Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gas Guage Question

I put gas into the car last night for the first time. I only had about ¼ tank when I stopped at the gas station. I put in 10.5 gallons, got in and started the car. The gas gauge still read ¼ tank. I thought it was strange but perhaps just slow to respond.

I drove about 45 miles and it had moved up to 3/8 of tank. I parked and went to my destination. When I returned and started the car I had a full tank indicated. I have never seen a gas gauge respond this slow before. Any ideas?
:crazy: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
504 Posts
SolLate said:
I put gas into the car last night for the first time. I only had about ¼ tank when I stopped at the gas station. I put in 10.5 gallons, got in and started the car. The gas gauge still read ¼ tank. I thought it was strange but perhaps just slow to respond.

I drove about 45 miles and it had moved up to 3/8 of tank. I parked and went to my destination. When I returned and started the car I had a full tank indicated. I have never seen a gas gauge respond this slow before. Any ideas?
Did you buy the gas from FEMA,if you did,that would explain the response issue. :lol: :cool:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
SolLate said:

Could be a sticky float.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Some manufacturers intentionally design heavy dampening into their fuel gauge. This prevents quick changes due to hills, curves and bumps. Not that Solstice owners would drive rapidly around curves and over hills...

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
SATCH said:
Did you buy the gas from FEMA,if you did,that would explain the response issue. :lol: :cool:
Slashdot Mod: +5 Funny

·
Registered
316 Posts
Havent noticed any slow response and Ive now done three fillups. Ill check next time I do it though.

I have noticed that it seems to drop quickly, but Im driving it more than I expected I would.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Uh oh

GM is known for having touchy fuel level sending units. I had the sending unit replaced in my '99 GTP for a similar issue (though it started after 50,000 miles, and gradually got worse) and it has happened with my VUE as well, although that was only one time. Definitely report this one to the dealer if it happens again, and hope they make a record of it. I smell a TSB coming.

I think it might be time to open a problems/issues sub-forum. Mods?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Solstick said:
I have noticed that it seems to drop quickly, but Im driving it more than I expected I would.
that same thing happens to my new bus. 35 gallon tank, and im down to 1/4 tank after 2 days( my route drives 70 miles a day)

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
2KWK4U said:
GM is known for having touchy fuel level sending units. I had the sending unit replaced in my '99 GTP for a similar issue (though it started after 50,000 miles, and gradually got worse) and it has happened with my VUE as well, although that was only one time. Definitely report this one to the dealer if it happens again, and hope they make a record of it. I smell a TSB coming.

It is not necessarily the fault of the fuel sensor but the fault of the fuel. We had a regional rash of sending unit failures due to contaminants in the gas that were not supposed to be there.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Take it to the Dealer......

Take the car immediately to your dealer for repair. I'm a firm believer in having the little issues dealt with right away at your local dealer. :yawn:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did you turn off the ignition while filling the tank? I've had cars that are very slow to come up to full if the not turned off while filling.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
58MGA said:
Did you turn off the ignition while filling the tank? I've had cars that are very slow to come up to full if the not turned off while filling.
Yes, The car was off the entire time I was fueling.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
achieftain said:
It is not necessarily the fault of the fuel sensor but the fault of the fuel. We had a regional rash of sending unit failures due to contaminants in the gas that were not supposed to be there.
Seems I heard that before, too, now that you mention it. That would explain the 1 tankfull issue on the VUE. Matter of fact it was during a road trip that took me through your area!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm thinking gasoline contaminates also.
Several years ago I seem to remember a rash of bad gas being distributed that caused a rash of problems in vehicles.
The affected owners were instructed to take their cars to their respective dealers and the oil companies supposedly on their recommendation paid for all repairs.
I think most of the incidents happened back east, though in one particular incident that I know of, a completely restored Lockheed Constellation last 3 of it's engines because it was given bad gas supplied by Chevron.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Seeing as I started a thread about this very issue, I agree!

Seems there is discussion about this... I thought that was what all the planning and threads were about months ago, so that when it was time to roll them out, they would be here.

Oh well... the forum isn't moving along any faster that the production of the car.! :lol:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
2KWK4U said:
We have discussed adding such a forum. Changes are in the works, as soon as Troy has some time to get it done for us. :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
SolLate said:

I just filled mine up during my lunch hour. It was down to 1/4 tank. When I started it up... the gauge went straight to full.

You may want to have your dealership take a look at it.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I've got 1300+ miles on my Solstice and have only seen the gas gauge act strange once after a fill-up. I haven't gone to that station since and there have not been any further problems. I would be concerned about the gas. I have been running premium in my car, but I can say it does prefer some brands over others. Obviously some blends are better than others. If the problem continues I would talk to the dealer. Good luck.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
I've got 1300+ miles on my Solstice and have only seen the gas gauge act strange once after a fill-up. I haven't gone to that station since and there have not been any further problems. I would be concerned about the gas. I have been running premium in my car, but I can say it does prefer some brands over others. Obviously some blends are better than others. If the problem continues I would talk to the dealer. Good luck.
What brand & grade gas have you settled on?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts