Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Garmin GPS unit with lifetime updates. I am having trouble mounting it in my Solstice. It's illegal to mount something to the windshield with a suction cup in California. I tried the suction cup dash mount in my Saturn but the unit would just fall off. I went to a friction mount which worked fine for the Saturn with its flat dashboard. It's not working so well with the Solstice. The Solstice dashboard is all curves and slopes. The thing won't stay put. I want it to be up where I can see it because I can't hear it very well with the top down. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
That law sucks. I feel your pain. I invested in a 3M type sticky that allows you to attach it wherever. OK. So where? One suggestion is to close one of the dash vents and do it there. I tried to put it right behind the steering wheel on the cover, but it compromises the tilt wheel. I settled on the windshield as low on the pillar as I could go. 80mm 3M Dash Mounting Suction Disc Mount Garmin TomTom Magellan GPS Navigation | eBay

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
Several of us have attached the flat mounting disc to one of the 2 vents just right of the steering wheel. Easy to see there.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Northern - this is why I'm making a "clone" - for the iPod. I've already made a shorter cord to plug into the aux jack. Figured for road trips, why bother trying to pick 6 cd's when I can bring every tune I own with us.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Garmin make various mounts as do many after market sources.

The one I use for switching between cars (some of mine have the windscreen too far away to make suction mounting work well) is like this:

They are weighted and have a sticky underside so they don't slide around.

The other sort permanently sticks a disc to the dash top so you can use one of the suction base models. Either work, but I prefer not to stick anything permanently on my dash.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Northern - this is why I'm making a "clone" - for the iPod. I've already made a shorter cord to plug into the aux jack. Figured for road trips, why bother trying to pick 6 cd's when I can bring every tune I own with us.
Makes sense! I recently joined the 21st century by upgrading to an iPhone. I now have all my music stored in it. No more cd cases for me!!! When I do use the GPS in the Kuda Mount I have a iPhone case that wraps around my arm for running etc....am going to wrap it around the centre console hand grip and then I can have tunes and know where I am going!!!!:willy:

·
Registered
884 Posts
California law does not restrict attachment to the windshield. The law that went into effect a couple years ago--taking this from memory--restricts the location. For windshield mounting it has to be mounted in the left corner or right corner depending upon the size of the GPS. Smaller one in the left corner and larger one in the right corner--not to be mounted in the middle of the windshield.

·
Registered
884 Posts
California law:

(12) A portable Global Positioning System (GPS), which may be mounted
in a seven-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest
removed from the driver or in a five-inch square in the lower corner
of the windshield nearest to the driver and outside of an airbag
deployment zone, if the system is used only for door-to-door
navigation while the motor vehicle is being operated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I always had a problem with the windshield mount falling off at the most inconvenient times requiring me to grab the GPS before it flew out of the car. So, I made my mount a little more permanent

As you can see in the picture I used the windshield mount but I use screws from underneath to attach it. The installation takes a little more work but the results are great for what I wanted.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Garmin make various mounts as do many after market sources.

The one I use for switching between cars (some of mine have the windscreen too far away to make suction mounting work well) is like this:

The other sort permanently sticks a disc to the dash top so you can use one of the suction base models. Either work, but I prefer not to stick anything permanently on my dash.
That weighted base for the Garmin as awesome. Got one recently with a Garmin I picked up at Costco. Haven't tried it in the Solstice though but in the other cars it works great.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

That's what I am using now. It's ok for driving on the highway but it doesn't stay in place when the road gets twisty and the roads up here are all twisty.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
That's what I am using now. It's ok for driving on the highway but it doesn't stay in place when the road gets twisty and the roads up here are all twisty.
You probably want the stick on disc then so you can use suction cup mounts. Or just mount the unit legally in the left corner (although I always prefer right beside the rear view mirror).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts