Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought some Plasti Dip and wanting to paint my winter rims to cover up some really bad scratches, but I didn't have the wheels with me and wanted to fool around with the dip.

Ended up doing this:

It's not fully cured yet, but it'll dry matte. Got the inspiration from the Corvette Grand Sport:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
I never understood putting those stripes on the Grand Sport vette.

Stripes like this originated in road racing as a way of identifying the rookies at any particular track. While they sometimes appear on both sides of a car, if on one side only they are on the pit wall side of the car, so that the pit crew can ID the rookie from the veterans when there are more than one car on a team and they are painted alike.

I had them on my Solstice in a flat black vinyl for a very short while, early on.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never understood putting those stripes on the Grand Sport vette.

Stripes like this originated in road racing as a way of identifying the rookies at any particular track. While they sometimes appear on both sides of a car, if on one side only they are on the pit wall side of the car, so that the pit crew can ID the rookie from the veterans when there are more than one car on a team and they are painted alike.

I had them on my Solstice in a flat black vinyl for a very short while, early on.
But this is another explanation:

Is there any history/relevance to this kind of stripe

Says that the "rookie stripe" is on the back bumper instead.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,480 Posts
But this is another explanation:

Is there any history/relevance to this kind of stripe

Says that the "rookie stripe" is on the back bumper instead.
Yes, in NASCAR racing the rookie stripe is two yellow stripes, horizontal on either side of the rear bumper.

For forty years I have heard these stripes (angled, above or near to the front wheel arch) referred to as "rookie stripes", and I'm referring to amateur road racing and/or sports car road racing .

Regardless, they look good in the first post.

:dthumbs:

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Of course Dave, you're no longer a rookie! :D

Sent from my GT-P1000R using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's dried up now, but I actually need to peel it off and redo it. When I peeled the tape off the top, I let it dried a little too much so it started peeling on the edges...

Probably gonna try again with more layers.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Yes. After a few washes they went away. I still have a few minor spots that are still there tho. Not sure why???????
That is weird...seems like there would be some kind of warning about cleaning and caring for the "dipped" surface.

I'm wanting to experiment with some different striping designs and this seems like it might be a could way to go. Of course, I'm only allowed to do my experiments on my Solstice...then once my wife sees it and likes it then I get the privilege to modify my wife's... :willy:

·
Registered
79 Posts
That is weird...seems like there would be some kind of warning about cleaning and caring for the "dipped" surface.

I'm wanting to experiment with some different striping designs and this seems like it might be a could way to go. Of course, I'm only allowed to do my experiments on my Solstice...then once my wife sees it and likes it then I get the privilege to modify my wife's... :willy:
I just think I went a little heavy with the dishwashing liquid and didn't rince it off all the way. And in the a.m. the dew wet the remains causing spots when it dried.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I did the center of my hood... let me see if this works.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just plasti dipped my wheels, door handles, and A pillar.

Wife is happy so that's all that matters

Nice car man! Love the yellow/black combo! Try dipping your emblems, gas cap, side mirrors, and rear spoiler :) if you don't like it peel it off :) I'd also dip the humps directly behind the seats that is painted silver from the factory and the grey bumper area that surrounds the exhaust outlets.

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
Nice car man! Love the yellow/black combo! Try dipping your emblems, gas cap, side mirrors, and rear spoiler :) if you don't like it peel it off :) I'd also dip the humps directly behind the seats that is painted silver from the factory and the grey bumper area that surrounds the exhaust outlets.
That's the Tulip panel...and yes, it looks great when the A pillar is done too!

I did something I don't think anyone has tried...I took the Clear plastidip and put 3 coats on my tail lights, then used 2 coats of Nightshade to tint them. Sure was a LOT easier than the steps for Nightshade alone! And it can be untinted now if I want, or tinted darker if I like. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
961 Posts

Did mine the other night...

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,733 Posts
That's the Tulip panel...and yes, it looks great when the A pillar is done too!

I did something I don't think anyone has tried...I took the Clear plastidip and put 3 coats on my tail lights, then used 2 coats of Nightshade to tint them. Sure was a LOT easier than the steps for Nightshade alone! And it can be untinted now if I want, or tinted darker if I like. :thumbs:
That's a great idea. Allow me to try out the tinted lights. I'm just worried about marring the Plasti-dip putting the lights back in on my coupe (they have to wedge in under the deck lid)

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts