Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here!

Did a search here and I did find one post with someone mentioning that the fuel gauge is hard to read. But I didn't see anyone addressing it after that.

Here's my problem. Visually, the gauge is set back inside a deep hole in the dash, making it really dark and hard to read in the daytime. At night, I have no problem reading the gauge. The back lighting is just fine. But in the day, I can barely see it. The other gauges (rpm and speed) are perfectly legible.

Anyone seen a way to improve the legibility of the gauge? Or is it just me?

2006 Solstice

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
2,830 Posts
If you would be inclined to take on the task of retrofitting I believe Black Cat Customs make a custom gauge face where you can specify the colors…

·
Registered
965 Posts
Put both hand at 12-o-clock on the steering wheel, the reflection makes the visibility a lot better.
This sounds odd but it actually works, I forget who 1st told me to do it, I was skeptical but it actually helps light up the cove the fuel gauge is in and you can actually read it. you just need to do it for a couple of seconds, I found most of the time I only need one hand at 12:00, but some times both need to be used.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but this hard-to-see gauge issue is only on GXP or some later models? My 06 NA has the original higher contrast gauges. Never a problem for me, and I don't even wear glasses.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I must have really good vision with glasses. I’ve never had an issue seeing the fuel gauge. It’s white with a black face and a black tunnel. The white jumps off the black like it’s lit even with the lights off.

·
Registered
136 Posts
For me i sit pretty close to the wheel for a 6 foot tall guy, my issue isn't qith the visibility of the gauges, but the depth. The tips of the gauges get cut off for me a little.

I may use the spacer mod in the other thread that was linked. It'll probably sole my problem pretty quick.

·
Administrator
10,690 Posts
Visibility of the fuel gauge definitely seems to be related to seating position. I don't have any trouble seeing mine, but I sit back as far as possible, so i think the viewing angle is better.

·
Premium Member
17,886 Posts
If you have the Drivers Information Center display, you can show miles to empty which is a great fuel gauge.

If you turn on the fog lights, it also turns on the dash lights and the fuel gauge illumination.

Another solution that has been tried in the past is to add a small LED light aimed at the face of the fuel gauge.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
1,934 Posts
I can usualy read my o6 cars gauge, but for some reasin my 07 gxp it's kinda hard to see...but it's all the same...I think it's the all balck interrior. I was thinken about a tint strip across the top of the windshield to help with seeing the gauges in the sunlight. florida sunshine is hard to get away from. moonshine too:eek:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
That's a great idea...but sometimes it's hard to read the miles too:oops:, sometimes I cant read a darn thing. Weather Im in the car or not:eek: .but it isant as bad as the effing toyota corrola we rented to go get this gxp last tuesday. wh is it that you pay for big LED screens and yet what they put on them is so small 1 you cant hardly read it or 2 they could of used a screen 1/5 of the size.....som ting wong.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
sorry my y dosent work all the time,I dont know y. our cars have a good looking dash, but there could of been something they could of done to make it a little more userable friendly. possiaby just not making the fuel gauge quite so deep.that would of been about a zero cost change. or very little. hmm I wonder if I can put a magnetflying glass in there!!! I need to pulle off the bezel any way, it rattels like hell. the PO said it was when they changed the air bag......undr the recall...ok, yup that could do it.o_O

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP Mysterious
597 Posts
That's a great idea...but sometimes it's hard to read the miles too:oops:, sometimes I cant read a darn thing. Weather Im in the car or not:eek: .but it isant as bad as the effing toyota corrola we rented to go get this gxp last tuesday. wh is it that you pay for big LED screens and yet what they put on them is so small 1 you cant hardly read it or 2 they could of used a screen 1/5 of the size.....som ting wong.
Toyota sucks. I'm the only person on the Internet with the balls to say it. What finished it was the tailgate handle that literally snapped off in my hand.

·
Administrator
10,690 Posts
Turn off the daytime lights. And as others have said ... a hand at 12:00 on the wheel.
Turning off the automatic lights will brighten the DIC and radio displays if the sensor thinks it is dark enough to switch to night mode, but that only occurs (in my experience) early in the morning and later in the evening. I will sometimes switch the auto lights off for a few seconds to read a display, but otherwise I think that having the DRLs lit seems more beneficial than not, and I have never seen any effect on the fuel gauge.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts