Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I've overlooked something. But I've been checking pontiac.com regularly. and today, they have specs on the G6 convertible. Is there an official word? Have the engineering problems been worked through with the life expectancy of the hard top? Will someone make me a happy man today with good news?!

·
5,641 Posts
During the last recent update, the G6 retractable hardtop convertible was not put back on site. It will remain off until Pontiac is ready to launch the car just after the first of the year. Everything is well with the project, there were never any problems to the level that the press built it up to, and it is still on.

Here is the latest info source with a quote from Pontiac:
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22215

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Small Dealer.
I called a local dealer to ask a few questions, too. And was actually pleasently surprised ot learn that I missed the first allocation. (Not a big deal to me, since my lease isn't up until June, so I'll jump on the next allocation)
So the engineering problems were apparently not only overplayed by the media, but not enough of a concern for GM to put off dealer allocation.

·
5,641 Posts
Don't worry, you haven't missed anything. Can't order the G6 Converts in VOMS and there hasn't been an allocation yet. The online order guides have not been added.

Pontiac is still targeting a January order start up, at this time.

·
5,641 Posts
Funny this comes up today, there is some retractable hardtop news from VW today.

"Volkswagen AG has delayed the launch of its Eos coupe-convertible model by two months to May 2006 due to quality issues, the company said on Tuesday."

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Small Dealer said:
Don't worry, you haven't missed anything. Can't order the G6 Converts in VOMS and there hasn't been an allocation yet. The online order guides have not been added.

Pontiac is still targeting a January order start up, at this time.
Wonder what the salesperson was talking about. He said I just missed an allcocation and the next one wasn't until January. I missed one? apparently not. Thank Small Dealer!

·
5,641 Posts
Dreamer said:
Wonder what the salesperson was talking about. He said I just missed an allcocation and the next one wasn't until January. I missed one? apparently not. Thank Small Dealer!

In last weeks VOMS allocation request box, the G6 Convert allocation group was listed. But it was not active, it was gray toned, you could not request allocation during that order cycle. Your salesperson might have seen that.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Small Dealer said:
In last weeks VOMS allocation request box, the G6 Convert allocation group was listed. But it was not active, it was gray toned, you could not request allocation during that order cycle. Your salesperson might have seen that.

:agree: ... Salesmen have a bad habit of creating hope on things like that.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Thanks SD for the update and link on the G6 'vert. Should be as fast as bigger GP with the 3.9 GTP version. Can't wait for test drive of it to compare with our current GTP.

·
5,641 Posts
Hear that GM will be could be announcing soon that the G6 plant will be down an extra week at Christmas-NewYear time to make plant changes for the production of the G6 convertible.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
G6 vert GTP degraded to 227 hp

pontiac.com now has teh G6 convertible back on the site but SD what bothers me is the performance numbers listed taht the GTP version of the convertible will only have 227 hp when the coupe and desan GTP's have 240 like the GrandPrix. Why oh why does GM continue to underpower what should be flagship cars. If anything 240 should be just a start. Or are they playing head games and someone just is not up to speed (no pun intended) in the web department?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I'm betting the engine is altered for fuel economy to help make it more reasonable since the car will now be getting lower numbers in general with the top down.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Fuel economy could be it. The 6 speed manual for the coupe is already rated at 18/29. That city rating is a bit low for a 240 HP V6 fwd midsize car. If the convertable scored 17 or 16 city due to the added weight, it would really be low.

I don't think Pohtiac is intending the G6 'verte as being an ultimate performance car. The G6 coupe certainly is not (I have had a couple turns behind the wheel of this car). It's primary competition is the V6 Solara, V6 Mustang 'vert, and Sebring 'vert. 227 HP places it well with those three competitors, close to all of them. Of course, it will be the only one with a hard top.

Besides, knowing GM, this car may be as quick as the 240 HP version, and they may just be advertising a lower number for some reason (insurance?). I am more disappointed they won't offer the 6 speed with the vert (it is a decent shifting 6 speed too, although it could use a shorter throw and really a 5 speed would be enough gears for the 3.9L).

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
In my experience, Convertibles do get a slight shaft in performance (lower RPM limiting and speed limiting, etc) because they are in fact... convertibles.

·
5,641 Posts
The Vibe front wheel drive and all wheel drive models use the same engine, but because of exhaust restrictions on the all wheel drive the engine horse power ratings are different by 5% (126 hp to 118 hp in the new SAE lower Toyota world) (Funny how GM's engines went up with the new rules and may of the others went down).

GTP 240 hp 3.9L less 5% is 228 hp.

Perhaps something mechanical on the G6 convertible is the reason?

Will keep my eyes open for anything.

·
5,641 Posts
Might be a good night to watch David Letterman tonight.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Small Dealer said:
Might be a good night to watch David Letterman tonight.
Why?...Are they going to announce a special website where you log on to get a number and run to your dealer the next day and...

I was actually considering replacing my wife's car with a G6 convert...very nice look. IF we do so it will be when the car IS IN STOCK! I won't pre-order another car again EVER. If it means waiting until the hype has died down and the quality issues are worked out so be it. That said I do believe the G6 drop top will bring some more buyers to this fairly descent car.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Isn't Oparah supposed to be on Letterman tonight too? Maybe she is going to give away a few hundred G6 'verts. :glol:

·
5,641 Posts
From CBS.com:

"Top Ten-Dr. Phil Tips for Interviewing Oprah"

#7) Don't bother asking........She ain't givin' you a car!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts