Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone? Have Gravana or Kappasphear tested their products yet??

EDIT:

I'm going to ask another question. If Cold Air Intakes are so good, then why don't they come stock?

As well, is there enough room in the Solstice to but an Intercooler?

·
Registered
527 Posts
SlipSlider said:
Anyone? Have Gravana or Kappasphear tested their products yet??
No idea.

EDIT:

I'm going to ask another question. If Cold Air Intakes are so good, then why don't they come stock?

As well, is there enough room in the Solstice to but an Intercooler?
They do come with cold air intakes stock (at least, most do). The problem lies in several factors. 1st, they use plain 'ol paper filters. Not gonna argue about the performance of paper vs. cloth filters, but most performance people go with a filter that goes for more flow. Notice how purpose built drag cars don't even use filters or intakes. 2nd, the OEM one is designed to mask certain sounds. For example, on my GTP the Idle Air Control valve makes ungodly noises. The OEM intake completely hides it, and my cold air intake actually magnifies the noise. Until my engine warms up, it sounds like I have broken pistons bouncing around in my cylinders. 3rd, the OEM intake many times snakes around other components or even pulls double duty. The GTP intake houses the PCM, so it pulls double duty as a cooler for the computer. 4th, an OEM intake is designed for the stock engine. As good as it is for the stock motor, once you start increasing the perfomance in other areas, you should match the intake to the mods you have. If you have more flow with headwork, headers, cat-back, etc., you will find your stock intake to be woefully inadequate.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yes, ours has been dyno'ed. We've achieved a fattened mid-range for better driveability with our design. Once we have the final production part we will dyno it again and publish the results on our website.

Noise is a key area that a company like GM has to be concerned with. Some people like additional intake roar whilst others cringe at even the slight bit of noise coming from their engine bay. It is a difficult challenge for the OEMs to strike the best balance. The aftermarket does not have to worry as much.

Additionally most of the freeflow filters used in CAI can be washed and reoiled. OEM filters (generally made from paper or non-woven plastics) are simply thrown into landfills. BTW: The Solstice uses a non-woven type filter. You'll also notice that the Solstice intake has 2 resonance chambers to filter out 'bad' sound. They've done a brilliant job in keeping it quiet. A bit too quiet for our personal taste. :devil:

Our production intake will be on at least 2 cars attending the West Coast Solstice meet. Attendees will get a good chance to hear and drive our car to feel the difference. :)

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
It's mainly a sound thing. This isn't a dodge or some old Honda that has a terrible intake. This is the latest design from GM that is about as good as it gets. You may want to get a filter that flows better but understand that more air through means that a few more particles are being sucked through too. The larger (more surface area) aftermarket filter is usually where you pick up 2-3 more horses.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
bradyb said:
It's mainly a sound thing. This isn't a dodge or some old Honda that has a terrible intake. This is the latest design from GM that is about as good as it gets. You may want to get a filter that flows better but understand that more air through means that a few more particles are being sucked through too. The larger (more surface area) aftermarket filter is usually where you pick up 2-3 more horses.
It does have 2 air silencers on it, which has to disturb the air going down the intake. CAI will remove those, and you should be able to hear it sucking.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I replaced the air intake on my Miata about three years ago. The increase in power was moderate but the difference I noticed with the Miata was how much quicker it responded at lower rpm. The sound when I shifted into second and up was also fantastic. Unlike a loud exhaust system. I could keep my car quiet just by driving normally. If I drove aggressively it would really let out a deep growling sound . It was great. This will probably be the first Solstice modification I perform.

·
Registered
271 Posts
shinoo said:
Yes, ours has been dyno'ed. We've achieved a fattened mid-range for better driveability with our design. Once we have the final production part we will dyno it again and publish the results on our website.

Noise is a key area that a company like GM has to be concerned with. Some people like additional intake roar whilst others cringe at even the slight bit of noise coming from their engine bay. It is a difficult challenge for the OEMs to strike the best balance. The aftermarket does not have to worry as much.

Additionally most of the freeflow filters used in CAI can be washed and reoiled. OEM filters (generally made from paper or non-woven plastics) are simply thrown into landfills. BTW: The Solstice uses a non-woven type filter. You'll also notice that the Solstice intake has 2 resonance chambers to filter out 'bad' sound. They've done a brilliant job in keeping it quiet. A bit too quiet for our personal taste. :devil:

Our production intake will be on at least 2 cars attending the West Coast Solstice meet. Attendees will get a good chance to hear and drive our car to feel the difference. :)
What kind of time frame are we looking at for your cold air intake to be available?

·
Registered
312 Posts
RE: OEM air induction/sound baffles, etc.

GOOD GAWD...have you seen how much plastic is associated with the OEM Air Filter/Intake on our Solstice's?

Looks like a tupperware convention under my hood. It has baffles in front of the radiator and behind the radiator. Get rid of all of that and a V8 will fit fine! :)

They must have spent millions on that design alone!

Regards,
RadRiv

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
RADRIV said:
RE: OEM air induction/sound baffles, etc.

GOOD GAWD...have you seen how much plastic is associated with the OEM Air Filter/Intake on our Solstice's?

Looks like a tupperware convention under my hood. It has baffles in front of the radiator and behind the radiator. Get rid of all of that and a V8 will fit fine! :)

They must have spent millions on that design alone!

Regards,
RadRiv
I attached an image of the demo car I saw at my dealership recently. The primary resonator is the length of the intake tube, 1.5 times as wide, and more the twice as tall as the intake tubing itself. It's fricken huge!!! I can't wait to make mine go away.

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Performace gains from Intake

I have a preproduction intake on my car now. It does really clean up the underhood of the car. The Dyno results were very similar to the exhaust results already posted. The intake creates a more throaty sound than the stock system. I personally find it more pleasing. From a driving impression, I find it difficult to feel 10HP or less but in the 2500 to 3500 RPM range the car seems a little more responsive and less likely to lug. I have only a little better than 30 miles on the intake so far, but I will be better able to comment after driving to the Western Meet this weekend. :)

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
SolLate said:
I have a preproduction intake on my car now. It does really clean up the underhood of the car. The Dyno results were very similar to the exhaust results already posted. The intake creates a more throaty sound than the stock system. I personally find it more pleasing. From a driving impression, I find it difficult to feel 10HP or less but in the 2500 to 3500 RPM range the car seems a little more responsive and less like to lug. I have only a little better than 30 miles on the intake so far, but I will be better able to comment after driving to the Western Meet this weekend. :)
Is your car the one Fujita/KappaSphere has for test? Your icon is the image on the Fujita website.
::EDIT:: Question answered once images loaded. :D

Look at all that room you freed up too. So glorious.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, cleans the engin compartment up so well! You can actually see the alternator!

·
Registered
281 Posts
SlipSlider said:
...If Cold Air Intakes are so good, then why don't they come stock?
Also, the most effective CAI would be mounted in the front of the car low to the ground, where it's liable to be more vulnerable to water ingestion.

Passenger cars are designed for John Q. Public who lives in Anytown, USA, so there's generally a large amount of fault tolerance built into the car for hot, cold, dusty, wet, etc. all kinds of various driving conditions.

Paper filters keep the engine safest for the price, I bet, in addition to being quieter.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The Batman said:
Also, the most effective CAI would be mounted in the front of the car low to the ground
Not sure if I agree with this. On hot days, the air just above the road surface is notoriously heat-soaked. Also, getting a CAI down to the road requires bends, and for every bend you have to add ~10 feet to the effective intake length. Straighter is better, shorter is better, colder is better. I would think the most effective CAI would be the shortest, straightest line to the exterior of the vehicle. In the case of the Sol, the drivers side of the clamshell hood, just behind the wheel well.

Hmmmmm... <*ingites oxy-acet torch*>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts