Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was driving my 06 base and was on a long trip. I keep my miles to empty info on the menu because seeing the gas gauge is difficult in sunlight.

I noticed it was at 211 miles to empty sooner than I expected. In a few minutes it showed 188. I stopped to get something to eat, came out, started the car and it was at 315.

have any of you had experience with an erratic gas gauge? Is it a known issue?

as the sun went down I noticed the gauge needle was matching the miles to empty text.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have noticed the gas gauge in my '06 floats depending on the angle it gets parked. Once on the road it levels out.

And once it gets below half tank it seems to drop faster than it does from full to half. So I always try to fill up at half tank.

Possible your gauge is floating causing the discrepancy?

[EDIT]

I keep my display on temperature, so I haven't experienced what you describe.

·
Administrator
11,666 Posts
Yesterday I was driving my 06 base and was on a long trip. I keep my miles to empty info on the menu because seeing the gas gauge is difficult in sunlight.

I noticed it was at 211 miles to empty sooner than I expected. In a few minutes it showed 188. I stopped to get something to eat, came out, started the car and it was at 315.

have any of you had experience with an erratic gas gauge? Is it a known issue?

as the sun went down I noticed the gauge needle was matching the miles to empty text.
As @Bama stated, the gauge is very sensitive to angle, so if the car was not on a level surface when you parked it would have had a very incorrect reading when you started it again.

The reading will also change significantly if you change the type of driving you are doing, since it uses recent consumption rate to calculate range to empty.

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP Mysterious
922 Posts
I have noticed the gas gauge in my '06 floats depending on the angle it gets parked. Once on the road it levels out.

And once it gets below half tank it seems to drop faster than it does from full to half. So I always try to fill up at half tank.

Possible your gauge is floating causing the discrepancy?

[EDIT]

I keep my display on temperature, so I haven't experienced what you describe.
Every GM gas gauge drops faster from half to empty than from full to half. It's almost like an algorithm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts