Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
For those too lazy to follow links the Solstice 'recommends' 91 octane or better. Which means more then likely you can run 87/89 octane at a performance hit, and a greater chance of knock. I'll leave the speel out of this, but it's a FACT that if you drive 12k miles a year it ONLY costs you an extra $100 a year to run 91 octane over 87. Please don't be cheap and abuse your Solstice.

The most recent Fuel Economy values we've seen are 20 MPG City and 28 MPG Highway.

Unless some amasing discussion pops up in this thread soon about Fuel/MPG/Octane performance/price I'm going to close this thread.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
fieroed88 said:
i don't know what other people said, but when i was driving it i got 30MPG in town on reg
We're going off of what is on the Pontiac.com website. 20/28 MPG. More would be better of course. :D

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
If you shift like an old lady. Try it! I have. See if you can challenge yourself NOT to go over 3000 rpms for a whole tank. Shift at 2500 and save the 3000 for when you gotta use the highway. That's how I usually drive anyway, except for when I'm in a hurry or feel like having a little fun. But give it a shot... you'll see yourself getting anywhere from 50-100 extra miles on that tank that you didn't know was possible.

·
Registered
905 Posts
dori-san said:
If you shift like an old lady. Try it! I have. See if you can challenge yourself NOT to go over 3000 rpms for a whole tank. Shift at 2500 and save the 3000 for when you gotta use the highway. That's how I usually drive anyway, except for when I'm in a hurry or feel like having a little fun. But give it a shot... you'll see yourself getting anywhere from 50-100 extra miles on that tank that you didn't know was possible.
I can't stand my Sunfire's engine noise after 2500-2600rpm so I always shift at that point, if I'm not in a hurry I shift at 2000rpm simply because of the noise.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Adrenaline said:
I can't stand my Sunfire's engine noise after 2500-2600rpm so I always shift at that point, if I'm not in a hurry I shift at 2000rpm simply because of the noise.
What type of noise is that?

·
Registered
905 Posts
It's sort of a low rumble that just gets exponentially worse as the rpms get higher. I wish my parents originally had gotten the 2.4L as it sounds a heck of a lot more powerful then the 2.2L that's in there. My dad's 2000 Ford Ranger 2L 4 cyl. does the same thing, it just doesn't sound good after 2500rpm.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
HAHA! That's the original reason that I shift there! Except my noise isn't a normal engine noise... It's more of a rattley 'something broke off inside the engine' noise. It's odd that you don't hear it all the time, but it was a grinding/rattling metal noise right around 2600. It's just because I bought a POS with 220k on it. But oddly enough, it doesn't make that sound anymore. In the last month or so since I know I'm getting a new car soon, I drive it like I stole it basically (well, not all the time). So on occasion I've run it up to 6k. I think after a few times of going all the way through the rattle (it stops at about 4k or so) it just stopped doing it. It sounds so good because I've got a Fram Air Hog and it also feels so much more powerful up there! I just haven't been used to it because I've shifted before 3k for the last year. But yeah, I used to granny shift because my engine made a horrible noise, but now for some reason it doesn't make it anymore so I can drive it harder. Only problem now though is I can hear my clutch squeaking/chirping/slipping. I dunno if I can milk it for another couple months or if I should spring the cash and fix it right here before my new car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Adrenaline said:
It's sort of a low rumble that just gets exponentially worse as the rpms get higher. I wish my parents originally had gotten the 2.4L as it sounds a heck of a lot more powerful then the 2.2L that's in there. My dad's 2000 Ford Ranger 2L 4 cyl. does the same thing, it just doesn't sound good after 2500rpm.
What year is your sunfire? My guess is that it was the pre-ECOTech 2.2 liter engine which has a different sound. I had a 97 cavalier (and 5 speed manual) with that engine. Oddly enough the 5 speed had a better sound than the automatic. The reason I think this is a pre-ecotech engine is that they dropped the 2.4 liter option once they switched to the ecotech. There were a few reasons for this I think. One the ecotech is all aluminum where the 2.4 twin cam was an iron block. The 2.4 twin cam only put out 10 or 15 more HP than the smaller 2.2 ecotech where the old 2.2 (which was an iron block with aluminum head) was down some 30 to 35 HP. Thus, a reason for offering a second engine. The ecotech is a better engine then the old 2.2. It has more torque, more horsepower, and has a higher redline.

The one area where I think the ecotech loses out is on gas mileage. My 97 cavalier would get about 30 mpg in the city and 35-37 mpg highway. But that is not important to me on the Solstice.

Can't wait to get mine.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I also suspect that constantly running on lower octane could damage valves. My V-Rod also requires 91 and like the Solstice has a performance tuned higer compression DOHC motor. To my pleasent surprise a recent MPG test on the HD came through at 40MPG under combined highway/city and moderately hard driving. Sometimes you can have your cake and eat it too!

·
Registered
905 Posts
scott1715 said:
What year is your sunfire? My guess is that it was the pre-ECOTech 2.2 liter engine which has a different sound. I had a 97 cavalier (and 5 speed manual) with that engine. Oddly enough the 5 speed had a better sound than the automatic. The reason I think this is a pre-ecotech engine is that they dropped the 2.4 liter option once they switched to the ecotech. There were a few reasons for this I think. One the ecotech is all aluminum where the 2.4 twin cam was an iron block. The 2.4 twin cam only put out 10 or 15 more HP than the smaller 2.2 ecotech where the old 2.2 (which was an iron block with aluminum head) was down some 30 to 35 HP. Thus, a reason for offering a second engine. The ecotech is a better engine then the old 2.2. It has more torque, more horsepower, and has a higher redline.

The one area where I think the ecotech loses out is on gas mileage. My 97 cavalier would get about 30 mpg in the city and 35-37 mpg highway. But that is not important to me on the Solstice.

Can't wait to get mine.
It's the 97 Sunfire SE (coupe), yeah I get around 32 mpg with a combo of city/freeway driving on 87 Octane.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
dori-san said:
HAHA! That's the original reason that I shift there! Except my noise isn't a normal engine noise... It's more of a rattley 'something broke off inside the engine' noise. It's odd that you don't hear it all the time, but it was a grinding/rattling metal noise right around 2600. It's just because I bought a POS with 220k on it. But oddly enough, it doesn't make that sound anymore.
That description sounds a lot like what my car does due to a bad catalytic convertor. It's a really obnoxious metallic rattle that tends to be more prevalent when I first start the car and then go away once it gets warmed up. It will come and go sometimes and I notice it at idle speed and also at certain RPMs more than others. The cat is right under the passenger compartment, so it's rather annoying. I'm pretty sure a cat wouldn't last 220k, but possibly somebody replaced it a while back and the second one is going out. Mine has been doing it for quite some time, but I'm hoping it goes away sometime. I understand that's not uncommon.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I also thought it was sh*t rattling around in the cat, but I studied it when it was making the sound and I'm almost certain it was coming from the front of the valve cover. The KA24DE is notorious for having the timing chain rattle up against the upper tensioner. When I had some service done a few months back I had them remove the tensioner (this was a common practice among the forum members, claiming that the timing chain rattle was eliminated). It actually seemed to be worse for a little while, because there's also a lower tensioner that people remove that has no effect and I assume it was this one that was actually making the noise. But like I said, it made the noise up until about a month ago when I actually started to rev it higher and it seemed to 'get over itself' as it were.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the help on the fuel question. Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been out doing my work thing.

·
Registered
976 Posts
My Sol said:
Thanks for the help on the fuel question. Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been out doing my work thing.
Actually no one answered your question right. The car DOES NOT NEED PREMIUM FEUL, according to my training dvd at the dealership. it takes regular unleaded, and the other answer was right, 20/28 mpg.... Anymore questions?

·
Registered
976 Posts
GradSoulStice said:
sorry if i dont believe you but with 10.4 compression its gonna take premium to run right.
your allowed to disbelieve. I have a supercharged GTP that requires premium so i do understand the importance, but I am merely quoting my training. I assume GM wouldn't put it out there where a salesman could get it if it was wrong.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts