Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM annouces the G6 convertible today. Couple of interesting tidbits...

Convertible cues

The G6 hardtop convertible is built on the same platform as the coupe, but was strengthened in key areas to bolster vehicle rigidity. As a result, the G6 hardtop convertible has the same solid ride and precise panel fit as the G6 coupe.

A unique two-piece clamshell-style retractable hardtop was engineered with input from renowned German coachbuilder Karmann. It is the world’s largest retractable hardtop. A long top was necessary to enclose the spacious interior. The top’s backlight is glass with a standard defogger.

A double-hinged trunk lid facilitates stowing the top. It opens like a conventional trunk for cargo storage, but is reverse-hinged to accept the folding hardtop. A hard tonneau cover automatically appears as part of the hardtop retraction process, and there is no visible “stack” when the top is down – it simply disappears into the storage compartment. It operates with the touch of a single button, and the entire process takes less than 30 seconds. When the top is stowed, the trunk still provides 1.8 cubic feet (61 liters) of cargo space. With the top up, trunk capacity increases to 5.8 cubic feet (164 liters).

The door glass for the coupe and convertible automatically indexes (up and down) about 0.25-inch (6 mm) when the doors of the vehicle are opened and closed. This precision feature is more commonly found on upscale European cars, and is an example of the G6’s attention to detail. Additionally, a specially insulated headliner further quiets the raised top. It provides both acoustic and thermal protection. G6 convertibles are subjected to a stringent water test at the assembly plant.
http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=74&docid=10709

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
The G6 top sounds like a real piece of work for a vehicle at this price level! It should sell extremely well! Heck, I’d probably very interested in it if it weren’t for the Solstice.

However, how long before the moaning over trunk space begins? 5.8 Cubic feet with the top up, and 1.8 with the top stowed? It sounds like its essentially a Solstice out back as far as storage goes!

The other feature of these cars that I find really intriguing is the new 3.9L V6 engine, especially paired with the 6 speed manual transmission! These cars on paper sound like they should be a lot of fun to drive!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've gotta say... this hardtop is ill-matic!!!

Makes the Solstice top look like they used a black napkin for a roof...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Darkhamr said:
Hmm, how come I see Solara with Pontiac grille?
Some past spy photos of the coupe and convertible looked very much like a Solara from other angles too, especially the rear end treatment. Hopefully the server those red “X”’s are on comes back up soon so we can see the rest of them. I expect the rear end to be close to those Solara spy photos too. I have a feeling the resemblance is more than just a coincidence.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Darkhamr said:
Hmm, how come I see Solara with Pontiac grille?
Don't know, the new Solara is the ugliest peice of crap out there, and this car is mearly bland (just the way people seem to like it). Just hope they get their quality control up, as I have ranted before, the G6 I saw in a parking lot the other day had the worst paint job bar none on it. It was passable for Earl Scheib or Miracle, but a new car!!??

Slick top, nice engine, 6 speed, could be a great car if they get the quality control up.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Nope, Solara is as softtop, but the lines of both cars appear to be close. Same general wedgy shape, the high rising rear end, etc.
Ohhh you see, because I thought he meant it was a Solara and the only difference being that they put a Pontiac badge on it... ya know, kind of like the Pontiac Vibe and the Matrix.

How very very stupid of me.

Ok, I was being a wise-ass.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
:lol No, they didn't just change the badge. However, based on looks, some people might think they changed the badge and top, left the rest of the car! :glol The Solara is built off the Camry platform, the G6 is off the GM Epsilon platform (G6, Malibu, Saab 9-3, Saturn Aura)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Darkhamr said:
You are right, no resemblance. :confused

There's a huge difference.
The one on the left has a Toyota symbol and the one on the right has a Pontiac symbol. :D

Don't forget they've shared resources before with the Vibe/Matrix even to the point of GM Performance Parts offering the Toyota Supercharger kit.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I see another difference!! Pontiac cheaped out and didn't bother to paint the side mirrors the color of the body. :cuss I hope they are painted black, and are not that awful ribbed black plastic that some vehicles use for mirrors! Get wax on that garbage and they will be white for life! :cryin

·
Registered
535 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I see another difference!! Pontiac cheaped out and didn't bother to paint the side mirrors the color of the body. :cuss I hope they are painted black, and are not that awful ribbed black plastic that some vehicles use for mirrors! Get wax on that garbage and they will be white for life! :cryin
I know I'm a little anal about this, but MIC mirrors and door handles are deal breakers for me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Sorry, they're the black unpainted plastic you don't want to get wax on. Look at any G6 out there.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Thats real disappointing. I hadn't noticed those where the mirrors they were using. I am sure most people don't even notice, so its not a big deal overall, but I absolutely cannot stand that plastic stuff on mirrors, door handles, etc. It just screams cheap to me. At least smooth black plastic mirrors wouldn't collect wax, and could be painted body color if you really wanted to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts