Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Just want to clarify that I don't think being anal about something is a bad thing. On the contrary, it's people who aren't anal about anything that worry me. Lord knows I'm anal about a lot of things. Please don't take me calling you anal as a globally negative statement. :)

But to me, tracking gas milage every single fill up is just a plain waste of time. It does not benefit anyone or anything, not even your wallet. Tracking it isn't going to change the milage you get or the amount of gas you have to buy. Like I said before, knowing the basic mileage you get is good to know, but keeping records from fill up to fill up?????? Please insert emicon for being anal here. For now this will have to do. :crazy:

Gizmo, you are the keeper of the lists and you are quite a stickler about them. That makes you anal buddy!! :lol:

Trux, there is no doubt milelage factors into play when buying a new car. :yesnod: It's one of the reasons I dumped my old Tahoe. Like you it was costing me at least $50 a week, and that's when gas was priced lower. :willy: I only used to get about 12 miles to the gallon (which I would check up on every 6 months or so, not every fill up) and now I get more than 20.

Regarding the Solstice in particular, I think the fact that GM had several thousand (like what, 9000?) pre-orders for this car before the mileage information was known to anyone proves that most people didn't and don't care about milage in this car. If they did or do now, it's a very minor factor compared with everything else. :yesnod: Now if it only got 12 MPG, that might be a different story today and in the future, but mid 20's MPG is perfectly acceptable to a lot of people. If you want I'll do a poll on it here and we'll see if I'm right. Let me know, other wise I think it too, like tracking milelage on a constant basis, is a waste of time. :cool:

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Bonzo said:
Gizmo, you are the keeper of the lists and you are quite a stickler about them. That makes you anal buddy!! :lol:
I'm not so anal about being called anal anymore! :)

As to the lists,

it's a tough job

but someone has to do it

and I feel like any job worth doing

is worth doing right.

:cool:

·
Administrator
9,240 Posts
Bonzo said:
Just want to clarify that I don't think being anal about something is a bad thing. On the contrary, it's people who aren't anal about anything that worry me. Lord knows I'm anal about a lot of things. Please don't take me calling you anal as a globally negative statement. :)

But to me, tracking gas milage every single fill up is just a plain waste of time. It does not benefit anyone or anything, not even your wallet. Tracking it isn't going to change the milage you get or the amount of gas you have to buy. Like I said before, knowing the basic mileage you get is good to know, but keeping records from fill up to fill up?????? Please insert emicon for being anal here.
For now this will have to do. :crazy:
I track MPG to see how the car is performing and also to see if I need to change the way I am driving! Generally I am not that ANAL about much of anything unless I need to be (work related or organizing events). I have not taken offense Bonzo. :) (inserted emoticon for you!)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
gizmo2004 said:
Glad I could be of some assistance. :)

As to the lists, it's a tough job but someone has to do it and I feel like any job worth doing is worth doing right. :cool:
Yes Mr. Potato Head, you are correct again. I agree. :)

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
MomsSol said:
I track MPG to see how the car is performing and also to see if I need to change the way I am driving! Generally I am not that ANAL about much of anything unless I need to be (work related or organizing events). I have not taken offense Bonzo. :) (inserted emoticon for you!)
Awesome emoticon!!! Thanks!

Buy the way, the worse milage you get means the better you are driving. :lol:

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
You may call me anal. I track every cent spent, from waxes, fuel, tires, repair. But I'm not as bad as I used to be, I used to transfer the information to a spreadsheet once a month, and could tell you operating cost by the week, month, year, or over the life of the car.....:lol:

Or if you are impreseed with that you can call me Mr. Anal.

·
Registered
984 Posts
gizmo2004 said:

As to the lists,

it's a tough job

but someone has to do it

and I feel like any job worth doing

is worth doing right.

:cool:

:agree: :yesnod: while we are on an MPG kick how about telling what octane gas everyone is using ... it would be interesting to see the difference between the reg unleaded .... mid grade and the premium .... and if you use a major brand or one of the others .....and Giz ... being an accountant, you could make a spreadsheet and track this for us :) :)

·
Administrator
9,240 Posts
BRSolstice06 said:
:agree: :yesnod: while we are on an MPG kick how about telling what octane gas everyone is using ... it would be interesting to see the difference between the reg unleaded .... mid grade and the premium .... and if you use a major brand or one of the others .....and Giz ... being an accountant, you could make a spreadsheet and track this for us :) :)
I have been using Mid Grade, which at the station that I buy from is 89. Right now I have only purchase from BP.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
BRSolstice06 said:
I use premium, nothing but the best for my MARiSOL.

As for the list, I've already had my hand slapped today for keeping the list. So I'm going to wrap it up, no more additions, no more tracking. The MODs think I'm a bad boy, and they run the Forum, so let them keep the list.

Anyone who wants a copy of the Excel list, send me a PM with your email and I'll get it out to you.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
cdb said:
i just posted highway mileage i read yesterday. average speeed was 57 mph and fuel economy was 35.4 mpg
That is INCREDIBLE mileage! Do you keep a raw egg under the gas pedal?

Is this from the DIC or actually writing down the accumulated miles from the odometer, subtracting beginning mileage from ending mileage, and dividing by the gallons actually put into the tank?

Not doubting you, of course. But WOW!

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Octane

I would love to tank up with 112 octane Nascar SoNoCo at Texas Motor Speedway during our May 13 meet - then GIZ and I could open 'em up!

How do we disable the rev limiter?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
carlintexas said:
I would love to tank up with 112 octane Nascar SoNoCo at Texas Motor Speedway during our May 13 meet - then GIZ and I could open 'em up!

How do we disable the rev limiter?
The problem with that 112 octane at TMS is, it's leaded!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Keeping track of the MPG is just something to do. On my Yukon, I rarely kept track because it was depressing. I sometimes did on long vacation trips where I might record 19 MPG for a stretch, but mostly came up with 17 or 18 even all Interstate driving. Now, I get the same range out of my Solstice but at half the cost.

As far as grade, my tanks have all been Premium [93 octane] Chevron so far.

Also, my DIC has only been off by tenths from the normal measurements and one time was identical.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Okay, regarding the 93 octane thing:

I believe this is what is suggested in the owner's manual (help me out here fellas, I don't have my solstice yet). Will using 87 damage the engine at all?

I don't understand why an economy engine from the chevy cobalt would need 93. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
mabrylm said:

I believe this is what is suggested in the owner's manual (help me out here fellas, I don't have my solstice yet). Will using 87 damage the engine at all?

I don't understand why an economy engine from the chevy cobalt would need 93. Any thoughts?
Needs premium because of high compression ratio, 10.5 to 1, I believe.

·
Premium Member
10,382 Posts
You can use 91 octane if it is offered in you area, that is the recommendation on the manual.
Some folks have reported using 89 octane and seem to be happy with the result, I for one will either put 91 or 93 Only.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mileage

LatinVenom said:
You can use 91 octane if it is offered in you area, that is the recommendation on the manual.
Some folks have reported using 89 octane and seem to be happy with the result, I for one will either put 91 or 93 Only.
I am using 93 since 91 is only available at select stations. I have gotten as high as 26 highway with no passenger (via DIC display). I noticed as soon as I go to fourth it drops below 25. I did run a 1/2 tank of 87 since the manual stated it wouldn't hurt. I noticed a rough idle so I'm sticking with 93 to avoid ping.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
mabrylm said:

The engine recommends 91, but doesn't require it.

Why do you say this is an economy engine from the chevy cobalt? The 2.4L VVT engine is the higher end variation that was first announced in the Solstice. It's the engine found in the SS (non-Supercharged) cobalt as well. The 2.2L ECOTEC is the economy engine.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts