pumping, then tried pumping with ignition on, then tried pumping with ignition off.

I tried again half an hour later, and it started up on the third try.

just turn on the ignition without engaging the starter and wait for the fuel to get up to the fuel rail, pumping the gas won;t help, then i would say about 20 or 30 seconds and then just start normally

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SkyMan 07 said:
just turn on the ignition without engaging the starter and wait for the fuel to get up to the fuel rail, pumping the gas won;t help, then i would say about 20 or 30 seconds and then just start normally
Thanks, I hope I never have another opportunity to try that out. But if I do, I'll have SkyMan 07 to thank for the solution. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
gizmo2004 said:
Thanks, I hope I never have another opportunity to try that out. But if I do, I'll have SkyMan 07 to thank for the solution. Thanks a bunch.

well it works for me, if you listen real close you can tell when it has the fuel line pressurized because the fuel pump will get quiet...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Almost out of gas

I ran mine until it was just below the 1/8 th mark. When I filled it it took 12.045 Gal. Most cars give you a warning light when you have about 2 gallons left. I guess the Solstice doesn't do that, so be careful, especially since it's hard to often see the fuel guage. :(

·
Registered
203 Posts
It does have a light ( and I think a bell )

I was there when the truck arrived with my SOL. and the light was on, NO gas...
It had 66 miles on the ODO, and no gas.
The dealer did fill it up with premium....

I gave hiim the check, got the inspection sticker, and was out in 30 minutes. From car carrier to me in 30 minutes...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Tank capacity

OK, so we have a little ADD going on here (uhmm, me) but I put 14.1 gals in last week and 13.898 miles this morning just 3 minutes after the light came on.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Karyl said:
OK, so we have a little ADD going on here (uhmm, me) but I put 14.1 gals in last week and 13.898 miles this morning just 3 minutes after the light came on.
Owner's Manual, Page 5-82, Fuel Tank Capacity is 13.8 gallons.

Were both tank fills done at the same station? If so, they are RIPPING YOU AND EVERYBODY ELSE OFF. Their meter is set to register more gallons than it is pumping, making them some BIG extra profit! They should be reported immediately.

·
Premium Member
9,964 Posts
From the web:
For example, some manufacturers estimate that actual fuel tank capacity can vary as much as 3 percent from the tank capacity rating because of design characteristics, the manufacturing process, and even the physics associated with the components that monitor emissions and the electronics of the fuel system and fuel indicators.

NIST notes that it is important to consider which parts of a vehicle's fuel tank are used to determine its capacity rating and what happens to these components when operating and fueling a vehicle. A small area at the bottom of a full tank is considered unusable because the fuel pump cannot reach that level to draw fuel. In addition, the tank's rated capacity does not include the “vapor head space,” the uppermost portion of the tank compartment, nor does it include the volume of the filler pipe where fuel enters the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts