Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Now that we've seen the new 'vette's ability to turn left (Daytona 500 pace car) it's time we got on Bob's case to get the Solstice to lead Indy. 99% guarantee from some Indy-watching sites that GM will provide the pace car as Ford does not power any current Indy entrants. Wouldn't it be cool to see a Solstice with a light bar AND the ability to hit 120 in the back straight.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
GM seems to always pace the Indy 500. I cannot remember a non GM car pacing it. Heck, they even had an Olds Bravada SUV pace it a few years ago.

Rumors online seem to indicate a C6 Corvette will be the pace car this year. Maybe the Sol could get a shot next year, corresponding to the intro of an F/I engine. The base Sol may not have the power to do it without modification.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
If I were them, I'd pick GTO or SSR to try to pump up sales of those vehicles. I mean that's the point. Product placement and exposure. If sales of GTOs and SSRs are dissapointing, then put 'em out there! Vettes and XLRs will sell themselves, and the Solstice and Sky don't seem that qualified for the task.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Vette that paced the Daytona 500 was sweet.

The Pontiac Grand Prix paced many NASCAR races as late as 2003, when they stopped participating.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
SSR did the duty in 2003, and with Corvettes in both 02 and 04 I would put my money on the GTO. A great place for the Solstice to debut would be one of the racing schools or "driver's challenge", IMSA??? where all cars are prepped by same crew, with random engine swaps between races and drivers draw straws for car color. Pure equalized who is the better driver.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
achieftain said:
Pontiac has led only 3 times and Corvette was last year, but that in itself would not stop a repeat. Some speculation on GTO or Caddy XLR.
It did pace it last year, but that was a C5 Corvette. Now that they have the C6 on the market, I can definately see them chosing it. The C6 Corvettte did pace the Daytona 500 yesterday :lol:

I could see the GTO, but I think they will wait for the Zeta platform GTO to honor with pacing the 500. It certainly is a good option for them to pick, but will they? Other dark horses could be the Grand Prix GXP V8, or Bonneville GXP V8 as a highlight of its swan song, maybe the Cobalt SS. We'll see!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
achieftain said:
SSR did the duty in 2003, and with Corvettes in both 02 and 04 I would put my money on the GTO. A great place for the Solstice to debut would be one of the racing schools or "driver's challenge", IMSA??? where all cars are prepped by same crew, with random engine swaps between races and drivers draw straws for car color. Pure equalized who is the better driver.
The new IROC Solstice! Originally IROC (from International Race of Champions) was done with Porches but when that proved too expensive, GM stepped in with the Camaro. Irony is the Solstice looks so much like an old Porche. Problem is the name IROC is still identified with Chevrolet. But a FI version Kappa would be perfect in that venue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I owned a 1974 formula firebird that I loved god rest it's soul in the auto graveyard in the sky she had a big block 350 3/4 race cam four barrel carb dual exhaust and nose scoops to die for.She was destroyed by 50mph rear impact from a careless volkswagon driver at the tender age of 13 just when her aftermarket parts were really making her shine. I loved looked her straight in her160mph speedo grip her wheel and stomp her gas pedal, light to light and 0-60 has never been quite the same,she was a great car. Maybe Soltice can bring some of that passion that pontiac brought to me years ago not through raw horsepower but crisp handling and top down exhilleration of flying over the road in tune with the elements the sights the sounds and smells of real motoring.
Patiently waiting :patriot:

·
Registered
113 Posts
DreamerDave said:
The new IROC Solstice! Originally IROC (from International Race of Champions) was done with Porches but when that proved too expensive, GM stepped in with the Camaro. Irony is the Solstice looks so much like an old Porche. Problem is the name IROC is still identified with Chevrolet. But a FI version Kappa would be perfect in that venue.
Too bad IROC switched over to Daytonas. Nice cars but didn't live up to the Camaro IROC-Z name.

Ya know, if they did pace with a Solstice, we might just see it with the top up, :)

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
piippor said:
Too bad IROC switched over to Daytonas. Nice cars but didn't live up to the Camaro IROC-Z name.

Ya know, if they did pace with a Solstice, we might just see it with the top up, :)

How about "Trans-Am" Now there's a Pontiac moniker if ever I saw one. Too bad all they run in T/A is Toyotas. Solstice T/A or Solstice C/A for our Canadian friends (almost bought a LeMans Can-Am in the 70's, regional special edition)

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Forget Solstice T/A unless there were a coupe version. Rules don't allow convertibles and current cars share as much with road car they are based on as NASCAR does. i.e. carbon-fiber bodies on tube frames - Mustang, Camaro, Vette, Jaguar seems like a challenge for the GTO, instead. http://www.trans-amseries.com/TransAm101/History.asp

·
5,600 Posts
GM had great engineering and built some great cars in the past. I had a 1968 Mustang and it always made me jealous when my friends big GMs outhandled my car despite weighing 1000 lbs more. And why not, they all had front and rear anti-sway bars as big as my wrist!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Soul Stiz said:
I thought they switched over to Trans Ams or Formula Firebirds at one point.
I'm not sure on that one. I just remember you could by IROC Camaros while they were being used in the races. And then later they started offering IROC Daytonas, but only for a short time.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Did you guys know GM paid the SCCA $5 for every TA they sold? It was a royalty from the Trans Am series that started in the 60s...fun fact!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts