Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My thermostat, which has always displayed at 187f while moving, suddenly started dropping as low as 182f and then would go back to 187f. took it out and put it pot of water on the stove, heated it up and watched it open. let it cool and watched it close. It was sticking! It would open, stop, and then pop open a little more. Same thing happened as it was closing. Did this with the new tstat and it was a very smooth movement from full closed to full open and back. put in the new tstat and all is right with the world again.

·
Super Moderator
7,323 Posts
I think that sticking is actually the most common mode of thermostat failure by a large margin. You just happened to notice it in its earliest stages.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
While you're replacing the thermostat, drill a couple holes in its outer ring, to allow air to bleed through. I've put water in a couple engines this way and never had to burp either.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
While you're replacing the thermostat, drill a couple holes in its outer ring, to allow air to bleed through. I've put water in a couple engines this way and never had to burp either.
done that before, did this one too. works like a charm.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Make sure you use only ACDelco!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts