Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed the oil in my NA a week or so ago and my lifters began to rattle. the rattle went away mostly after about twenty seconds but was still noticeable. Did some googling about lifter noises and came up with an interesting GM bulletin. Not solstice specific but pertaining to their four cylinder engines in general. Over filling the crankcase beyond the max (mine was over the max) level will allow the crankshaft to contact the oil in the crankcase causing it to froth. These tiny air bubbles in the frothy oil will find their way into the lifters and, since air is compressible, will cause lifter rattle. Removed about 1/2 qt. of oil and the rattle is gone!! Even on startup! Most of you guys probably already knew this. I didn't.

·
Super Moderator
7,175 Posts
Changed the oil in my NA a week or so ago and my lifters began to rattle. the rattle went away mostly after about twenty seconds but was still noticeable. Did some googling about lifter noises and came up with an interesting GM bulletin. Not solstice specific but pertaining to their four cylinder engines in general. Over filling the crankcase beyond the max (mine was over the max) level will allow the crankshaft to contact the oil in the crankcase causing it to froth. These tiny air bubbles in the frothy oil will find their way into the lifters and, since air is compressible, will cause lifter rattle. Removed about 1/2 qt. of oil and the rattle is gone!! Even on startup! Most of you guys probably already knew this. I didn't.
Certainly a good reminder, but this is not unique to GM four cylinder engines. Many engines have the upper oil level close to the lowest reach of the crank and will have the same problem.

·
Premium Member
3,858 Posts
maybe this is the cause of the noise in my Kia - I will have to check

·
Registered
588 Posts
yes it sure can .it can also kill bearings. thus windage trays, baffels,scrapers,kickouts , trap doors etc although with the oil pan tray in these engines I dont realy see it doing it.I think you may of just cavatated the pump and had more air enter than normal.many hyd lifers do not pump up readly when areated air is in them. thus most new lifters come pree filled.did you remove filter remove oil pan plug and leave it to dran a while? that could let the oil in the system drain back morecompleatly especialy if the pump has a tad more clearance than it should,then putting on the new filter and cap, thus traping air in the system, then uppon restart, it's trying to pump air....even though the oil level is high it may not pull it quickley and can areate it in the pump due to cavatation. some older type engines if you fill the new oil filter and install it totaly full the pump may not pull up oil from sump as the are it's pumping wont be able to move due top the oil in the filter. it is a good idea to put oil in the filter, but never full leva it about 1" down.try not to fill and let is settell down to that inch, do it slowly so the filter media does not get saturated with oil.as that is a restriction for the air to push through. big block chevys had some issues with air in oil, thus GM added air bleeds in the lifter gallys for the air to escape, after it was escaped those bleeds oiled the timing chain/gears very well. most of the time there is no problem, but when the stars are in the right phase.....it can.

·
Registered
588 Posts
many times if a lifter wont pump up due to air, you just shut down the engine for 3 min, restart for about 5 sec, repeat 3 or 4 times and if everything is good( good as in no bad parts or issues) it will pump up as the air is bled out of it from the engine not running. this is usualy the case with new engine with "dry" lifters. it's very hard to fill a empty lifter, it's a good idea to soak new lifters in can of oil for a few days rotating every so often.before installing.not all come prefilled....Ive gotten them both ways from same manufacture's. never revtune a engine trying to get a lifter to pump up..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts