Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The January issue of Road & Track has a preview of the future Miata, MR2, and Volkswagen roadsters along with drawings of each. Here are some of the highlights:

Miata: Length 157.0”, 92.5” wheelbase, base engine 1.8 liter 145 bhp, optional engine 2.0 liter 180 hp, curb weight about 2,500 lbs.

MR2: Slightly larger than prior model, more rounded body, power plant rumored to be a hybrid (4 or 6 cylinders). No word in the article on whether it will hit the US

VW: Close to getting the green light for a 2007 intro. Top end version to have a 250 bhp 3.2 V6.

They also show a photo of a yellow Opel coupe on the Kappa platform.

I recommend picking up a copy of this issue at the news stand.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Thanks. I thought MR2 was discontinued (at least in US)?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
The Miata guys are reporting the same article predicts that S2000 will also stop production too (something about slow sales?). If that's true WOW.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Toyota has officially killed MR2 for the US. It disappears after 2005. I suppose they could bring it back down the road if they develop a new one they think will sell. However, they could have it in the article even if it won't be available in the US market I suppose.

Losing the S2000 would be somewhat of a surprise to me, although not totally. It has its draws, but I think its engine is a drawback for some of the more casual roadster buyers. It also has been an expensive Honda. Maybe they should be selling it over at the Acura dealer as a cheaper sports car to compliment the NSX.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The MR2 is still big in Japan and some other Euro areas. It's just here in the USA where we all drive "Yank Tanks" (name in the UK I've heard some people call SUV's) that the MR2 was waining. Same with the S2000 I believe.

If the S2000 is also dropping out of the market it's a good and bad thing. Leaves space open for more domestic roadsters to fill it and the MR2's space. But it also shows the major decline of the roadster in America might actually be coming about.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
brentil said:
But it also shows the major decline of the roadster in America might actually be coming about.
I guess GM's roadster move is either bold/brilliant or stupid depending on which way it goes ;)

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
tcl said:
Miata: Length 157.0”, 92.5” wheelbase, base engine 1.8 liter 145 bhp, optional engine 2.0 liter 180 hp, curb weight about 2,500 lbs.
The Miata dudes on their forum are saying this is wrong...should be 2.0 base and 2.3 option for US market.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
mceb said:
The Miata dudes on their forum are saying this is wrong...should be 2.0 base and 2.3 option for US market.
What do they say the power outputs of these engines will be? Have you seen if they've gotten any rumored price info as well?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
brentil said:
What do they say the power outputs of these engines will be? Have you seen if they've gotten any rumored price info as well?
148 and 180 but this is all speculative because Mazda has been very quiet about the new Miata and has not released much at all. I think this stuff is just now starting to leak out in dribs and drabs.

I think the rumored price is in line with today's Miata (low to mid 20?)

And you think we have little to talk about, they seem to have a tenth of the info we have on Solstice
;)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Ahhh, they're board like us too. So that's why they're making fun of our Solstice. :D

My only question with the engines is, why would they go from the 1.8L that already produces 142 HP to a 2.0L that produces about the same power. Unless they're trying to faze out the older engine?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Toyota has officially killed MR2 for the US. It disappears after 2005. I suppose they could bring it back down the road if they develop a new one they think will sell. However, they could have it in the article even if it won't be available in the US market I suppose.

Losing the S2000 would be somewhat of a surprise to me, although not totally. It has its draws, but I think its engine is a drawback for some of the more casual roadster buyers. It also has been an expensive Honda. Maybe they should be selling it over at the Acura dealer as a cheaper sports car to compliment the NSX.
Goes to show that the roadster market is split I think, between the low end (Miata, make a profit on volume) and the high end (Porshe, make a profit on margin). That middle ground is murder, too many choices and they have to compete with used high end cars. The S2000 is too expensive for what it is, and I met a S2000 owner once who told me that unless you keep your foot in the gas all the time, it drives pretty much like a Civic. Still I thought there would be enough hard core Honda fans to keep it going. I guess this assumes the artical is correct.

The MR2 leaving makes sense to me. Goofy looking, low power and no trunk. Not sure why you'd buy one. Hardcore Toyota fan? Hate Miatas that much but can't go upscale? Totaly love mid-engine concept? Watch too much Anime? I don't know, but it clears a little space for the Solstice. :D

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Not sure where Road & Track got their info but 1.8L and 2.0L are what they stated for engine sizes.

Like many people on this board, I'm planning on acquiring the Solstice, but given that it will be months before it comes out, I'm leaving my options open until GM starts taking orders. That's why I am curious about how much larger the new Miata will be. I keep coming back to the Solstice test that contrasted the Miata and Solstice by saying you feel like you're sitting "on" the Miata and "in" the Solstice. Also, I have fairly wide shoulders, so the width of the interior is very important to me.

The main competition for the Solstice in terms of my purchase is that new VW mid-engine roadster, but I don't think I want to wait two more years to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
tcl said:
The main competition for the Solstice in terms of my purchase is that new VW mid-engine roadster, but I don't think I want to wait two more years to see how it turns out.
Even if the VW comes to market, I would bet that you'll spend a whole lot more to get it. VW seems bent on pushing it's brand upscale, so I would bet that the R would be in the mid 30's at least. Anyhow the Solstice looks cooler! JMHO of course!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
AeroDave said:
Even if the VW comes to market, I would bet that you'll spend a whole lot more to get it. VW seems bent on pushing it's brand upscale, so I would bet that the R would be in the mid 30's at least. Anyhow the Solstice looks cooler! JMHO of course!
Yes, I think the V6 version will be priced in the $30's. As far as styling, the VW drawing in this R&T issue looks pretty good.

I need to see a Solstice in person to help firm up my decision (the prototype tests already sold me on the car's driving attributes). I want to be sure it looks as good in the flesh as it does in the photos. Hopefully it will be at one of the 3 auto shows in my area over the next 3 months.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
Goes to show that the roadster market is split I think, between the low end (Miata, make a profit on volume) and the high end (Porshe, make a profit on margin). That middle ground is murder, too many choices and they have to compete with used high end cars. The S2000 is too expensive for what it is, and I met a S2000 owner once who told me that unless you keep your foot in the gas all the time, it drives pretty much like a Civic. Still I thought there would be enough hard core Honda fans to keep it going. I guess this assumes the artical is correct.

The MR2 leaving makes sense to me. Goofy looking, low power and no trunk. Not sure why you'd buy one. Hardcore Toyota fan? Hate Miatas that much but can't go upscale? Totaly love mid-engine concept? Watch too much Anime? I don't know, but it clears a little space for the Solstice. :D
I agree the S2000 is probably on the pricey side, and it certainly is out in a no-mans land between competent cheaper models, and faster, easier to drive on a daily basis roadsters that are a little more expensive.

The other factor against the S2000 is its styling. How long has this roadster been on the market? It has been a number of model years now. The styling is stale, and roadster styling generally has a short shelf life. The Boxster is about the only roadster that has not seen a sharp sales decline as the design aged. I think it managed that based on how well it did drive, and the badge on the hood. However, it’s the exception and not the rule.

The Honda is just old, and people want newer style and an engine with a wider and lower powerband. If they don’t kill it, they should try to redesign it to accept the 300 HP V6 they have in the new Acura RL. Now that would be a sweet roadster!
:thumbs

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fformula88 said:
The Boxster is about the only roadster that has not seen a sharp sales decline as the design aged. I think it managed that based on how well it did drive, and the badge on the hood. However, it’s the exception and not the rule.
Just wait till the Coupe Boxster comes out next year. I'm betting there will be an even bigger spike in Boxster sales then. Because damn, that's one tight piece of machiney. That's where I'd like to upgrade to after I've had fun with my Sky/Solstice.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
brentil said:
Just wait till the Coupe Boxster comes out next year. I'm betting there will be an even bigger spike in Boxster sales then. Because damn, that's one tight piece of machiney. That's where I'd like to upgrade to after I've had fun with my Sky/Solstice.
When the Boxster first came out I read that you could not access the engine from the top of the car. When I opened the trunk of one recently, I saw a little hole for the dip sticks and fillers, but could not see whether it was possible to open up anything and get to the engine unless you accessed it from underneath the car. Is this still the case with the current model? I couldn't stand the thought of owning a car and not being able to see the engine.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The Coupe will more then likely be the same way still. It'll just look more like a 911 now. Personally I don't care if I can see the engine or not on a Boxster Coupe, I just want one.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Thats a good point. The Boxster is not very service friendly. I am not sure if the redesign allows more access from the top or not, but I wouldn't bet on it.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Thats a good point. The Boxster is not very service friendly. I am not sure if the redesign allows more access from the top or not, but I wouldn't bet on it.
More then likely not, because the engine is still mid mounted, not rear mounted like the 911. The thing is though, it's a Porsche, who cares :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts