Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dashboard and tail lights stopped working, so I checked fuse 62, and 69, Fuse 69 was blown, so I replaced with a 15a fuse, everything was fine, but after a couple of miles it was blown again, I replaced with another 15a fuse, but now the fuse instantly blew.

Any suggestions?

Wiring diagram?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Refresh my memory.....there's so many new members (which is awesome!!!), I can't keep track of who's who. Was your car a flood salvage? If so, your issue more then likely lies in your BCM. You will probably have to replace it. If not, it's going to be a matter of first replacing the bulbs (least expensive and least time consuming) to tracing everything back to the fuse. I guess the second thing I would do would be replace the brake light switch. Then if it's still blowing, start wire testing to see if you have a grounded wire. Then, before you try to replace that wire, run a good one around the car, test the circuit and make sure it doesn't blow the fuse again...if it does, then there's something else that's "crossed" somewhere that would be putting a load on that circuit.

Another thought is this. The taillights do not come on until the ignition is in accessory mode. Do your taillights come on then? Does it blow the fuse? If not, hit the brakes....do the lights come on? Do they blow the fuse? If so, like I said, start with the bulbs making sure they are correct, then replace the brake light switch....the least expensive and less time consuming of anything!! Good luck!

Maybe someone else can add to this as my knowledge is a little limited on the electrical side of things!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to mention, the gauges work perfectly fine.

No my car is a clean title, no flood or wreck accident.

Brake lights work, what does not work are the instrument panel and taillights.

The first time I replaced the fuse I drove the car for a couple of miles, I parked the car and went grocery shopping and the lights (gauges and tail lamps) were not working again, I checked the fuse and it was bad, so I replaced the fuse again, but this time no lights no even for a second, so I proceed to check fuse again it was bad.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Forgot to mention, the gauges work perfectly fine.

No my car is a clean title, no flood or wreck accident.

Brake lights work, what does not work are the instrument panel and taillights.

The first time I replaced the fuse I drove the car for a couple of miles, I parked the car and went grocery shopping and the lights (gauges and tail lamps) were not working again, I checked the fuse and it was bad, so I replaced the fuse again, but this time no lights no even for a second, so I proceed to check fuse again it was bad.
What you are describing is most likely a dead short somewhere. Look for a grounded hot wire in the tail lights and front markers to start.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't know if the power outlet is on that same circuit but I had a similar situation with my van where a metal ring had come off the end of a charging unit inside the power outlet and it would bounce around and sometimes cause a short,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts