Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:devil:
ok I had to figure out some creative title to get views here.
Seriously, what are the chances of the following type of solstice / SKY in 2008 from
0 chance- no way it'll stay the same with a few new colors

0 chance- no way pontiac or saturn says bye bye before 2008

to slim chance- might happen if sales are not up to par.

to good chance- gm does a turn around and continuously improves like the japanese and koreans in order to survive

2008 Solstice base price $21,000

-10 yr 100,000 mile powertrain warranty (to match hyundai)

-std. 2.4L ecotec, std. abs, traction control, on star, stabilitrak, and xm radio (first items per some gm press release that all of it becomes std. gm by 2007, xm radio now std. to match hyundais announcement that xm is std. as of 2005)

-options same available as 2006 + hard top ($1000) + magnetic selective ride control ($2000) + gps with dvd ($1000) + hud ($500)+ 2 premium metallic colors ($500)

-colors: same as now - one of the silvers + yellow + orange + 2 premium metallics

-optional engines:
-2.0L direct injection ecotec 40+ mpg(with 125 hp) $500 option
-1.8L direct injection ecotec 50+ mpg(with 125 hp & hybrid system) $2500 option
-2.4L turbocharged ecotec 30+ mpg(with 240 hp & intercooled) $2000 option

-dealer installed available through gmpp
-carbon fiber hood ($1000)

Now This might more pertain to the sky (some of the options) since lutz mentioned that the solstice is supposed to be a "back to basics roadster". However, according to GM's own decision it will soon to be cheaper to build in a whole extra bundle of electronics as standard (abs, tc, on star, stabilitrak) then have them as optional. Therefore, what is considered an extra now will be considered basic in a few years from now.

p.s. I am also just dreaming up the powertrains as some variants on ecotec that I hope they come out with in the future, so dont flame me TOO hard!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Thats assuming that Pontaic is even around in 2008. Talk radio this AM had GM annoucement that if sales don't improove GM says bye-bye to Pontiac and Buick. My bet Buick would go first, then GM sells Saturn before killing off Pontiac.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I suppose anything is possible. Some of those predictions probably more so than others. The more technical options probably won't happen on the Solstice. They might have a better chance on the "more upscale" Sky. I also doubt we will see a lot of multiple engine choices, especially engines with those kinds of mileages all that soon.

Howver, I am sure Pontiac will try to keep up with what the market wants. If Gas goes up to $4-$5 a gallon by 2008, maybe they will be dropping ultra efficient engines in them.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
You probably wouldn't see half of those options due to GM not offering them now, or due to them beign upscale. You might expect to see some of them if they made a Buick or Cady Kappa car.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well since most everyone has to wait a few extra months...anyone want to revive this thread?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think 2008 will be same engine with a turbo option...

Some additional Color choices...

If Pontiac goes away the Solstice will stay under another GM brand... or maybe there will only be GM at that point.

·
Registered
114 Posts
PAS22 said:
Thats assuming that Pontaic is even around in 2008. Talk radio this AM had GM annoucement that if sales don't improove GM says bye-bye to Pontiac and Buick. My bet Buick would go first, then GM sells Saturn before killing off Pontiac.
which division sells more cars, Pontiac or Buick?

The next two years are crucial for the survival of GM. Kerkorian is going to make waves. These new models must sell, they simply have to start getting more unit sales for the G6, LaCrosse, etc.

if the UAW had half a brain - they would renegotiate the contract. if GM folds, the UAW will too.

Regarding selling Saturn to someone China would buy that division in a minute and move all production offshore.

·
Registered
299 Posts
NO plans to ditch Pontiac or Buick.

That comment was confirmed as being incorrect. it was just some executive voicing his Opinion, and not the views of GM or Bob Lutz.

We will still have both pontiaca and buick for a while. IF they do ditch one it will take em 3-4 years to fase them out.

Thats story is almost 2 months old anyways

·
Registered
381 Posts
Plus, Buick's buyers are generally between the ages of 60 & dead, not the biggest car-buying demographic. No Buick? Move them up to a Cadillac. The manufacturers want to capture younger buyers & keep them loyal for life. Pontiac has been cultivating the sporty image to appeal to the younger buyers. That's where the future is.

2008? Let's see: 240hp turbo 2.4 liter Ecotech (up from 225 in 2007), 6-speed, heated seats, Dept of Homeland Security tracking device, 4 different shades of silver, no yellow. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
boost,
hahaha love the comment about the 4 different shades of silver. On an autoweek forum someone pointed out that ford gives the customer 2X the color choices (15 in europe vs 7in the usa) on one of their models. They also mentioned how they are all different, not a bunch of similar shades. Why cant auto mfg. give us more color choice?

·
5,600 Posts
WaitingForBoost said:
4 different shades of silver, no yellow. :)
:glol: for being witty but :cryin: for being true.

·
Registered
49 Posts
davioh said:
boost,
hahaha love the comment about the 4 different shades of silver. On an autoweek forum someone pointed out that ford gives the customer 2X the color choices (15 in europe vs 7in the usa) on one of their models. They also mentioned how they are all different, not a bunch of similar shades. Why cant auto mfg. give us more color choice?

Because Silver is the number one selling color for 3 years running, Its easy on the eyes, and not to offending or abrasive. Sure some enthusiast would buy yellow, but there are 20,000 non enthusiast who want a car that looks classy and isn't going to get tired, which bright colors are known to do.

I hate silver, but the big three are simply making what sells. And right now people want boring conformist colors that don't stand out...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts